Sidekick | FerrariChat

Sidekick

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by gentry, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. gentry

gentry Guest

Does anyone here use a Sidekick or something similar? I am planning on getting a new phone to replace my V600 and I want something with a few more functions than just a phone. The planner/organizer/email/and web functions of the sidekick really intrigue me.

Any other suggestions?

2. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Whatever it is....don't get one wiith a camera in it!

You don't need the negative pub!

DL

PS. See? I can be helpful too! :D

3. gentry

gentry Guest

ok, that was kinda funny.

4. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I have a SE P900

Works great

5. krayzie

krayzie Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Andy
  6. Wolfgang5150

Wolfgang5150 F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    One word - Blackberry.....................

7. samiam

samiam Rookie

Aug 4, 2004
    Baltimore MD
    Full Name:
    Jeremy
    Just tossed the BB after years of use... Now use the Treo 600 single best device ever... