WARNING: Those w LHD Ferrari and who insure W Liverpool Victoria please read | FerrariChat

WARNING: Those w LHD Ferrari and who insure W Liverpool Victoria please read

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CharlieUK, Aug 6, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    This is very important:

I have been getting insurance quotes over the past couple of days for an LHD 355. When I got to Liverpool Victoria (who as we know are very competitive in this area), they said they would not provide me with cover as it is an LHD! I asked the lady I was speaking with to check with her supervisor if this is definitely true, and I added that others I know (ie some fellow Fchatters) who have LHD's are currently insured with LV. She said that anyone who is will have invalid insurance, so won't pay out if there is a claim, and possibly may be illegal.

Now to help all of us out, if there is anyone who has an LHD Ferrari and is insured with LV, perhaps they can check for themselves and then if all's good can let me have their contact name for a quote?

Do LV have double standards?

Do feel free to PM me if you wish.

2. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  3. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Has anyone got some contact details for AON and/or Chubb insurance i.e. website addresses or phone numbers?

4. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
  5. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Ta very much

6. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    I have insurance with LV and at the time of quoting I asked them if LHD was a problem or issue. I was told categorically that this was not a problem.....

7. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Could you tell us if your car is LHD and what model , pls? Might help Charlie....

8. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Guy"s don"t want to teach you how to suck eggs but surely checking your cert.of motor insurance should clear this up as it should say LHD on it,and if so then LV have accepted the risk and if not then there is obviously a problem.
    Dave Mc

9. coolblue

coolblue Karting

May 6, 2004
    TonyH, mine is a LHD 355 Berlinetta (1995).

10. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Charlie - I've PM'd you.

F355 GTB LHD insured with LV - double checked that LHD was OK - no problem.

Rick

11. kenyon

kenyon F1 Rookie

Oct 7, 2002
    East Yorkshire
    Full Name:
    Justin Kenyon
    My 348 spider hand drive. Doubled checked and the car is insured...

12. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    I just got mine insured at LV (355 GTS LHD)

She checked with the supervisor if LHD was an issue and there's no problem with it.

Saved myself £600 as well

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Thanks m8.

14. Garyh

Garyh Karting

Jan 10, 2004
    a few points to remember :

most direct insurers (eg L&V) have call recording so as long as you state the car is LHD on the phone or on the forms if an online quote insurers cannot later refuse a claim.

most direct insurers use a call centre where the staff are basically following a script so unusual questions might illicit an uninformed response!

criteria can change so if they accept LHD now if they had a bad claims experience they might stop taking them.

always double check by using a good broker as a barometer eg Aon as at least the staff are generally better informed and will give you something to compare with.

15. Dem

Dem Formula 3

Mar 21, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Dem
    For what it's worth, I'm insured with Footman James on a LHD F355 Spider. The certificate does not state LHD and also mentions that proof of a Thatcham CAT1 alarm is necessary. I triple checked by telephone that it being a LHD was OK and that the standard fit Ferrari alarm was OK (even though there is no way for me to obtain a certificate for it). In both cases, I was told everything was acceptable.

However, for peace of mind (if it means anything legally), I made an addendum to my proposal form before signing and returning it, stating the car was LHD and that I could not prove T1 approval for the alarm.

Guess I'll see how effective that is when I have to claim........!!! ;-)

16. burriana

burriana Formula 3

Jul 8, 2004
    North Yorkshire UK
    Full Name:
    AL
    LHD was not a problem when I asked L&V for a quote... if you take your excess from 400 to 500 though it saves you 100 pounds! Well, did on mine anyway :D

17. hedge

hedge Formula 3

Jun 11, 2003
    England
    Full Name:
    Marc
    I was originally told that this was a problem, then when it came to renewal time and following conversations on this board, I called LV again. Have double and triple checked, and asked them to make a note on my file that it is a LHD European car (1988 328 GTS), which they have done and stated not a problem. They do not detail whether it is left or right sided on the certificate.

Worth volunteering for the extra excess - saved me reasonable premium. Also ask about guaranteed no claims which is better than protected (up to 2 claims) which they will quote as standard.

18. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Good news all round. Went back to LV today. Quote of £699, with only £250 xs. Thanks everyone, with your support it gave me leverage to get them to provide cover for me too. Oh the power of chatrooms!

19. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Nice deal - well done.

Rick

20. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
    Excellent - I think I'll get in touch with them after the F-Chat trip to Switzerland in 2 weeks timel! MARK

21. GrahamS

GrahamS F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 29, 2004
    24 hours from Tulsa
    Full Name:
    Grandmaster G
    Have you bought the car of your dreams yet?

22. CharlieUK

CharlieUK Karting

Jun 30, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    Graham, I am nearly there. Vendor proving very elusive in coming back to me! So will post again soon with outcome. Otherwise anyone else wishing to sell their 355 Spider 1998-1999 - do let me know. Cheers.

23. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    355 Spider
    1995. LHD, 31,000 Km. Fly yellow, black hide, electric hood and seats. Air bag and high level brake light. Immobiliser. Just had cambelt service 6/5/04. Stunning car and in superb condition. £43,995. Tel Jon on 07831 830270. (7/2004)

355 Spider
    1998, 18000 miles, Giallo yellow/black, FFSH, Ferrari power 1 warranty, TrakBak. £58,995. Contact Kevin 07860 710617 or email [email protected]. (6/2004)

24. Aber

Aber Rookie

Jul 18, 2004
    Hull
    Full Name:
    Jaime Kedgley
    I think this has probably been covered by now, but I'm also with LV and no problems with a LHD 348TS, although again it is not stated on certificate.

Excess is £500 premium is £415. Hope this helps and it actually went down last year!! I didn't realise they seem from this thread to do a lot of F-cars, originally insured with them because I wanted two cars on one policy to save me an extortionate premium on my everday Gti when I transfered all my NC to the 348.

Have never had any problems and seem fine to deal with.

25. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Guys

I called L & V today for cover on a LHD 328 that I may be buying.. They quoted me £350 with unlimited milage and a host of other benefits... This was £100 cheaper than an agreed value quote that I had. They said that if any thing happened that they would payout the current market value.. any thoughts? also they were unable to cover me for bring bringing the car back from germany on german plates, nor would they accept the chassis number!

Rod