Latest Button news | FerrariChat

Latest Button news

Discussion in 'F1' started by tfazio, Aug 9, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  2. davel

davel Guest

Truly the silly season. Id love to see him lose his license after stating he was committed to the team just after the German Grand Prix. Then he pulls this stunt. I wonder if his engine will start blowing now????????

3. bigndude

bigndude Karting

Mar 16, 2004
  4. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    Would not mind seeing him loose his license and not beibg able to race for the rest of the season, for any team.

5. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

If Button loses his license can he even test? Being out of a car for the next six months could be rough.

If he is not driving for BAR next year, I hope Hakkinen drives for them. I never really rooted for MH until he won his second championship, he definitely deserved the title in 1999. It would be nice to see the driver that actually beat MS on a regular basis back in a competitve car.

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
  7. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    You only need a super license to participate in a GP, but not for testing.

I find it utterly amusing to hear Ecclestone talk about morals and that contracts have to be honored. Wasn't he part of that famous night when the sharks of F1 politely, but clearly explained to Eddie Jordan that his contract with the new kid Michael Schumacher is void and he better hands the young racer over to Flavio?

I would hate it to see Jenson without a seat, but I'm sure that won't happen. The good news about all of this is, that we might get to see Davidson under race conditions in less than a week, hurray!

8. GoFerrari28

GoFerrari28 Formula 3

Jun 16, 2004
    Ridgemont, CA
    Full Name:
    Jeff Spicoli
    After the way Dave Richards dismissed Jacques last year, I think he got what he deserves. He is the one who has acted pretty ruthlessly in the past, so live by the sword..........

9. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    If Button gets what he wants (a Williams seat for new next year), I would sure like to see BAR ban him for the rest of the season. But it won't happen...
    First ...BAR are still in the hunt for 2nd place in the constructors. And there's McLaren and Williams not too far away.
    Second..JB fans will try to shoot Dave Richards.

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I am happy, seems like all this mess will likely cause the BAR team to buckle under pressure and Rubens can keep his number 2 in the championship. Rubens deserves it for his consistency this year.

This is the difference between team work like in Scuderia Ferrari and other teams that act like disfunctional families!!! Then they complain the Ferrari have team orders. There is a right way to do things and there is a wrong way.

David Richards, Jenson Button, Sir Frank Williams and BMW Williams have failed miserably!!!

11. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    I agree on what you said.

12. axemansean

axemansean Formula Junior

Jul 11, 2004
    Any word on the David Richards and Jenson Button press conference that was supposed to be held today?

13. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Bernie has got involved because Button leaving BAR is a disaster for F1.

As I have said before we need MORE competitive teams not less and Button leaving BAR at this time would just about financially destroy BAR. Think about sponsors ... how could BAR get any without JB, and their proven form.

Bernie got involved with the MS deal because again F1 needed MS in a REAL car ...

I personally hope that JB looses his super license for 2 years and that is the end of his career. The way he has handled this is worse than anything JV did and JPM has done. He has kicked sand into the face of hundreds, if not thousands, of people that have worked their butt off to get HIM up the front.

Even if he wanted to do this move and had legitimate reasons ... their is a way to handle the situation without fncking the BAR team.

Up yours Button, right up yours.
    Pete

14. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    WHY????

Now where is your Sato? Why will BAR lose all the Sponsors? Your beloved SATO who provides "exciting racing". Why wont the sponsors stick with them now?

Lets go Sato, Lets Go! ;)

BAR are and will always remain a back water piece of crap team. They deserve what they are getting for back stabbing JV and hiring a driver like Sato. Now where is there Sato to help keep the sponors?

Jenson Button was smart to move to Williams. Good luck Jenson! Seems like being smart in F1 is a crime these days. :D

15. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    You're being a bit harsh.

Teams drop drivers mid-season without so much as a kiss on the cheek, and you're hoping Button has his carrer put to an end?

Bernie E getting into the mix is just fodder to make headlines. I don't remember all of them, but there've been some shady contract wiggles in F1 (even in recent histoy), and I've never heard of Bernie E. stepping in between parties in order to "right the wrongs." Concorde agreement anyone? Bueller?

Bernie is milking the situtation: BAR is a prominent British team, headed by a prominent English businessman (Richards), which employ(ed) a prominent English kid to drive its F1 cars - and England, ironically enough, happens to a prominent F1 fan base ; Bernie is just attracting attention to his spectacle.
    If Button gets his license janked, it'll be a posteuring move by Bernie E.

I think you're a little out of line, Pete. Drivers have, and will be, the expendable commodity in racing ; either we die in crashes ,become crippled, or never get the chances we deserved - Button's giving it to the managment this time. No one likes it, because it rattles the power structure.

16. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    If it turns out that Button legally can leave BAR to go to Williams.....I have absolutely no problem with that. As said earlier, contracts are technical, if Honda hadn't signed up by the time the option period has passed Button can legally leave the team. That is, of course, is what actually happened.

17. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Yep because I personally am really pissed at him. I admit I am being selfish but we had the chance of seeing another STRONG team join the top 3 (er, maybe 4 if Renault can pull their finger out of their rear end ;)) and have some more top racing. We need quality racing but we cannot get it with this 'I am a whimp and thus will not pass on the race track' attitude, thus the next best thing is multiple good teams ... and nothing is better to watch than a little team climbing the ladder.

