Post your favorite quotes. | FerrariChat

Post your favorite quotes.

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by gentry, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gentry

gentry Guest

We all do it. During a shouting match or some sort of psuedo intellectual social discourse, we rely on the thoughts and words of others to give profound meaning to our lives, our points, and our judgements.

I ask all of you to share with us some of those mooched musings as well as a brief statement as to why they are important to you, everything needs context.

I'll start.

"Act as if."
    This is a line spoken by Ben Affleck in a movie called Boiler Room, #2 on my list of all time favorite movies. And if any of you love money, are in sales, or like slicksters with *****in cars and nice suits, you should watch it. His point is simple. You can't sell someone if you are unsure of your abilities. So act as if. His examples were quite amusing as well.

If you have ever needed motivation to get on with something business wise, any of the board room scenes with Ben Affleck are worth watching.

You turn.

2. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Do your F**king job! - Me.

No matter what you do or how much you are paid to do it, do it well.
    If you clean floors and sulk around going slow, who is going to put you in a position with more power/ pay? Answer: no one!

When you wash your dishes, rinse the soap off. There nothing like pouring a cold glass of milk that over flows withsuds.

Doing somthing halfa$sed says a lot more about you than the job you are doing!

So do your F**king job!

3. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  4. gentry

gentry Guest

Nice.

5. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I think this is an old Scottish proverb, but I'm not positive about that. I'm sure I don't have this one exactly as it was originally written, but it goes something like this...

"Although I may be wounded,
    I am not finished yet;

I'll lay me down and bleed a while,
    Then rise to fight again"

To me, this says a lot about perseverence and not giving up when one hits setbacks in life.

6. 62 250 GTO

62 250 GTO F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Nova Scotia Canada
    Full Name:
    Neil
    Monty Python the guy in the woods getting choped. Yeah that's cool!

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Dear Gentry,

I would like to thank you publicly for your kind PM you sent me this morning regarding the investment in Texas real estate. For other folks info, the offer involves giving Gentry $100,000 and leveraging a loan for another $900,000 so he can do a land deal. The return might be around 10% in a year.

I regretfully cannot participate in this offer at this time due to the fact that you are a 25 year old that I have never met whose favorite quote is "Act as if" said by the particularly talentless Ben Afflack in a banal and tedious movie.

This public forum does place your generous offer in front of many successful people, certainly, by virtue of their shared interest in Ferraris.

I might suggest that in the future if you are trying to "act as if" you are a land developer, you might want to choose another quote to publicly wave.

Your truly, UroTrash

8. sduke

sduke Formula Junior

Mar 10, 2003
    The Hub City, Texas
    Full Name:
    Steven D
    #8 sduke, Aug 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  9. gentry

gentry Guest

The only reason you were sent a PM is you expressed interest. No good salesman would have let that pass without at the very least, a contact, which is all I did. If you weren't interested, all you had to do was so say.

To clarify or refresh your memory, here you go:
    Perhaps you were being facetious, but ya never know.

Rather than doing that and taking a profession tach, you chose to attempt to, Im guessing, humiliate me for having a business in which people can actually make money. Interesting.

As to the quote, and your opinion of the movie, you aren entitled to your opinion. I happen to like the quote and many others from the movie. It is a great motivational tool, a "Wall Street" for the next generation.

Now to clarify your details on my business offer. You don't give me any money. No check is ever written to me, or to the builder for that matter. The $100k would be required by the bank to gain a construction loan. Then the builder, who is also not me, would use the money to build a house. Then, at closing, the builder, the financier, and myself all get paid. Nice try at attempting to play me as a scam, but you should do a bit more research before you try to slander someone.

I broker venture deals, whether it be building luxury spec homes or investing in retail opportunities. I have a few ideas in my portfolio.

And out of curiosity, what does my age have to do with anything? Are successful business ventures reserved for those over the age of 30? And do you honestly think that I would sign any deal with anyone for such large sums of money without meeting with them first? Are you going to attempt to slander the builder too because the company is owned by a 24 and a 28 year old? I mean after all, they are only building 14 homes right now.

I appreciate your failed attempt at diminishing my professionalism or my abilities simply because you are not interested in the opportunity, misread it, or because I am only 25.

Perhaps you misread, or misunderstood, and I am willing to accept that as a posibility.

And as to your comment about doing searches, this post was asking for explanations as well.

Thank you.
    G

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ah Gentry!

