What Else Do We Know About 0456AM? | FerrariChat

What Else Do We Know About 0456AM?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by El Wayne, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Pete Vack did a great job of uncovering little-known facts about this car's history at the hands of Roberto Rossellini while researching his two-part Forza article on Rossellini's Ferraris. What I'm asking here is:

1. What is really known about the car's history, post-Rossellini and pre-Golomb?

2. Exactly when and from whom did Golomb acquire the car?

3. How many times, when, and by whom has Golomb had the car restored?

4. At what point was the car first painted its current color?

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    According to barchetta - materials referred to are:
    FP p112
    SuR p88
    TF p110,111
    SN40 p31
    FSN
    FAlb1 p19

...which I gather you already have the majority of.

I'm guessing you've yet to receive a reply from W.G. - given your understandable hesitation to buzz him, and Vack competing with FML to some extent. might it be "time" to get Sheehan to give him a nudge on your behalf?

Is this the most recent pic? Even insane detractors can at least admire the wheels.

I see you covered some territory here...

and here, previously.

I've seen a "verde" shade on some other pics, namely on barchetta - though it's apparently been "Gridio Ingrid" for most of it's "documentable" life - were those "verde" pics actually on this one at some point or the other finned beauty?

3. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Possibly not all of them. Let me decipher the "Barchetta Code" first and see.

As you know, I have what I believe is the home phone # for WG, but am certain a cold call to the house would not exactly be the best means of gathering information. I've spoken to Pete about this in the past and he really has no more info than what was published in Forza. Pete and I are on the same page, as he's one half of VelocePress, the publisher that's waiting (oh-so-patiently) on me to finish their book.

Uh, no.;)

Hey, you've dug up my Telaio invitation thread... as well as a reminder of the generousity of fallen fellow F-Chatter Jens Haller.:(

Yeah, you're thinking of 0355AL.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    From: http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Literature/Literature.htm

FP p112 may be Ferrari Portofolio / Sergio Massaro / EDIAUTO / english|italian
    SuR p88 = Ferrari Sport- und Rennwagen Prototypen / Antoine Prunet / 3-87943-930-3 / german = SuR
    TF p110,111 = Ferrari Legende Traum-Ferrari für Sport und Reise / Antoine Prunet / 3-87943-771-8 / german = TF
    SN40 p31 = Ferrari On The Road / Stanley Nowak / Rob de la Rive Box / Julian McNamara / 1-85443-105-6 / english = SN40
    FSN = Ferrari Story No. 25 Motori In Linea / Stamperia Artistica Nazionale / Corso Siracusa 37 10136 Torino / english|italian = FSn (Note lower case was used for last letter, though)
    FAlb1 p19 = Ferrari Album 1 / Jonathan Thompson / 0-940014-01-7 / english = Falb1

Note also on http://www.barchetta.cc/english/All.Ferraris/Detail/0456AM.375MM.htm along with "verde" pics there is 1 listing for '91:
    C67 p8

C67 = ?

5. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Cavallino 67?

6. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Here is a photo of the interior.

7. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    #7 Boudewijn, Aug 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  8. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Same car I believe. Taken in June '04

9. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Let me clarify something, I have since come across photos of the car's interior and have no longer have any question regarding the color (that initial post was 2 years ago, after all).

Wax, it's just the quality of the photo that is causing you to see green. I know when and where those photos were taken and the car was the same color then as now.

So, my original four questions remain unanswered:

1. What is really known about the car's history, post-Rossellini and pre-Golomb?

2. Exactly when and from whom did Golomb acquire the car?

3. How many times, when, and by whom has Golomb had the car restored?

4. At what point was the car first painted its current color? (I know it was originally blue and, yes, I have photos of it in its original color but, when did it become "Grigio Ingrid?")

10. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Wayne,

3. The picture was taken at Motion Products. Don't know the extent of the work that was being done in early June.

11. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Thanks, Erik. I have similar photos. No cosmetic restoration, only mechanical from what I understand.

12. MJarrettR

MJarrettR Formula 3

Apr 14, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Full Name:
    Jarrett Rothmeier
    Hi Wayne,

Here is some info that I have on the period of 0456AM's history that you are interested in.

54/july/17 - entered "P F" plant
    54/oct/17 - Paris Show car
    54/dec/27 - Roberto Rossellini, Italy for $6,000 (Ingrid Bergman never took delivery)
    57/apr/15 - John Treadwell, Rome, Italy
    57/june - John Koontz, San Francisco, CA
    .. - Ron Hill, Denver, CO
    60 - Harry Woodnorth, Chicago, IL
    61 - Doris Schleicher, Oak Park, IL
    68-78 - sat in Hal Ulrich's shop in Evanston, IL. awaiting restoration
    78 - Wayne Golomb, Springfield IL

I believe that when Mr. Golomb got the car it had not been restored at all up to that point, however, you would need to check with Mr. Golomb on that point. I'm not sure who he had do the full restoration after he bought it, but Wayne Obry's Motion Products has been doing all the work on the car recently. Hope that helps

-Jarrett

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Is it just me, or does anyone else see hints of inspiration for the 612 Scag here, especially in the nose and side coves? Wadda you think?

Sorry to move topic off track.

14. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris

i was thinking the exact same thing. But wasn't the scag meant to look like a newer version of this car?

15. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    You've got it right.
    Now wasn't it restored in 1984 or 1987?

Golomb...
    Isn't his last name written like this: Golombe?

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    #16 F1racer, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  17. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    like i said, this car was the inspiration for the scag

18. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Indeed.
    Do you think the 612 would look good with the side fender vents like on the 375 MM?

19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I have seen photos of the car where it looks pretty much silver, and photos where it looks kind of a gold/silver "champagne" color. I assume it is just the light in the photo..

20. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

Youre prob right Chris, just that I had never read this.

21. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    i'll try to find the article. Thats why all the spy shots called the car "Ingrid"

Not sure, if they were smaller, maybe

22. SefacHotRodder

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
  23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Not built specifically for Rossellini and most likely never used by Ingrid Bergman.

24. Old Guy

Old Guy Formula Junior
    Honorary

Dec 1, 2003
    No longer here
    The new (Summer 2004) issue of "Rosso Ferrari", in an article about Scaglietti, on page 25 states in a photo caption of 0456 that "The classic Rossellini 375 MM (above) was the inspiration for the new Ferrari 612."

25. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    When you look at them side by side, you really can see the similarity in the lines, particularly in the long bonnet, headlight curves, and side scoops. Appropriate, too, that they should use grigio ingrid as one of the colors with which they first presented the model.