Buying a 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Buying a 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by scott1967, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am looking to buy a used 328 GTS. If you had to list the three most important factors to look for, prior to buying a used Ferrari, what would they be? I am having a local Ferrari mechanic conduct a pre purchase inspection on Monday, but would appreciate others, experienced, thoughts. Thank you and hopefully I will be the next new Ferrari owner in this community.

scott1967

2. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    If the car has "around" 15,000, 30,000, 45,000 or 60,000 miles on it, make sure the major or semi-major service at those intervals has been done. Also make sure a compression check has been done recently (unless you're having that done as part of your PPI).

Mine, an '86 with 49,000 miles on it, needs suspension bushings, CV boots and probably shocks, so check those out in particular. And check the second-gear synchro and the air conditioning (though mine was fine in those regards).

Also check the accuracy of the tach (they tend to be slow) and the nighttime lighting of tach and speedo (though there isn't much you can do). And the handbrake will probably need some work.

The drivetrain seems to be the most robust part of the car, but check for oil leaks, especially around the oil cooler.

3. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Check the body over well. We had rust proofing but it still is not the best.

4. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    From my perspective:

* The lower the mileage, the better.
    * Car should not have been a garage queen - must have been driven regularly otherwise oil seals & gaskets perish.
    * Cambelts should have been done recently.
    * Original paint job.
    * Full service and ownership history.
    * Best to buy from a dealer - for peace of mind I would have preferred to have had a guarantee!

Good luck, MARK

5. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thank you for all the input. I will let you know how the PPI goes tomorrow.

scott1967