You mistake my sarcastic “count me in!” for a desire to discuss business with you!

I think that when you first get on F-Chat and try to entice these people to do a million dollar business deal with you, you should seriously consider not telling us you favorite quote is “act as if”: that’s just NOT a confidence builder!

Also I might suggest that I did not misread any of your posts either here or on the other forums in which you post your sophomoric comments such as Bavarianspeed http://forum.bavarianspeed.com/member.php?u=210

A forum from which you are banned

Or in Houston –Imports.com http://67.15.4.46/~admin2/forums/search.php?searchid=397312&pp=15&page=2

A forum seemingly dedicated to the bling-bling NOS crowd. I must say I especially enjoyed your thread entitled "Stinky nasty b!tches", http://67.15.4.46/~admin2/forums/showthread.php?t=103242

your comments about trimming pubes and shaving pits were delightful!

I might suggest that if you want to have credibility on FerrariChat you may want to change your user name here, as the posts at these other sites do not portray a multimillion dollar land developer. That way you can “act as if” you are any one whom you choose to be and have a better chance of success.

I’m sure the successful members of F-Chat are just dying to hear about your vast and successful experience in land development!

I will now place you on my ignore list as I don’t have time to chat with a successful “designer-land development tycoon” such as you.

Yours,

UroTrash

11. gentry

gentry Guest

I have two choices here. I could take the "sophomoric" route and ask how a urologist has so much time to try to slander people he knows nothing about as well as google for information to assist in that task providing no actual information on my business skills at all, but instead, I'll take the road that provides my achievements. Fair?

Let me be clear here, I am a broker. I broker deals on venture projects. This could be anything from real estate deals (like the ones you are attempting to diminish) to retail startups. All of which have a solid basis.

That being said, I am not a developer. I don't build the home. I establish joint ventures between an investor, and a builder (one builder in specific) who builds homes in the range of $400k to $10m. This owners of the building company are both my age, and also quite successful.

Now, while some of my comments in a non-professional forum are "sophomoric", how exactly does that affect the way I do business? I am assuming, as a professional, a doctor, a urologist, you have never made crass jokes or pissed anyone off.

I was referred to Ferrari Chat by a member who specifically stated that it was a forum of successful professionals (I am a bit tired of the forums full of 15-18 year olds who do nothing but start fights and make posts like yours). And I will admit that part of my motivation was professional as I am ALWAYS selling.

"Act as if." is a perfectly valid statement for anyone. It doesn't mean necessarily mean PRETEND, which I do not do.

Anyway, I tried tying this up with you tachtfully in a private message, similar to the private message that I sent you this morning after you feigned interest, but you rejected it and again attempted to slander me in public. Am I to look to you for some sort of moral, professional, ethical or even personal high ground? I'll look elsewhere thanks.

I will say again, you could have simply said "No thanks, Im not interested" but instead you tried to inflate your ego by deflating mine. I find this especially odd since I have neither done nor said anything remotely course to you, but one thing I have come to learn is that some people... just are.

P.S. Thanks for dodging every point made in my last post.

12. gentry

gentry Guest

P.S.: thanks for hijacking my thread.

back to the quotes anyone?

"A.B.C. - Always Be Closing"
    Glenngary Glennross, all you need to know.

13. tclark

tclark Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Full Name:
    Tom Clark
    okay Gentry,
    Let's try to get back to your original thread.

My alltime favorite, meant to be said when discussing nutritional biases with
    a vegetarian:

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of meat".

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    "There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar. "

- Prince Sined Yar Maharg

15. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California

It's LIBEL! Argh! :D

-DC

16. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    "That's what I like about them high school girls. I get older....they stay the same age."
    Dazed and Confused

17. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Mental note: don't piss of UroTrash anytime soon :)

graphic, a few things I want to point out. I dont mean this as a flame.

I've met tons of young enthusiastic folks in the world who want to work a "big deal". Problem is, they always want to hit the jackpot. It doesn't work like that. Nobody else is going to take a risk and fatten your pocket while taking all the risk. Work your way up - do smaller dealer, and grow and grow (and learn along the way). Your reputation will preceed you, and others will want to work with you and share in your track record of success.

In general, when someone is acting as the middleman and putting a deal together in return for a piece of the action, he is working on behalf of the money guy, not the other way around. If it is the other way around, the broker usually has a very VERY solid rep and will take on select deals and call his circle of "money guys" to let them in on the big new deal he's got. They don't solicit on high-end car forums... like, ever. Biz deals are done to make money. Money guys already have money, so they have the power since they don't need to invest. It sounds to me like you aren't adding a drop of value to the equation, other than serving as a middleman to hook up investor and business guy. Since the investor has so many other options, what does he need you for? He doesn't. You add value if you have a track record of successful deals and you're a proven broker. But a proven broker would be calling his select contacts about this great deal, not soliciting online. My .02.

Furthermore, and please don't take this the wrong way, but from what you posted, it stinks all over. You say you broker venture deals. Not you "want to" broker them, but you DO broker them, which infers you've done it before. You can always tell how good a broker is the same way you can about a salesman. If they are well off themselves, you know they must be good at it. The guy I did my first biz deal with has a stable of nice cars and a big frickin' house. He's way better off than 99% of those he represents. He doesn't use his own money because he doesn't have to - he's good enough that he fleshes out legit and profitable deals and "allows" qualified folks in his investment circle in on the deal. His reputation and track record speak for themselves, so anyone investing is investing in his experience and reputation as much as the deal itself. See where I'm coming from?

And if this deal is so sweet, why are you brokering it and not doing it yourself? A successful broker could certainly swing $100k, no?

And if these guys DO build houses in the $400k+++ range (again, "do" meaning they've done it a few times already), why aren't they putting up the 100g's to swing this deal? How can a couple of guys who build million dollar homes not have $100k to drop into this deal? If it's hot and a potential payday, they should be able to take a loan against equipment, or secure such a loan with confirmed business they've got contracted but not paid for yet. If they have already used all that collateral to finance other projects, then what investor wants to drop his $100k (plus his $900k liability) on top of that house of cards? Exactly.

Couple of young guys running a construction outfit, hooked up with a 3rd guy of 25YO playing the "successful broker" game, looking for a pigeon, err, I mean investor to kick in $100k to secure $900k more (in the investors name, I presume) to fund a building project.... I'm guessing you're likely not interested in hearing others opinions on it, but I'm telling ya, it's just not going to happen.

18. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Getting this thread back on track....

"There's a sucker born every minute"
    P. T. Barnum

:D

darth550 likes this.
  19. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto

Just ask UroTrash (this is one of the better burns i have seen here)

20. Erich

Erich Formula 3

Sep 9, 2003
    Poway CA
    Full Name:
    Erich Coiner
    You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.

Stupidity cannot be cured with money, or through education, or by legislation. Stupidity is not a sin, the victim can't help being stupid. But stupidity is the only universal capital crime; the sentence is death, there is no appeal, and execution is carried out automatically and without pity.

Anyone who cannot cope with mathematics is not fully human. At best he is a tolerable subhuman who has learned to wear shoes, bathe, and not make messes in the house.

What are the facts? Again and again and again -- what are the facts? Shun wishful thinking, ignore divine revelation, forget what "the stars foretell," avoid opinion, care not what the neighbors think, never mind the unguessable "verdict of history" -- what are the facts, and to how many decimal places? You pilot always into an unknown future; facts are your single clue. Get the facts!

From the collected sayings of Lazarus Long, a character created by Robert A. Heinlein.

Reacherman1022 and NYC Fred like this.
  21. gentry

gentry Guest

I appreciate the input, and it would have been better handled in PM, but I will respond. And I don't take it as a flame.

No one is trying to hit the jack pot here. The company is 7 years old, going on 8 and has built over 20 homes, some in the 10m range. And while there is risk, it is medium to low, and very safe as an investment venture. My record is established as is the record of the builder. 20 high end luxury homes, with 10 more on the way.

As I mentioned before, you two cents is welcome, but could have better been served in private. Your theory isn't quite sound. While I am in this to make money, success is my primary goal. And to be successful, the people whom I serve (the investor) have to make money. Why should I limit money making abilities to the people I already know? That isn't smart for a number of reasons. For starters, it limits the amount of success and money that can be made by all people involved. Having a broad and expanding base of potential clients is a good thing, a very very good thing.

22. gentry

gentry Guest

*laugh* I knew someone was going to post that. Anyone that has seen the spider man movies should know the difference, my mistake.

23. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Whomever said "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" hadn't figured on the fury of an fchatter scorned!

24. gentry

gentry Guest

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value."
    -Albert Einstein

25. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    dude: you are overcompensating for the Bennifer line