Sony X505 laptop - anybody have one? used one? | FerrariChat

Sony X505 laptop - anybody have one? used one?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Doody, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    curious to know if anybody here has or has used one of the new X505 laptops. they're now available in the US - they've been out in japan for a while now.

http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_BrowseCatalog-Start;sid=trDnxAnzgEDngEjmvBXtz0b-KYEFQbrQbvI=?CategoryName=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers_X505_Series&Dept=cpu_VAIONotebookComputers

in japan they come in two case materials: a nickel-carbon case or a carbon fiber case. i can't figure out whether both are available for the US market (obviously the japanese units can be imported). the CF saves a tenth of a pound and adds 20% to the price (according to the guys at dynamism.com - nb: it's cheaper to buy the imported japanese units from dynamism than the us units from sony - that's whacked).

any data?

the last tiny sony's (the SR and SRX series) suffered from a lot of case warpage - the materials (some metal, lots of plastics) weren't thick enough to hold shape perfectly over time. so, for example, my SRX99 doesn't sit entirely flat on all four of its feet, which get annoying when you're typing. i assume the new case materials fix this.

doody.

2. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That has to be the coolest looking laptop i have seen yet.

3. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Doody, PM me for my address so you can send me one when you get it... :D