Warning - 308 radiator - ebay | FerrariChat

Warning - 308 radiator - ebay

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by samtheclip, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    FYI - I purchased an alum. "drop in replacement" off of ebay 2 months ago. I finally received it Friday. First, I don't know how you sell and item you don't even have yet. It was supposed to be a drop in replacement. When I received it there where NO holes for installation. It does not come with the 2 required drain plugs. The A/C hose connect will not work unless modified. The unit was 1" shorter than stock and did not seat properly. I had to cut both seats to make the drain plug fit and the supply line. This unit is a nice quality unit but, not a drop in replacement. I paid $650 for this unit with the assumption that drop in meant drop in replacement. For all the machining I had to have done I could have done it a lot cheaper modify another radiator. Just thought I would share this with you.

2. bill308

bill308 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 13, 2001
    Windsor, CT
    Full Name:
    Bill Sebestyen
  3. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    Exactly. I guess he is selling more.

4. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    I've seen this item on E-bay several times before, and often had my doubts about it, simply because, IMO, it doesn't look anything like a 308 rad.

5. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Sam, Not being an Ebayer myself, but my dauhter is, I would try to send it back. If that isn't possible PLEASE send in a negative feedback on this seller.

6. Jammin'

Jammin' Rookie

Jun 27, 2004
    DC Burb
    Full Name:
    Robert Patch
    The same seller had replacement shocks and springs for sale for 308's. I emailed him to ask him who the shock manufacturer was and what the spring rates were. He essentially told me that it was a secret and why would he give out that valuable information for free. I emailed someone else who had bought the same shocks and springs from him. He said that they took a long time to get and he had not installed them on his car yet.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Definitely give him some negative feedback! :(

8. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    It sounds to me like the timeline goes like this:

1) "seller" puts item up for bid on E-bay
    2) "buyer" wins auction
    3) "seller" places order with actual manufacturer
    4) "seller" has item "drop shipped" to "buyer"

"seller" has no inventory, sets minimum bid above his cost and then just places order with a "ship to" the buyer's address. Typically the way a "manufacturer's representative" business is operated in the real (as opposed to E-bay) business world.

BTW, I have found that most of the new tools with multiple listings and/or quantities that you see on E-bay are sold this way. Anyone with a computer and a kitchen table can get in on the business. There are many importers that bring in container loads of cheap tools (and other merchandise) and then ship items to lists of auction "winners" as supplied by E-bay "sellers". Can you say "Power Seller"?

I "won" a tool set for front suspension work on E-bay for a little over $60. The "seller" was in Seattle, the tool set was shipped from Los Angeles. Before bidding I did a Google search and found the EXACT same set at about 10 different E-bay sellers with minimum bids from $60 to $110 and also at many tool or automotive parts company's on-line web sites from $90 to $135. All were identical except for the "stick on" brand name label on the plastic case. The "brands" were Astro, Astro Pnuematics, OTC and Harbor Freight amoung others. I also found several importers/distributers that supplied E-bay sellers. As an example, one distributer had a hydraulic press that Harbor Freight was selling for about $110 at the time. If you "ordered" 3 or more, your price was about $45 each.

Caveat Emptor

9. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    I've seen a few things posted by this fellow on Ebay. Also been outbid by him on some items, which he turns around and resells with higher minimums. Came close to bidding on 16" wheels from one of his listings, but the large amount of Neg feedback scared me off.

10. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    We made the mistake of buyinig our first Ferrari from this "JOKER" that he had on EBAY. He conducts biz out of his house in Beverly Hills. He is an attorney. Thank God all EPA and DOT releases were good. I had no idea how complicated and $$$$$$$$ it can be getting a Euro car greenlighted in California for emissions. WHEN I ASKED HIM, "WILL THIS CAR PASS CALI EMISSIONS?" HIS ANSWER WAS LESS THAN TRUTHFUL. He promised more than he deleivered in our transaction. He claimed that the car had 360hp.
    (IT DID NOT HAVE ANYWHERE NEAR THAT ON THE DYNO) YOU can see his ad in NOV 02 Issue of FORZA. Any more ?'s about this individual, PM me and I will be glad to enlighten you on his character.

I do not recommend doing business with this person.

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    He should be reported to the CA Bar Association.....

12. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    I think it's worthwhile for the sake of simplicity to include the name directly in the thread. I've been outbid by this individual myself a couple of times!

User ID Effective Date End Date

excelsiorz Jul-29-03 Present

user564084086457 Jul-28-02 Jul-29-03

**********@yahoo.com Jan-11-01 Jul-28-02

13. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Exactly! An attorney can be disbarred for reason of moral turpitude. A conviction of a crime involving moral turpitude, ie. fraud, theft, buglary, etc. involves moral turpitude. This guy is rolling the dice on his professional future.

14. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Thanks to all who relate their buying experiences on e-bay. It seams that there is a lot of crap there for sale. I have not purchased anything there yet and will be very hesitant to do so.

15. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Doug,
    Don't let this discourage you...there are some great deals on Ebay, but like any marketplace, one must be an educated buyer, and exercise "due diligence" in having all the information at hand....

Dave

16. TURBOQV

TURBOQV Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2003
    NV and Utah
    Very true. I got educated the hard way. I did not buy the aforementioned car sight unseen, but made the mistake of trusting this individual. It worked out in the long run as I became educated real fast to Ferrari "grey market" ownership.

I do not want to see other FERRARICHATTERS get burned by trusting this individual as his propensity for prevarication is rather LARGE!

Happy Motoring.

17. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    Has anyone purchased the aluminum radiator from FChat sponsor NICKS FORZA? How is Nick's radiator different from the ebay unit, if at all?

18. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Nick seems a pretty "straight up guy", so I am sure you could just email or call him directly and he would give you the low down on the differences, if any.

19. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    From what this guy (Tristam) told me he supplies Nick's Forza with his. Now, I am do not know if this is actually true but, it is what he told me. If it is watch out. I highly suggest recorring your original. Just my $.02

-Sam

20. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Interesting, a guy that bought some of the wheels this guy sells went to resell a set at a huge loss. excelsiorz did a buy-it-now (for a really good price!), well now they're re-listed. Seems he didn't close the deal and (so I hear) is apparently telling the guy he can't sell those wheels, only excelsiorz can! Sounds like this guy's a real piece of ____ (fill in the blank, kinda like Madlibs. Suggestions are WORK or CRAP or JUNK or...).

21. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    IMHO you are much better off having your OEM radiator rebuilt rather than replacing it. The OEM one works just fine and that way you keep your car stock for concours and/or resale . I had the radiator of my BB512i rebuilt with a heavy duty core for only $350.00 and it now cools better than ever plus it still looks stock.

22. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I'm the seller of the aluminum radiators for Ferrari and I've just learned of this thread: A thread begun by a person who purchased the radiator from me. For background information, after selling the radiator, I heard nothing from the buyer: No complaint that the radiator didn't fit, that it was missing components, nothing. Only later did I receive an email stating that the Buyer had made alterations to the radiator and that he wanted financial compensation. Now, anyone that buys anything knows that if you have a problem with it you contact the seller and seek either a return, exchange or other accomodation. You don't alter the product and then demand money back, which is exactly what this Buyer did. Had he contacted me with a problem, any problem, I would have resolved the issue. Maybe he received the wrong radiator? Maybe his model varied from the standard model? (Ferrari was known to vary components even in the same year of a particualr model's production) Maybe we had a design issue that needed addressing? HOWEVER, I'll never know because the Buyer took it on himself NOT to contact me until AFTER he'd "modified" the radiator and then only to demand money back. Now, THANKS TO THIS BUYER, I WILL NOT SELL THE RADIATORS TO ANYONE UNLESS THEY EITHER SEND IN THEIR OLD RADIATOR AND WE CONFIRM ITS AN EXACT REPLICATION OR THEY SEND IN DIAGRAMS/PHOTOS OF THEIR OLD RADIATOR WITH MEASUREMENTS. This is really too bad because these radiators are spectacular performing and looking. My 308 runs cool in 110 degree temps in the valley (California) and this same radiator has been installed in what the Ferrarichat crowd has labeled the "358": My 355 powered 308. So, there are no better radiators available for your Ferrari. Your old radiators weigh nearly 30 pounds and are not terribly efficient. These radiators weigh about 12 pounds and are dramatically more efficient (which allows your car to run cooler and results in much less use of your cooling fans).
    However, selling these radiators are not worth the hassle that this one Buyer has caused. If this Buyer had purchased the radiator from Sears or Pep Boys and then proceeded to "MODIFY IT" and then come back to Sears or Pep Boys asking for money back, do you think Sears or Pep Boys would give him money back? Of course not! They'd tell the Buyer he should have brought back the radiator. Yet, this Buyer took this course of action with me and now he complains.

23. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Let's set the record straight here: TurboQV did not buy this car from EBAY nor did he buy it sight unseen. Rather, he saw the car in FORZA and drove from his home to nearby Beverly Hills and saw the car in person, heard it run, went for a drive, then bought the car. This was not some Ebay, "sight unseen" purchase. TurboQV then had the car modified by a well-known Ferrari shop. After this, he proceeded to blow up the motor and sue the Ferrari shop. Now he's bad mouthing me? Claiming he bought the car sight unseen from Ebay. That's a load of crap. Seems to me the Ferrari chat line is a potential rumour mill of the worst kind! If someone wants the truth and to cut through the bull, my number is 310-277-4529. Its that simple.

24. ExcelsiorZ

ExcelsiorZ Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 7, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    I note a Ferrari chat member indicates you are better having your OEM radiator re-cored, particularly for Concours purposes.

First, if the old heavy radiators are so good, why is it that every Ferrari made for the last decade has featured an aluminum radiator.

Second, regarding Ferrari value and concours. We need a reality check. Certain modifications, which better the car without truly altering the car, are not frowned upon. True, if you had one of the 54 SWB california spiders or a 250 GTO I would suggest NOT using an aluminum radiator and preserving the OEM details to the last.

However, and here's the reality check, there have been 15,000 308/328s manufactured. While these are arguably the most beautiful cars in the world, they will NEVER be million dollar collectibles. If they'd only built say 100 examples it would be a different story. Even the mighty 288GTO, with only 270 odd examples produced, is just a little more than the cost of a 360 spider. Perhaps a better comparison is the XKE Series I roadster. They made far fewer of them than 308/328 and they had a much higher attrition rate (rust, neglect, etc). Yet drivers can be had for $30k. Even fully restored cars are traded at $60-70k (after $100k restorations!). This E-type is one of the most beautiful cars ever made but its numbers mean it will never be a million dollar car, at least in our lifetimes. How about the 246 Dino, a truly gorgeous car with chrome bumpers and gorgeous lines. Compared to 308/328, they only made about 1200 246 GTS Dinos. Yet Dinos are only $65k (avg). With 15,000 308/328s, do you really think concours events are the primarly focus or is performance and reliablity a greater concern?

Any Ferrari where the production run exceeds a thousand is unlikely to reach that "preserve at any cost" status. The market bears this out.

25. samtheclip

samtheclip Karting

May 30, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Full Name:
    Sam Pasceri
    OK, to set the record straight I never demanded anything. I have all of my emails send and received and would send them to anyone who wants them. Heck I would post them here but, I am not about to take up space for this crap. To make a long story short, I did not contact him until after the install. I had a shop install it. I dropped off the car and they did what they had to, to make it work. I never demanded anything. I did ask if he planned on any compensation for all the sh*t I had to go through. Including the 7 week delay on shipping. I now know he builds to order. That was never stated in his auction. I lost 2 months of driving time because of this joker. I just sent out a simple warning to others. I knew it would cost me postive feedback on ebay but, I did this to save others the aggravation that I had to go through. He seems very defensive, don't you think? Hmmm?

Bastard!