How to transition from Jack to Jack Stands?????? | FerrariChat

How to transition from Jack to Jack Stands??????

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ILuv4Res, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I am curious.......If I jack up my 348 on the jack points under the car, how do I then put a jack stand there? It seems like the entire underside of the car is an aerodynamic plate(s) with only the front & rear jack points under the car available for such support. If the jack is alreay there, where do you put the jack stands??????

Thanks!

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Can't you put the jack near the jack points, but not on them? The jack points are on the exposed frame, IIRC. On my 550, I can jack near these w/o harming the undertray, then put the jack stands directly under the jack points...or vice versa.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Dave: where are you putting your jack near the jack-points on the 550? I had Fred's problem and removed the under-tray.

--Dan

4. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I haven't looked that closely, but, I think that only the jack points would be sufficient to handle the weight load of lifting the car.

5. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    I just bought a set of jack stands and a hydraulic racing jack for my Ferrari - when I jack up the car with the jack, the whole side of the car lifts, not just the corner I'm jacking up.......both wheels clear the floor, and that ain't good!

A friend with a TR explained that you must use two jacks - jack up both rear or both front corners at the same time, and use wheel chocks to prevent the car from rolling away. Once you achieve the height you want, insert the stands and lower the car onto them. Since I'm not going out and buying another jack, I'll use the factory jack that came with the car.

6. ILuv4Res

ILuv4Res F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 8, 2002
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I understand that you may have to jack up the front or the back on both sides. However, suppose you have two jacks (one on each side) in the back, once it is jacked up, how do you put the jack stands where the jacks are?????

7. M.James

M.James F1 Rookie

Jun 6, 2003
    Worcester, MA
    Full Name:
    Michael.C.James
    My racing jack has a large, rubber-padded disk as its jack lever - I just place it slightly forward in the frame to where the jack point is on the car, and once the car is up, place the jack stand exactly on the jack point next to the lever. This could be important if you don't want to twist the frame too much...