Distributor cleaning on Carburated 308 | FerrariChat

Distributor cleaning on Carburated 308

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Barnone 308, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada
    Hi everyone,

I would like to know if anyone can offer some advice or steps in cleaning distributors. I have been noticing my 1-4 slowdown light coming on before starting. It shuts off right after the car is started. Regardless, I was thinking I should clean the distributors on the 1-4 bank, and then again maybe I should clean them both. Question??. Do I have to reset timing after cleaning the distributors. I would think yes, but any advice would be great

Thank You

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I have a few:

Clean one at a time, so that if you forget how it goes back together, there is another one to refer to.

The springs and weights are particularly hard to remember where to go back.

Get a small puller, you may need it for the bearings.

Convert to electronic ignition if possible.

Have fun.

3. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    And oh, by the way, the distributor won't have anything to do with the Slow Down 1-4 light being on before starting. I'm pretty sure that's what's known as "bulb check". Maybe you should see why the 5-8 isn't lighting up, too.

4. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Good point!!!

The lights for both banks will come on during cranking, then turn off on shut down. They come on during running when the cats overheat. That's all.

Nothing wrong with servicing the distributors...on most of the carb cars they are stuck and not advancing anyways... :)

Dave

5. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    I just took both my distributors off and checked them, for the trip to monterey,
    call me when i get back if you need any help.

Rob
    805-643-6003

6. Barnone 308

Barnone 308 Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2004
    canada

Rob, thanks for the help,, I will give you a call in a couple of weeks. Have a great trip..

Thanks