360 oil change | FerrariChat

360 oil change

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by solly, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Bought the suction device from Griot's garage, warmed up the 360CH, put the plastic tube down the dipstick tube, gave it a couple of pumps and voila- 1 quart of oil came out.

Apparently the dipstick has no straight shot to the sump, so that's all I can get out. Called my mechanic, and conventional oil change requires removal of entire underbody tray just to get at the drain plugs. The tray has about a million fasteners, any of which can come loose if not reinstalled properly by an amateur like me (which would totally disrupt ground effects at 140 mph and create a very interesting time for me).

There is NOTHING that can be done to a 360 by a DIYer. It's getting very frustrating not being able to do anything but write checks.

I need a simpler car.

2. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    sorry about your dilema

i'm not a fan of the suction device at all

yup, looks like you need to have a pro do it
    to be safe

3. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    Sucking oil out is anyhow not the proper way to do it – it does not get the fine metal particles out which are washed out if the oil is drained

Getting the underbody off is not that hard – put four large wooden blocks under the tires and you can easily slide under the car – that’s what my radar installer did – yes it has numerous screws but it should be a 20min job

Ping me if you want the oil change procedure from the workshop manual

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Last I checked the two oil plugs are out and visible under the car. You don't have to actually take the underbody out... I am pretty sure but maybe mistaking.

5. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    DO NOT REMOVE THE UNDERTRAY!!! IT IS NOT NECESSARY!!

There are two rubber caps that need to be removed and then you can get at the engine oil drain plugs. It is all outlined in your Red ownwers manual. Jod is real easy. The pain is removing the oil filter. It can be done without removing any part of the car but is a bit of a pain and messy-but not super hard.

Watch where you putthe jack to raise the car--again no issues but don't crunch the sheet metal.

I did my oil change a month ago and took me less than 1 hour from opening garage door to cracking open an Anchor Steam Beer upon completion.

GO FOR IT-IT'S ONLY A F**CKING CAR!

6. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Can you describe where rubber caps are? The 2 mechanics I spoke with both said undertray had to come out. If it doesn't then no problem. I have 24" drive on ramps and a slider, so I can get underneath easily.

Could you outline the steps necessary?

I finally managed to drain 5 liters in an hour by running the engine and suctioning out dipstick area while engine was running (constantly running to dash to watch temp and oil pressure). I then replaced with new oil, so I got a "partial" oil change, but did not get to the filter at all.

All this because I woke up this morning and felt like going to the track at Pocono tomorrow.

7. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    There must have been an Internet error -- the way I received your post, it said that you were running the engine in your expensive Ferrari while suctioning out the oil!

Good one!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  8. Just_some_dude

Just_some_dude Karting

Apr 1, 2004
    You can pay for a lot of oil changes for the price of a new engine. I wouldn't do this on a Hyundai let alone a Ferrari!!! Take it to the shop, write the check and avoid a very expensive mistake.

9. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    if you are looking at the car from the rear and more specifically through the right venturi underneath the car and once you pass the torsion bars you will see an opening I believe the two oil plugs are there... I understand oil has to be drained from both plugs...

Edit: Thomas_b has already offered you the shop manual for the oil change, why don't you take him up on that offer.

10. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I agree, this is one of those things,that after you are done and think about it for a while,you wonder what in the hell you were thinking.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    THIS HAS GOT TO BE A JOKE....CREATIVE WRITTING

12. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Weren't you the guy who was upset that the dealer just charged you $8g's more for repair work than you anticipated? If that's what ended up happening I think you're dealer should be doing this for you gratis. At any rate it's not worth the hassle if you're wondering about how to do it properly. Some things are better left to the pros ;)

13. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    What can go wrong with a simple oil change? If you have the proper tools, I remember seeing star type plugs on the oil pan, then what's the big deal. If you have never done it then I'd think twice otherwise an oil change on a Ferrari is exactly the same oil change on my chevy Suburban. It just takes 10 qrts of oil instead of 5.

14. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    attached is the complete procedure - hope it is readable

note the torque value for the engine drain caps - over torque and it might get very expensive

underbody has to come off if you do it by the book

15. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thomas, for better clarity, you might want to keep the files in original size and zip them up. You can attach a zip file without the size constraints of the images.

16. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    done - I still had to re-resize but now it is much better to read - thanks

zip file of 360 oil change procedure pages attached

17. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    Thomas- much appreciated. Thanks

Steven

18. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Just read the instructions and I am amazed. The intricacies of changing the oil and flushing th tube and the little mesh filter. Thanks for the post Thomas_b.

19. solly

solly Formula 3

Jun 2, 2001
    Westchester NY
    Full Name:
    Dr. Steven S.
    How much is that little mesh filter if you tear it while cleaning it?
    What should be used as the "degreasing agent" for soaking the mesh tube?
    What's the best way to access the filter?
    Is blowing compressed air through the oil line really necessary? This now calls for a compressor or at least an air holding tank-run back and forth to the gas station with a pocket full of quarters.

This oil change is complicated as hell.

20. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

with all due respect..............

!!!!!! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR FREAKING MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  21. Esprit

Esprit Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    CA
    The Griot's Garage Oil Changer Cylinder is fast and easy and DOES WORK WELL. In fact, it works better than the "normal" way. I use it on the Esprits and NSX.

To use the extractor, you simply remove your dipstick from your engine, insert the PROPER diameter hose into the dipstick tube and pump the handle about ten times. About 10 minutes later, all the oil has been sucked out of your engine and into the cylinder. The process couldn't be easier.
    At first I was a bit skeptical about this tool. I wondered whether it would be capable of extracting as much oil from the engine as through the drain plug. I turns out my skepticism was unfounded. The extractor sucked out every bit as much oil as through the drain plug. In fact, Griot's Garage claims that in an independent test by a Japanese magazine back in 1997, the oil extractor was able to withdraw an additional 71ml of oil on a late model Toyota. Due to the ultra tight packaging of engine compartments these days, it seems manufacturers are locating the drain plug in areas that compromise complete oil drainage.

All I can say is that it works. and at $64.95, it's not a terribly expensive tool.

I compared the amount of oil taken from a normal drainage oil change to that of the Griot's pump method and it seemed to have taken a bit more oil using the Griot's method.

That whole "metal particles will not be removed with suction" stuff is wrong. Draining the oil normally will actually cause particles to settle on the interior walls of the engine since the oil will slowly drain itself with the regular method. The Griot's Oil Extractor creates a vacum seal that sucks that oil out extremely fast, leaving nothing behind.

I'm sounding like a commercial but that stuff really works...

22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hey, but think of the money you'll save......and, it's therapy. JK, knock yourself out :)

23. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003

ouch Steven - I might not agree with how Michael has phrased it but I really suggest not to do this your way – this is a “little” scary; not sure if I can sleep this night - in fact I will not

I have accepted that all I do with my car is clean it and be a smart ass about all technical stuff – but I let the dealer do all services and fluid changes

24. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    :) hey i WAS bieng nice, the guys lug nuts cost more than my whole car . it just seems like a big risk to such a fine car. i would just wait until it could be done properly, and take the time to learn how to do it when there is no " pressure" on a pending event. i had to re - reread the " oil out while running " part and wait for my brain to re boot . scary stuff man!

25. atheyg

atheyg Guest

Never thought of changing oil this way by running the engine and sucking it out at the same time.

You could also remove the filter while running and it will do the same result.

But seriously if you did run the engine while sucking it out over an hour I would expect bearing failure soon no matter what the guages say they are lagging behind what is happening.Dry sumps pump alot of oil quickly and proper levels are critical.

Mimmo Blue likes this.