Tell me about Italia Football | FerrariChat

Tell me about Italia Football

Discussion in 'Europe' started by rob lay, Aug 5, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I've been watching the "World Championship Series" or whatever it's called. I don't know much, but it's several European teams competing in America. Some Italian teams like AC Milan or Roma I think.

Anyway, I studied in Scotland a semester and the football there is very structured with divisions and something like bottom two teams drop to lower division each year and others can move up. Stirling had a lower division team and went to a game.

So tell me how football is structured in Italy and what the teams are?

Does Modena have a team? I doubt Maranello would.

Where could I buy some jerseys to wear for fun?

Thanks,
    rob

2. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    You pretty much got it Rob,try reading www.uefa.com
    On the other side I did not know you studied in "My part of the World" I actualy live about 25 minutes drive from Stirling.Modena does have a team.
    Dave Mc

3. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Cool, I went up to St. Andrews to watch a pro golf tournament (Dunhill Cup or something like that). Of course there were no princes going to school there at the time. :) I was on the swim team at Stirling U., but we mostly traveled South to Edinburgh and Glascow.

4. urraco

urraco Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2004
    Mexiko
    Full Name:
    Nitram
    As a matter of fact: football is called CALCIO in Italy
    yes , there's one team called Modena
    and the Italian giant JUVENTUS is somehow related to Luca Di Montezemolo
    BTW that's the real football not the game you guys play and watch in USA that's a rugby's bastards son.

5. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  6. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
  7. maranello71

maranello71 Formula 3

Jan 23, 2004
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Andre
    Hi Rob, the Italian soccer league is "serie A" for the 22 top teams, then "serie B" for the second tier, then "serie C", and so on with several C2A, C2B, D, regional, provincial, etc... which get down to small village level. This is because EVERY Italian self-respecting village with at least 11 able bodied males WILL have its own soccer team.

And this does include Maranello - of course they have a soccer team, it's probably playing at regional league level. They can't get higher easily as they're surrounded by large, wealthy cities which suck up all the best talent (Modena, Bologna, Parma, Reggio Emilia... all these cities hover around Serie A and Serie B most of the time).

But even small-time teams sometimes make it big - rarely but it happens. A few years ago an obscure team called "Chievo" owned by a Panettone (Christmas cakes) manufacturer, under the guidance of a great coach and with young, ambitious players made it to "Serie A". And what is Chievo? It's not even a town - it's a suburb of Verona, a northern city of 200.000 inhabitants which already has its own major soccer team (which even won the "serie A" league back in '85).

And what did Chievo do? On their first season they played majestically and held up in the top 6 teams of the "big league"! Needless to say, in the following years the "big bucks" teams (Roma, Lazio, Milan, Inter, Juve) virtually stripped Chievo of all its top assets (players, coach) but it was a great dream for a while. Imagine it's like having a "Bronx" franchise team making it into the top 6 NBA teams: unhinkable!

Anyway, if you want fresh, updated information, highlight videos and mind-boggling statistics (like in the NBA) you can log on to

http://www.gazzetta.it/speciali/statistiche/2006/

(italy's major sports newspaper, also covers motorsports)

If you want any more info just PM me!
    Andrea

8. Blackbird4life

Blackbird4life Formula 3

Jul 8, 2005
    Great players out there!

9. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Forza Inter :D

10. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Thanks for the info!

While looking for jerseys online I found that even Modena FC made the A Division for a season a few years ago. I've had no luck so far for jerseys, one UK site posted was out of Modena jerseys and the other one only had off sizes. I might call the Modena number directly. Most Italian places I've called could speak English.