JB moving to Williams destroys all that and to be quite honest I just don't understand the guy. BAR made him into a hero ... Williams didn't. BAR appear to have their act together and were looking like winning races ... Williams, hmmm, historically a good team but they are confused at the moment and have happily dumped JB in the past.

Who do you think was right behind MS going to Ferrari ... Bernie was having multiple orgasims ... nothing much happens in F1 without Bernie's nod ... Concorde agreement or not. Bernie has always put pressure on teams and drivers to do what he wants ...

Yes but Bernie is trying to save F1 ... and BAR will just about fold once their sponsors start running after JB has 100% left. F1 is very boring right now, thus Bernie is worried about his show without one of the current interest points. After all most normal people (Imperial not included) are currently watching F1 to see if JB and the BAR can rattle MS in his Ferrari ... and also can Kimi's McLaren hold together long enough to give MS a hard time also. There is nothing else to watch, nothing!

I agree with that ... but it is the way JB has done it that pisses me ... he deserves a right royal slap in the face. He could have done this completely differently, but instead he kept the team in the dark ... it is like he wants BAR to fold. He could have had open discussions, enabled them to start looking for a replacement ages ago ... what a wanker!

Pete

18. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    What other way could JB have done it?

19. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Simple, discuss it behind closed doors with the team and have BAR make the announcement on why he is going with a spin.

20. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Er, simply gone to Richards and said "Mate, I've had an offer from Williams and I have to tell you that I am seriously considering it'. I want you to know that I will drive the balls off you car for the rest of the season and if you like help you with your driver selection for next year ... you know give my thoughts, etc."

Richards has a mental ...

"Look Richards, I've got to do what I think is right for me and Williams are proven winners and I have always had a contract with them ... If we do this right we can smooth over your sponsors, etc. and make this year finish off great. **** I want it too as well as you do, we both have much at stake"

Instead JB said nothing, nothing at all, lied after the German GP, and has refused (until recently) to talk to his team.

There is always an honorable way of doing things ... which you should atleast try first!

Pete

21. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    Pete: I understand, but Button had a contractual agreememnt with BAR that would renew their option with him IF : BAR was in at least 5th place in the constructor's championship and had an OFFICIAL contract with Honda in place by the GP of France, and in actuality they only had Honda's verbal commitment at that time. The formal commitment didn't come until the the GP of Germany. Button's mgmnt saw this opening, called Williams and Williams made the offer to Button - which he opted to take. You & I both know, the merits of a contract are married to its technicalities; Button's mgmnt saw an opportunity for their driver to take a step up the ladder, and they jumped on it. On paper, Button's move is legal. Moreover, Williams himself apprised Richards of the deal minutes after Richards got a letter of declaration (stating Button's intention to switch teams) from Button's mgmnt - Williams agreed to come to an ammicable solution should Richards find the news suprising , and was willing to keep it b/w the two parties. Richards was not as blindsided about Button's intentions as he's leading on to be. Richards leaked the news for leverage via public opinion.
    Re: BAR made Button a star. Grand prix racing isn't a one man show - you know this. Button's rise through the ranks was lauded by every one as early as 2000 , and his inagural season with Williams - he had 'it' and everyone knew it (even in the developmental Renault wide angle , Button showed pace where other couldn't - he also has outpaced all his team mates). So, let's not go off the deep end with the gratitude - BAR & Button owe each other respective nods of courtesy with regard to on track performance - Button has been an excellent team player.
    Re-itterating my earlier point: everyone's miffed, because a driver is dangling the carrot , and not the other way around . That pisses people off (too much autonomy in the driver ranks, is a slap in the face reality checks in the owner's circle - between you and me, I wish Button would have walked out on Briatore - that's a guy I can't stand!)
    How did Bernie E broker Schumi's move to Ferrari? Moreover, why didn't he suspend Schumi's license after the '94 Jerez incident , if he's such a moralist (what Schumi did there was ruthless and unsporting - yet now Bernie's threatening to revoke Button's license on account of a shrewed business move? Talk about pot & kettle.)
    Again, I too wish it could have happened under 'better' circumstances, but it didn't; no reason to wish ill will or harm unto, what we both know to be, a rising champion.
    Good luck to BAR/Honda & good luck to Button.
    (PS: Button's a good kid - he had his playboy days, nearly lost his drive, but admitted to his lack of focus and got his head back in the game - he's just doing what all of us would have done ; sometimes you've just got to look out for #1.)

22. asianbond

asianbond Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Full Name:
    Chris
    "After a thorough consultation and deliberations we at BAR and JB has decided it is in the best interests of both parties to terminate our relationship after the end of this season"

23. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Agree with all your post and especially the point above.

The only thing that concerns me is the way JB did this appears to have been very, very mean spirited to bring BAR down. From what I have read ...

It appears if they have had a falling out and thus JB is doing his best to be nasty about it. IMO if you are that worried about performance bonus's you do not have what it takes to be a F1 driver.

Pete

24. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    That statement came out about a week after the **** hit the fan ... before then JB refused to even talk to BAR!

Pete

25. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    100% agree. That is how real men do deals.

Pete