Driving Ferrari at night. | FerrariChat

Driving Ferrari at night.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chiaroman, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chiaroman

Chiaroman Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 21, 2004
    New Jersey
    Hello Ferrarista,

Is it only me (probably) or does anyone else out there feel less comfortable driving their F-car at night?

It is often hard enough to be visable (being so low) during the day and the possibility of hitting a deer or another obstacle in the road that you simply can't see because of the darkness...like a killer pothole!!

Thanx.

2. JSinNOLA

JSinNOLA F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Uh, someone turn on the lights!

3. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    You see... For him...

The lights are on, but no one is home.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    It's only you.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Only you. I drive my 328 more late at night then during the day. I like 2-3am...no traffic, no gawkers, just you and the road.

That said, welcome to the site, please take your time to fill out your profile so we can get to know you.

6. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    You guys are bad !! Leave him alone......night time is difficult to drive. I personally prefer the 5/6am blast of the open road on a Sunday morning.

BTW: If your have trouble driving in the dark, maybe a good idea to stop.
    NO?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Well he has not filled out his profile, so we do not know which fcar he is talking about. Chances are there is something we can do to help him...perhaps new brighter fog and headlights?

8. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    No he's right to exercise caution...Vincent355 mentioned it in his journey.. a neighbor's brother once hit a cow in a 240Z..

They found the cow the next day, in the road....

They found him three days later, upside down over a levee, hood crushed down on the carbs and throttle...wide open...

He was killed instantly as it hit the windshield....hopefully.

9. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Depends where and how late at night/early morning.
    In big cities,late evening could be a little annoying in any Exotic, because of all the wackos ,high on booze or something else,trying to race or just giving you a hard time.

10. Kleos1

Kleos1 Karting

Feb 1, 2004
    Urbandale Iowa
    Full Name:
    Garry Haas
    What would be a good, brighter headlight be for a 308?

We have a lot of deer to dodge here in Iowa. I've already had picked off two on the freeway with my truck.

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Try a search .....theres some good info here on both halogen (easy) and HID (more involved) upgrades for the 3x8s....

Anyone link a thread on that?????

12. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Old Archives SEARCH

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/217706.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/3976.html

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/98730.html

FYI: The lights on the 308 here have the uogrades and yes, VERY nice at night :)

ALSO, upgrade the instrument panel bulbs and hotwire the dash dimmer to remove it from the system. Makes a HUGE difference as well.

13. venusone

venusone F1 Rookie

Mar 20, 2004
    I understand completely the fear of hitting a deer while driving on/off Skidaway Island at dusk. I always went 10 under. One guy I worked w/ at UGA hit 2 in one year. Sometimes they just run into the side of your car. Worse yet, once I slammed on brakes & barely stopped in time to avoid hitting a BOAR broadside. He didn’t budge - just stood in the middle of the lane while I drove around. ½ ton of boar, back taller than my hood, would have easily totaled my RX7.

14. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Although I drive my 355 at night time, too, lighter traffic in day time is much preferred. Visibility is always better during day time for any cars.

I drive SUV as a daily, so the driver's view is quite different, and I understand Chiaroman's concern. Fortunately, 355's headlamp is comfortable enough for night time driving.

It's not a problem, but my 328's dash instruments were pretty dark during the night. I like bright instruments better, so felt uncomfortable.

15. HUTCH91TR

HUTCH91TR F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Hutch
    My recent personal experience of hitting a raccoon at 11:45 at night while doing 90+ on the Merritt Parkway here in Connecticut, has caused me to be more conservative. Now I stick to around 75-80...

16. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I live in the Bay Area and on I280 dear are not uncommon. I hit one coming back from a poker game three years ago. I was lucky I could brake, and steer away and only hit his hip. The deer just walked away and I while in a state of shick and getting all kinds of failure messages on my dash limped to a nearby park and ride to assess the damage... put a good bit of damage on my BMW (bumper, hood, grill, headlamp, both fog lamps and the fender. It also cracked the windshield. There was blood every where on the side of the car.

If I am driving my wife around to a dinner party there is no problem driving the 360 at night but if I am driving like I do during the day forget it. You cannot see far enough even with the 360's bright lamps. That's when you have to ask yourself why I am doing this at night?

17. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Its not so bad with a late-model Ferrari. The older ones dont have the Xenon, makes it harder to see. i understand, just upgrade to a 360!

-Doug

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    What the crap? Night, rain, snow, hail, road salt, mud, deer, cops, rush hour... when the heck CAN you actually drive a Ferrari?!

Forget caution! I'm going to christen my car, "WNTRBTR."

19. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    The evenings is when I go for a drive. At dusk, there are a few factors that all come into play:

1) 308 headlights suck (I need to upgrade).
    2) If you are getting older, your vision is not what it use to be at 20
    3) Deer are out in full force
    4) If betwwen 6:00PM and 8:00PM, many of the drunks are on the road
    after a few hours of drinking beer with their construction buddies.
    Those old ford F150's with the gun racks can bend a lot of Ferrari
    metal.
    5) When it's dark out and you drive fast, that's a bad combo. Things
    sneak up on you faster!
    6) You have to concentrate more and have less time to come up with
    goofy FChat thread material.

20. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I will never drive at night. Why you ask? Have you ever seen what a 308 looks like with the headlights on?

21. jungathart

jungathart Guest

Jun 11, 2004
    NoVA, AmeriKa
    Full Name:
    Komrade Jung
    1.Night vision goggles, 4th generation.
    2.Make sure you have a current deer tag.
    'Nuff said

22. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I prefer driving at night. That way I don't have to think about the fact the 328 air-conditioning sucks!

23. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Nighttime on the superslab isn't too bad -- lots of lighting already there.

But those twisty back roads through the woods -- oh, brother. I miss my rally lights. ;)

24. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I just bought an '04 4Runner. The low beams are great, but the high beams will fry a moquito at about 75 feet!

25. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    I feel much safer at nite in my 308 with the lights on, that way, other drivers can see me way better than in the daytime with no lights on. ferraris are so low, many folks dont see me comming in the daylight.
    john