CS stripe is actually a vinyl sticker! | FerrariChat

CS stripe is actually a vinyl sticker!

Discussion in '360/430' started by stradman, Aug 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    OK, when I ordered my CS I was under the assumption that the stripe is painted on by hand or something like that. When I saw a CS in person and felt it, you couldn't differentiate it from the rest of the paint. So I wrongly came to the conclusion again that it was a painted stripe. However looking on my CS, when you lift the hood and follow the stripe around the edge to the inside you see that the top coat runs out and it is plainly visible that it is infact just a vinyl sticker which they apply a top coat of gloss over so that you cannot feel it. I know 1 or 2 other CS owners have just realised this as well. I was wondering if other CS owners in the US or elsewhere were told it is not a sticker but actually painted on. Just interested in knowing (n.b. Don't get me wrong, I still love the stripe and it makes the car IMO)

Alex

2. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick

hmmmm. i see what you mean, but i'm not certain that it is a sticker covered by clear coat. i lifted the engine deck and examined the stripe and i don't see anything that makes me think it's a sticker. i have a friend who owns a repair/paint facility that specializes in ferraris. next time i have a chance i'll show him my car and ask him to examine the stripe. hopefully we'll get to the bottom of this. i agree that the stripe looks great, but there was such a big fuss about how much work (and money) was involved to paint the stripe in an elaborate manner that it will be upsetting if in fact it is a sticker.

3. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

That seems cheesey if it is a $6K, that's six thousand dollars, sticker. I find it hard to believe but sounds like you'll find out.

4. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    That's hilarious!

At first when I heard that this stripe was a $5K option, I assumed it was just a vinyl sticker and started calling it "The Idiot Stripe" for the obvious reason. Then later, when I actually saw it, and was told by the gushing salesman that each color in the stripe was masked and hand painted, and then the entire surface was clear coated, I was duly impressed and decided it wasn't such an Idiot Stripe after all...

But this new information changes everything! :)

5. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    An f-chat member up in the NW ordered a Stradale with a stripe, and he wanted to extend it somewhat. I thought he said that Ferrari was going to send him the extra stripe material so he could do it. That implied a sticker of somekind.

6. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    new cheap plastic way of doing things

doesn't surprise me

7. AHMTHSSN

AHMTHSSN Karting

Apr 16, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    AH
    The stripe on the CS looks very nice but it is a very expensive option if it is a sticker.

I remember reading in a magazine (cant remember which one) that you had had 2 choices. The first was a sticker that cost alot less and can be removed if you sold the car and the new owner didn't want it. The other was the more expensive choice and that was painted on the car and cannot be removed.

8. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    WoW that would really suck if that was the case but if it is and you still wanted to take the stripe of couldnt you wet sand the stripe down to the sticker you know wet sand the clearcoat off and then take the sticker off ?

if this is true that would infact be very disappointing indeed that means you could have bought the sticker for $500 because that is what the dealer sells it for then just have them clear coat your car over the sticker wich would cost aboout $1000. So altogether you payed $1500 instead of $5000 from the factory but then you have to say to yourself wouldnt it be worth it to just have the car come with the sticker from the factory and pay the extra 3,500 to have the stripe on the car when it arrives?

I say who cares you payed 200 for the car and does it really matter that its a sticker ? I think not. the car is a incredible piece of automotive art if it is in fact a sticker regaurdless right? RIGHT!

so enjoy your cars because in my eyes there is no other car that has the tanasity and the beauty as the FERRARI CHALLENGE STRADALE!!!!!!!

i would be upset that the ferrari is claming that it is infact hand painted but they could be getting away with that it is clearcoated and that is what they mean by hand painted.

9. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    damn... i always thought and think i read that ferrari hand paints those
    stripes on, thats why you dont feel any "grooves" from stickers etc...
    a little disappointing but agree with buttuz, a stradale is a stradale,
    with or without a stripe it is SICK.

btw... good trick putting a sticker and then clearcoating it.

10. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    All we need is a good attorney for a law suit!

11. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    actually legaly they could get away with this because it is in fact clearcoated. and technicly that would mean hand painted. Now if ferrari have it in wrighting some where that the red whit and green are carfully hand paited each color seperatly then you have your self a lawsuit.

But if they only have the words hand painted stripe in wrighting then technicly the clear coat was handpainted and you have no case.

Sorry eli but if you now dont want your stradale i will trade you my black 360 for it remember what you said before you have had evry color so far and nothing comes close to how beautiful the black looks.

I will be waiting.................in my drive way

12. JC360

JC360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    NYC...and soon WC 2
    Full Name:
    Jon C.
    i seriously think that i read somewhere from ferrari that
    the stripe (the red, green, white, etc) was painstakingly
    handpainted and takes then tens of hours to do.

anyway, titanium360, i too, would love to trade you my silver for your stradale.
    let me know if i should wait in my driveway too.

13. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    i didn't even get my car yet and you two are fighting over it! anyways who cares if it's vinyl or sticker it still looks awsome even if its a vinyl sticker!

14. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    AGREE 100%

15. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Does that mean I can 'retro fit' one to my 355 ?

Anyone care to design a picture on PaintPro (or whatever software it's called) ?

Rick

16. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    hey...ill trade u my titanium 360 for the stradale too. u got my offer as well :)

17. Jon@Tezta

Jon@Tezta Formula Junior

Dec 5, 2003
    Hong Kong / Jakarta
    Full Name:
    Jonathan
    so essentially owners can just get the stripe and have a body shop put a clear coat over it to make it look more factory?

18. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    This is a photo of the Stradale that Alex owns, if you look closely you will see that the stripe actually comes away from the paintwork where the clearcoat finishes.

19. iceburns288

iceburns288 Formula 3

Jun 19, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles M.
    Can someone take a close-up of the stripe? I have never (unfortunately) been able to see a CS in person and I never knew there was green in the stripe. Can someone show me a picture? And also, if I get two good pictures I'm gonna put the stripe on a Spider and see how that looks...

20. stradman

stradman Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Stradman
    As requested M'Lord

Alex

21. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    I always thought it was painted also from previous threads. but when you think about it, it looks too perfect to be painted.
    I recently saw a red 360 where the person had the stripe duplicated perfectly in a graphic material. It looked perfect also. You were able to feel very slightly the ridges of the different colors. But then again it only cost him around $300.
    I can imagine having to repaint the hood or other section of a CS would be a tough job to match up the colors and lines of the stripe.

22. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    If it really is vinyl (which I hope it isn't), I think it would require replacing the entire stripe, no?

23. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    well racing caws, dey do what de gotta dew. hoooo gives a f.k????

24. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i have a contact at ferrari. here's what i learned from him about the CS stripe. the stripe still looks awesome :)

"The Challenge Stradale stripe is made of a thin vinyl material. The vehicles that are ordered with the stripes are painted, striped and finished by an outside supplier who is specialized in this type of work. Not by Ferrari S.p.A.

The whole process is very time intensive and the CS stripe is applied on to the vehicle in a painstaking matter that leaves very little room for error. The finishing process is very elaborate and this is how they can achieve such a perfect finish where you cannot differentiate the stripe from the actual paint."

25. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    wow so then it is a sticker!