what is proper application of rtv sealant | FerrariChat

what is proper application of rtv sealant

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I will be putting my oil pan back on soon and have dressed out any nicks or cuts as best as I was able on the engine's surface. Permatex tells me to snug up then wait at least 5 hours before tightening to let it skin over then tighten it to spec. I would think that if I let it set it might not flow into the imperfections in the block as well. Any thoughts on the best way to do this.

Thanks

2. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    for oil use the ultra black RTV and torque to spec.

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I've always found the best way to use RTV is to drop in in the trash and select a different product. RTV always seem to end up where you didn't want it. I like permatex 518 on flange type joins like an oil sump if no gasket in used. With a gasket permatex #3 aviation sealant is pretty good.

4. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    i use the ultra black RTV at woork and on my cars to seal oil it woorks very good if you use a gasket ONLY put a thin coat of RTV.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Yes, it seals quite well. The problem is it tends to end up in places it shouldn't be. When the surfaces are clamped the excess oozes out and form a bead, which cures and is prone to come loose and lodge in oil passages. The factories use dispensers to control the amount applied so this doen't happen, but that is hard to do with a tube. On gaskets, it is just so slippery that the gasket tends to be forced out or position when you troque the bolts. 518 is a similar consistancy to RTV, but in anaerobic, so it olny hardens beween surfaces, any excess that oozes never hardens. #3 never hardens completely any where and is quite sticky, so it helps keep the gasket in place instead of forcing it out. The only place I have found RTV useful on the 308 engine is just a very small dab at the corners on the valvecover gaskets where they meet the oring. Just my experience.

6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    mk e's statement is right on the money. But I prefer 518 over #3. 518 works well with or without a gasket. Ferrari switches back and forth from 518 to silicone and the motors that they put together with silicone have more problems with oil leaks.

7. ria

ria Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    ohio
    Full Name:
    phill
    a thin coat will not be a problem

8. GTO84

GTO84 Formula Junior

Dec 13, 2003
    Aviation sealer is a good gasket dressing, but don't put rtv on gaskets or o-rings. Hylomar is good for o-rings since it stays gooey. Stay away from 'the right stuff' in the whipped cream can. Its a fix all type of sealant, and it dries too fast. Good for plumbing, or caulking the driveway. not cars.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I've used all of the sealants.

I agree with the others, RTV is dangerous if slightly abused.
    RTV has to be used very carefully, just enough so that a bead is barely becoming visible on the outside of the seam. Also, I try to not put any past about the middle of the seam so that there's less towards the inside of the seam. This minimizes the chance of a substantial RTV bead being on the inside of the seam where it can break off & cause trouble.

I do use RTV as a gasket dressing by smearing a thin film on the mating piece, then placing the gasket in place, pressing the gasket into the RTV, then wiping any excess off.

If in doubt, I'd use Hylomar instead of RTV, but it too needs to be used sparingly.

518 & 519 anaerobics have their places also. I tend to use them on fairly clean surfaces & RTV on surfaces I can't seem to get all of the oil off of as it seems to displace the oil better.