355 ABS light on. | FerrariChat

355 ABS light on.

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by chaa, Apr 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Hi, after i changed my battery to Red top optima,i turned the engine on the next morning and let the engine run for 15 mins to let ECU settle, but since then my ABS light comes on, it flashes first then stays on. Any ideas please its a 95 madel.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    While driving down the road it should flash back to 'off' for 0.5 seconds every 5 minutes of so then continue to be illuminated.

I don't know the cause, but what it is saying is that the computer will not ABS the front brakes but will ABS the rear brakes.

When the light goes on permanently, the computer will not ABS either end.

Mine has this problem, and my mechanic has looked into it several times even with SD-II and the braking computer has no stored codes. I have noticed that after starting the car, If I push really hard on the brake pedal (while stopped) several times (like 5) the brake light on the lfet side will illuminate and the abs light on the lower right will go off for several seconds. I think, this indicates that something is amiss with the brake accumulator.

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Sorted it, after takeing it back to dealer that fitted the new Suspension activator, they discoverd that they had left a fuse in that is used to transmit "codes" or somthing, any ways its located in the front boot where the fuse box is, aparently no fuse should be fitted in the empty slot...........Does this make sense?

4. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Makes sense, just had the same problem ...

5. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Could you tell me where this fuse is? I might have the same problem.

A pict would be great.

6. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    That fuse should only be in when the OBD reader is hooked up

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Hey guys don't leave me hanging.

I'd love to solve this one easy. When I got it back from the dealer the light stayed on. I was so pissed I took the car anyway, as it was perfect before going in.

8. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Plz look into my thread concerning my ABS problems, I posted a pic there. It´s the fuse to the left. The position is also indicated in my WSM.

9. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    AR, Thanks for the reply but your pict is of a Mondial? It doesn't appear to be the same as the 355? I don't have a WSM....... I have the owner's manual that doesn't show this. I looked where the two fuse areas are listed in the owners manual (rt. side bonnet & passenger side foot well) and I don't see this area. Also, your picture shows the A/C glass bubble line. That is located in the battery cut-off compartment on the 355. The four relay bank is not there.

10. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    The fuse is located under the passaenger side of the trunk. You have to remove the entire trunk carpet, around 9 phillips screws, than remove the 4 screws around the fresh air intake for the climate control, and 2 screws under each side of the quick release covers. You will see a set of 4 relays and a number of fuses (one of them SHOULD be empty) thier not listed in the manual, right next to that is the OBD connection.

11. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Thanks Michael,

I removed the carpet in the bonnet. I have looked on the passenger and the driver side of the recirc module and I dont see it. I have two picts below. One is the passenger side and the other is a closeup of an ecu on the passenger side.

..........help

12. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    Can you tell what kind of ABS you have ?
    The four relays or on cars with Teves Mark 2 System.
    If you have a Bosch system the relays are in the mainhydraulikunit under the blackcap,but there are no fuses.

13. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    How can I tell? I have a 12/98 build date Euro. If it doesn't have the fuses, Is there another place to look for this fuse that would cause the abs light to stay on if the dealer left it in?

I went down to the car.... off the master cyl. there are metal brake lines going to a main device near the driver side fuses in the bonnet. It says Bosch...

14. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    Can you send a photo please,the breaklines going in or out the unit showing me what kind of model it is and i can tell you what kind of selftest you can do or not.I think best is go back to the shop and tell your problem, i´m not shure but you can only test it with a tester.
    Most Problems occur from wheelspeedsensor. Sometimes it is the negative ground of the pumpmotor.

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Here is a pict...........

There is a 15 amp fuse off the side of the main fuse block. You can see it in the picture. I'm not trying to fix an ABS problem. I will take it back to the dealer if there is something wrong with it.

If it is just a fuse or plug they connected / disconnected then I'd like to solve it without taking it back

Thanks for your help

16. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    The fuse is for power not for selftest´, not shure if it belongs to the ABS power.Seems to be a 5.3 or 5.7 Bosch ABS
    There is a 3pin connector that goes in the wiringharnes ,its for diagnosis.
    Let the guys do there job, and this time better ,maybe they must only clear the memory of the ecu.

17. maserati424

maserati424 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Full Name:
    frank gablenz
    Forgot to tell.
    On Opel cars with similar ABS the light is on if your breaklight is not working.
    Pls look if both lights are OK.

18. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    If memory serves me that is NOT the ABS control in that pic, it is the OBD reader connection and that red 10AMP fuse should be removed. It's only put in place when using an OBD reader. IF I remember correcty which fuse it is!
    If you get REALLY jammed I will take about my trunk and check mine, but I showed it to a mechenic at FoLI a few weeks ago when I noticed it, and he gave me the info. Let me know what happens, unless of course your car goes on fire in which case....do I know you? J/K-MICHAEL

19. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

I checked the brake lights .... all 3 are working

Do you know of a fuse on this car that needs to be installed to give fault codes?

20. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.

Thanks,

I removed the fuse........no fire (LOL).....started no problem.......... ABS light still stays on..........

21. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Turn off the battery shut off for about 5 minutes, let the ECU clear, start car let idle for 10 minutes, check light than.

BTW found the picture

22. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ok, I've just talked to the dealer (Ferrari of Wash.) and the Shop Forman told me the fuse wouldn't be the issue. Though, he couldn't remember what this fuse is for. So, the dealer said he would have the car picked up and returned to determine if they left a wire unplugged.

I still think you maybe correct about this fuse though. Anyone have the service manual for a '99 355 spider Bosch ABS and can confirm what this 10amp fuse is for in my first set of picts?

Thanks again

23. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Mike,

You are correct......... that is exactly what my car looks like. Though, what does "A fuse for electrical system" mean? Could it be anymore vauge? I've called around to a couple of dealers and they have told me that the fuse has nothing to do with the ABS.... They said the Big 60 Amp fuse is for the F1 but they can't remember what the 10 Amp is for. Also, they agreed about plugging in a fuse to read codes on a 348 and older 355's ....not a '99 355. I'm still waiting for confirmation before I put this fuse back in and seal everything back up. Where did you get the pict? I used to have all the service books for my Vette.... they were great.

24. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Sorry you never told me what year you had didn't know it was a 99'.

25. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    No need to be sorry. Actually, thanks for trying....I'm still not sure if they are right as no one has told me what it is for.

Where did you get the pict? Does it say somewhere else in the book what this fuse is for?