any problems with the m3 smg transmission? | FerrariChat

any problems with the m3 smg transmission?

Discussion in 'Other German' started by scycle2020, Aug 7, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    my brother is looking at used m3s... he prefers the smg due to heavy traffic driving... is the smg reliable? are people happy with it.. i know with ferraris, the 6speed s have less problems and issues

2. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    So far, so good. I use mine to commute to NYC, heavy, stop and go, bumper to bumper traffic, with occasional opportunities to open up and clear traffic; never use the auto mode, the paddles are easy, and once you adjust the shift parameters, pretty smooth. Long run, have no idea; had mine since March or so, and enjoying every minute.

3. Noelrp

Noelrp Formula Junior

Aug 30, 2001
    SSF
    Full Name:
    Noel
    Same here so far no problems yet and it shifts magnificently as I put more miles to the car. Make sure that all outstanding recall has been performed as there is a recall on SMG cars made before 04/04 to avoid damaging the SMG pump ($5000 item).

It is obvious that the SMG will cost more to maintain because of the additional hydraulics in the system. I would recommend to get a CPO car (warranted up to 100k miles) just to be safe.

Good luck.

4. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    Mine's great. I owned a 6 speed M3 before this one and I prefer the SMG.

5. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Just wondering, if you tap both pedals at the same time, does the car go into neutral like on fcars?

6. alanhenson

alanhenson Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    no, the only way to hit nuetral is to pull the shifter to the left.

7. Mike360

Mike360 F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Mike
    For me the SMG is so good. But i got a software upgrade at the dealership for it which fix's some of the transmissions problems that i was having when i first picked up the car... long change times, stalling etc....
    They said it was a faulty transmission and required an update. Since they fixed it it's been a dream.