dyno-tunning...is it worth it? | FerrariChat

dyno-tunning...is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by parkerfe, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    An ex-FAF mechanic friend of mine is now working at a high performance dyno tunning shop. He says he can dyno-tune my BB512i in less than two hours at a cost of $150.00 per hour. Does it really make that much difference? Is it worth the almost $300.00 it will end up costing?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Not sure on a FI car, but on my carb 308, I spent $600 for dyno and tech time and recovered about 30hp that was caused by a miss (incorrect plug gap) and lean jetting. Well worth it in my book.

The only way to know if your car is running at optimum is through a dyno test and exhaust analysis....Gary Reed discovered on his BB that one of his distributors was not advancing properly during a dyno test.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    With the multitude of adjustments possible, on a carb version, I would think a dyno could pay off.

The BBi has minimal adjustments, and someone with a CO meter can easily adjust the fuel ratio.

The dyno may show bad advance, but so can a timing light. If the advance is off, the distributor has to be removed and completely dissassembled, just to get to the weights. I just went through with this on my BBi. EACH change in the springs, and/or shims, requires the complete removal, dissassembly, adjustment, re-assembly, and installation.........just to test the change done. I feel this could take many hours to get it right.

In short, I don't think the dyno would offer anything more than tuning the car in the tradition ways.

4. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    Run the dyno for the usual 2-3 times at @$75 and see how the graphs look. All dynos have variables so don't look only at the numbers, unless they are way off. Look at the curves compared to factory and if there is a difference as well as the A/F ratio. If it appears that there are problems, then pay the extra for the time to tune. If not, you are only out the $75 but have some neat graphs and a piece of mind that your car is running well.

5. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The only thing I would add is that the price does vary a bit, it's $125 out this way.

If the car is all stock, then is should be pretty close to right with just a few tweaks required due to age. The dyno real is most helpful when the car has been modified, like a new exhaust or in my case a supercharger and an EFI system. For me the 4 hours I spent on the dyno were pretty helpful because I had to make all new fuel maps and ignition curves.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    What exactly is he going to tune?

If it were a carb car, I'd say yes, it would be worth it.