87-328 Brembo upgrade | FerrariChat

87-328 Brembo upgrade

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Roryferrari, Jul 21, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Roryferrari

Roryferrari Formula Junior

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    I'm looking to upgrade breaks all the way around. I've since replaced my shocks with new coil over double adjustables 300/250. (Nicks Forza). New tires and wheels: 235/35-19 front and 275/35-19 rear p-zero rosso's. Preliminary road tests and setup feels great! So without changing breaking bias and considering unsprung weight, what size or sizes would be considered for break sizes? I haven't weighed my new tire and wheel combos but the front feel the same as stock. The rears I know are more and I haven't actually put anything on a scale. Any improvements or consideration for e-breaks? Any thoughts? Any help appreciated !

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dave
    You can upgrade your brakes to 355 calipers and rotors at the front or have a set of brackets custom made for some 6 pot Wilwoods or similar. All dependent on financial appetite.

I don't think you'll have a F->R bias issue (IME with my 308, the car has rear brake bias anyway), but you can always add a bias valve.

3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Wow! 19"s may be some sort of record on a 3X8!

4. senna21

senna21 F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Charles W
    Call Precsion Brakes and see if they have an application already. If not the'll be able to put one together for you. They specialize in Willwood brakes. Full set up for an MR2 Turbo, 4-6 Piston fronts, 4 Piston rear (with E-Brake set up), and 13" Disc all around (Blank, slotted, or cross-drilled, or both) runs about $2,500. That's right. You'd pay more for a Brembo front only set for that price. I'd imagine you're set up wouldn't be too far off from that. If need be they'll even do a lay-away program for you. As it can sometimes take more than a few weeks to get the parts in spreading the payments out over a month or two (pay period or two) can sometimes help. They'll bend over backwards for you.

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/

http://www.precisionbrakescompany.com/custom.asp

I'd like to know what kind of quote they give you.

Charles Wells
    (aka senna21)

5. Roryferrari

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Does anyone know if 348/355 rear rotors will work on 328 '87'? Is the inside dia. on e-break the same as the 328? What would be the difference on mounting of the calipers? Could it be done? Mfg a bracket etc?

I have the set up 335's Brembos for front, so that's done. Trying to a match for the back not necessarily using a 2 piece rotor.
    Thanks!

6. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Rory--go back and search some of my old posts on brakes--I built a custom set for front and back. I calculated the rotor size caliper size to match the original front:back bias.

7. Roryferrari

Apr 28, 2004
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    Dave Bell
    Atlantaman,

Searched all of your posts. I found some references concerning breaks, your problem w/ Brembo, wheel bearings etc. etc. However no specific threads on rotor and break setup. Still trying to learn. (New owner) I've found endless hours of reading and doing searches on break conversions, but none seem to match what I'm looking for. I'll continue to look. Maybe archived at this point. Haven't looked there yet!

Regards

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Rory,
    First thing to do is pick a caplier. I went with Outlaw since they were local and make really high quality stuff. All caliper manufacturers can provide a variety of piston sizes in each model caliper. with this you can choose the right caliper piston area and rotor diameter to get the bias close to original ratio. Also you need to measure several dimentions on the hubs.
    I have a package that I put together with all my notes and information for machining a new set of brakes. I was going to start offering kits but my lawyer had a fit over the liability issues. I am however happy to sell the notes and information on how I did it. It will be up to you to get them built or perhapps contract some of the machining back to me. To recoup my investment I am asking 200.00 per info pack including CAD drawings and calculations. I will attach some pics tonight.

9. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I am bringing this one back up front because i have been receiving a lot of private messages asking for help on brakes:

in rough numbers the brake bias on a 302/328 is about 1.7 front: 1.0 rear..

the original rotors are quite small mostly due to having to fit inside 14" rims.

IF you have 16" or larger rims--go to big brakes baby---- if not--rebuild what you have and look for new rims.

The original front rims are about 10.8" diameter and the rears are slightly larger at 10.9" diam... You can go up to about 12.3 inches diameter without crashing anything. larger diameter rotors have a MUCH greater effect on stopping than getting bigger calipers.

I am an engineer and I have spent months doing the CAD and calculations for this. I have had my kit installed for about 1 yr now and the braking force is more than DOUBLED what the original was --WITH THE SAME BIAS.

I was going to produce a bolt- up kit but my attorney advised me to just offer the CAD and calculations as a package and let you build your own.

10. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Atlantaman, I am stuck with the ABS hub and no pre-grouped packages to buy.

Fronts:
    I was thinking of getting either the brembo 512TR front kit and putting it on. Why? Since the offsets for the front wheels are very similar to the ABS hub 328 (4mm difference). Since I have and will install soon 18's on my car, I do not worry about rotor clearance as much for the 355mm disk. I worry more about possibly hiting a strut/spring on one side or a spoke of the wheel on the other. Any thoughts on what I can do to calculate this out better? Again I base my selection of kit by which ferrari has the closest offset in the front. (namely the 512TR and the 550)

The other option is to get a caliper and caliper hat/carrier as well as disks set from a wrecked 550/ (front) and try to bolt that up directly. Again I choose this car since its offset is very similar to mine. (4mm difference)

The rears I am a loss for at the moment, but I was thinking of either contacting MOVit and getting a custom kit made or trying the same again (find a similar offset rear from another ferrari to the 328 and try and adapt it.

I worry about brake balance a bit, esp. if I go the brembo 512 route and have a massive 355mm disk and 4 pot caliper in the front and a tiny 278mm in the back. With a brake pop. value wouldn't this put a bit of stress on the rear?

Your thoughts would be great.

11. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Aura-- being an mathhead/geek engineer-- CAD and tons of funky measurement deals are everyday for me.

I have not looked too closely at the 328 hubs but suspect that they are almost the same as 308 units. Can you snap a few pics and send to me?

Maybe i can help you walk thru this

PS--you might want to look at Porsche and 300zx brakes too

12. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    #12 Auraraptor, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Thanks, I will do as soon as I get my car back from the shop. The hub itself is the same (I believe in design) as early model 328s, just its offset is different.

I am assuming that the actual track of the cars between 88.5 and early 328s/308s is about the same, then the actual hub height on later model cars is taller, and I assume the brakes positioned outward slightly more as well.

Like I said, as soon as I get my car back I will post images and figure this out for real.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

13. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    What wheels and what specs (offset, width, etc) did you put on? Let's see pictures!

14. Auraraptor

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Good Lord I just noticed the 19's now...I MUST SEE THIS!! :cool: