Trading a viper for an F355 question | FerrariChat

Trading a viper for an F355 question

Discussion in '348/355' started by Andy 98RT10, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andy 98RT10

Andy 98RT10 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andy S
    Hi,

I currrently have a 1998 Viper RT/10, but the Ferrari F355 has always been my dream car, and I think I am ready to trade in on one.

My question is how much of a price difference would I have to pay to get a '94 or '95 F355 with around 10-15k miles?

My current car is in very good condition, and it has both the soft top and hard top, with 14,000 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Andy

2. The first thing you have to figure out is if you are going to buy a Spider, Berlinetta or GTS, then you can figure out how much you will have to pay.

3. Andy 98RT10

Andy 98RT10 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andy S
    I'd actually be curious for a Berlinetta, in the earliest year.

4. The current price for a 1994 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta with 10,000 - 15,000 miles would be about $65,000.

5. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Of course the first 355 was in 1995 - not 1994... Unless you are talking build date which some were built in 1994 - but all are 1995 cars...

6. f355b

f355b Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    Little Silver,NJ
    $65,000.00? think thats a little on the low side.
    full history with belts done 10-15k i would say $75,000 cheapest.

7. AZLambo

AZLambo Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I agree. I wouldn't part with my '95 F355 for $65K (or $75K for that matter!)

8. mondial86

mondial86 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    MA
    Full Name:
    David Holmes
    My 95 355 is as good as they come,,imo,and I know what I am doing,14564,miles major done last oct.no valve guide problems,4000,miles on new tires,tubi manifolds and rear can,,no wear in the intieror,none at all,no paint work ,ever,the plastic coat stuff in the nose,and arround the tires,(great for cleaning the bugs off)the car runs and drives stellar.80 grand would get my interest but i would not sell it for that ,call me crazy but you get what you pay for . 65 grand will get you a 355 ,but not one with the history and condition as mine,or most of ours on this board!

9. 602rwt

602rwt Rookie

Aug 7, 2004
    I've owned both a Viper ('98 GTS) and a 355 ('97 Spider). You probably know that you're trading away a significant amount of torque. You might not be aware of the difference in build quality between the two. My Viper was very tight and fresh after 15k. The Ferrari, at 17k, had rattles, worn trim pieces, and ashed catalytic converters.

I had expectations of refinement that weren't met by the Ferrari, but in what mattered most--satisfaction--my expectations were met. I hope your experience is the same.

To answer your question, you'll be putting out about an extra $33k in your jump from the Viper to a 355.

10. Andy 98RT10

Andy 98RT10 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andy S
    I really like the viper, the whole idea was I just felt like trying something new for fun. I learned a lot about the F355 on this board. It seems like a very cool car, but I thought about it for awhile, and I think personally I'd enjoy the viper a lot more. I'll be keeping the viper, but probably have a Ferrari next to it someday.

Thanks for the help

Andy

11. bartman

bartman Karting

May 17, 2004
    new jersey
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I did the same trade. Had a 2002 Viper and traded for a 97 Belinetta. You can't even compare the 2 cars.

My thoughts:
    Viper was loud, uncomfortable to drive and tight inside. I didn't think it handled very well, especially at speeds 100+. It was a pure muscle car.

I love my Ferrari. I got it in Black which is very classy and the carbon fiber suede seats are great. It's alot slower than I thought it would be, but who needs speed when you're driving a F-car :) It handles incredibly and is much more comfortable inside.

Good luck with the trade

12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I had a 96 GTS coupe for several years and traded it on a 95 F355 that I have had for 4 years. The Ferrari is light years ahead in handling and braking. It lacks the torque and drag strip feel of the Viper. As far as an all around car, the Ferrari is way ahead of the Viper.

13. Andy 98RT10

Andy 98RT10 Rookie

Jan 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Andy S
    Interesting responses.....Would you know how the F355 compares in long-term reliability to a Gen II viper?

If I bought the Ferrari, I would plan on using it as a driver and keep it for a long time.

14. 602rwt

602rwt Rookie

Aug 7, 2004
    The F355 and G2 Viper are worlds apart in reliability. Just consider that the 355 requires MAJOR service every 15,000 miles. Dodge requires no such thing.

I recommend to anyone considering a Ferrari to set aside and lock up at least $15,000 cash for repairs.

15. Last I checked it was every 30k miles for the major...I still
    agree with your statement.

16. white viper

white viper Karting

Feb 10, 2004
    w.p ny
    Full Name:
    jon
    ok i can help you with this. i just got back from vegas where i rented a 355. and i own a viper. it all depends on what you are looking for. was thinking about trading in my viper until i rented a the 355. the differance is how you drive i like to drive hard and fast. and found the ferrari to be no where close to the viper. the viper is a caged animal waiting to break free. the ferrari was nice. and being young felt i got more bad looks or look he has daddys money when driving the ferrari. the other thing is the up keep for the price of ferrari services and parts i could buy another car. i drive my viper hard and never had a problem the car maybe cost me 1000 a year and thats with the 20,000 miles i put on the car. dont get me wrong a ferrari is nice looking car. it just all depends on your wants and needs.