Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $ | FerrariChat

Why Ferraris are worth a lot more than just $

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RAYMAN, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    So I'm giving my buddy and his wife hot laps in the 348, red lining at each gear change, and wishing they'd shut up talking so they could appreciate the full F car experience. After I get out, the adrenaline is still rushing and I'm still wirey from the experience. I'm quickly ushered into his new BMW 3?? series, I didn't give as rats ass what it was. He says, "now drive this". As soon as I sat down I almost fell asleep, he's telling me it's got 325HP Blah Blah Blah. All I know is everything went silent and numb, yea the thing had a punch to it and could probably run down my 348, but I couldn't wait to get out of it. ZERO thrill, the only sensation of speed was to look at the spedo. If this is the future of "performance cars"..... and I know that it is, I'm going to start coveting the F car experience even more. Refinment SUCKS!

2. Jimmy540i

Jimmy540i Formula 3
    BANNED

Jan 11, 2004
    Los Angeles / NYC
    Full Name:
    www.Jimmy540i.com

Ditto, he probably has a E46 M3 which could easily take on a 348 at 1/4 mile or top speed...

But I would rather be driving the 348.

3. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Your right. I own a 355 and an M3 and the 355 is the far superior riving experiennce. The M3 will run dead even with my 355 in a staight line and that's about it. The 355 has alot higher cornering speed and is more nuetral. The M3 is a great car, especially when compared to everything else in it's class, but the Ferrari's are just soo sweet. The evoke the senses like no other car. Try driving a 996 TT if you really wanna fall asleep. The M3 is a hoot compared to that. The Gallardo is also boring compared to my 355spyder.

4. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Boring
    Motor
    Works

5. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    I have both

Yes, the BMW will not give you as much thrill as you redline from one gear to another. However, it can give you 50k miles in 1 year w/o draining your wallet.

Both are great cars but at the end of the day, just like you, I would much rather drive the Ferrari.

6. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Just tell your buddy driving the Ferrari is liking making love to a beatiful woman.

Driving the BMW is like snuggling up to a blow up doll under your sheets...;)

7. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Very true, and, "if you have to explain it they wouldn't understand."

8. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    your comparing apple and oranges... the m3 is tank that you can drive 200k miles with and it will still be rock solid.. the ferrari.. 348 and 355 are high strung italian exotics.. great fun to drive and unique...but i wouldnt put 30k miles a year on them... the m3 is not boring to drive..it is not a ferrari however..but also it is not supposed to be a ferrari..i will tell you that for my body type , thebmw is much easier to drive, the ergonomics fit me much better than the 348 and 355, which have the pedals at a weird angle and too close for anyone with big feet... drove crazy inthe 355..a stupid design that is improved inthe 355....

9. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    driving a ferrari is like going out with a beautiful high maintenance woman...when thing s are good they are great...but she sometimes can be a real pain and very expensive and not dependable

10. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    M3... *rollseyes* I dont care if it was the BMW M3 "Jesus Christ" edition, it's not anything compared to the Fcar faster quarter mile or not. Your friend seems alittle ignorant IMO if he thinks his vehicle is anything close to comperable, then again I'm not surprised, most M3 owners do strike me as unknowledgable about anything outside of the BMW realm. (no offence to you bimmer owners out there)

11. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    No, of course not. How could we (BMW Owners) possible take offense to that?

12. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Just to put this thread back on track, I wasn't really bashing BMW's as much as I was ALL new performance cars and exotics, that includes Ferrari's, I've heard people say the 360 is boring, and from what I've heard the raging bull is dead in the newer Lambos.

13. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Ray, I'm with you.

I actually sold my E46 M3 September '03. Guess what car I bought to replace it? Yep, you guessed it: my first Ferrari. The cost of my 348 Speciale tb with 9.9K miles on it was actually a little less than the sticker price on my loaded M3, which was the first one available for sale on Long Island back in early '01.

I loved the M3. Who wouldn't? Great car. But Ferrari is in a different league. We're talking a completely different ballgame. Hell, it ain't even the same damn sport.

I'll never go back. I am a forever changed man. Porsche twin turbos, SL55s, BMW Z8s, etc--my Dad has them all. I used to have great admiration for them; now they are just mediocre cars. They're still terrific cars, but they aren't awe-inspiring--only the legend of Ferrari can have such an effect! If I am to piss away all my money on cars, and I will, it will be on a collection of Ferraris. They're all I could ever want/need.

I'll take a '94 512TR for less money than a Porsche twin turbo. And for a commuter car, how about a 456M GT instead of an SL55. And how about a 512bbi and a 328 GTB for kicks? I can go on and on and on...

my 2 cents :)

14. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Right, hoard all the old ones! Pure driving machines.

15. Dr.Bleed

Dr.Bleed Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    Nathan E. K.
    Good, I'm glad you do not take offence to my generalizations. :p

16. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I pretty much had my choice between a new BMW 325/330 coupe or a "preowned" Ferrari. Look at my profile...

17. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Ever driven an M3 CSL? Didn't think so...

18. KMS

KMS Formula Junior
    BANNED

Dec 22, 2003
    I agree with Dave and Ray.

19. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I hope that for your friend's sake that you at least feigned interest, even if you didn't enjoy it... sounds like he was proud of his BMW.

20. billyM3

billyM3 Rookie

May 31, 2004
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Chris
    take it easy on us M3 owners!!! :)

yikes, most (i hope) of us know it aint a ferrari!!! that said, the E46 M3 is a sweet car and is far from "boring." its a high reving balanced machine with beautiful looks and a unique exhaust note.

if i could have any car (aside from the M3) then i would take a maranello. however, i can't afford to fork over $250K for a car. so, for the price, you can't beat the E46 M3 imo.

your F-cars are AMAZING but give some credit where credit is due.

M3 = amazing coupe
    maranello = a fine piece of art on wheels that also serves as a car

21. RAYMAN

RAYMAN Formula Junior
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Oklahoma
    Full Name:
    Raymond Santilli
    Had to bite my tongue I'll tell you that!

22. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    LOL. i had to do that a few weeks ago when some young guy was telling me all about his Mustang 5.0... :|

23. robiferretti

robiferretti F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    NYC area
    Full Name:
    rob ferretti
    OK, easy now! the 996 TT is a **** load of fun, to be able to go sideways in first and second gear with an AWD car, and then throw the car through turns. It is a crap load of fun.

24. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    I test drove an '88 (E33?) M3 as a possible replacement for my GTV-6.

What road feel? There was almost zero feedback from the road.

Okay, so maybe that's what some of the target audience wants -- "You VILL go left, you VILL go right -- and no talking back! Schnell!". ;)

But after a decade of Italians, I felt like you'd have to keep the windows down to drive the M3 -- the only way to tell you're approaching the limits of traction is to listen to the tires.

A decade later, I test drove a used '97 M3. The seat was more comfortable. ;)

It didn't have the excess understeer of the '88, but it still couldn't decide between being a sports car or a luxury car -- so it didn't do either exceptionally well.

So I bought a used 328 instead ... and spent less on the Ferrari than they were asking for the M3.

The only problem with the 328 is that it gets surly driven slowly around the neighborhood. Stomp on it, and it comes alive. :D

But if you can't decide between a luxury car and a sports car, the M3 may be just the ticket -- a little of each, without being one or the other.
    Or you could get a new Maserati -- a Ferrari in a plain brown wrapper. ;)

25. TomSilver

TomSilver Karting

Jan 26, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I'm also a Ferrari owner, but I can't say from my own experience that a M3 is boring. Look at Nürburgring lap times for the M3 CSL, and try to beat that time with your Ferrari. Nearly impossible, even with a 360 CS.

But then again, a Ferrari is "a scaled down version of - god" (*) and a BMW is just a BMW ;)

(*) Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear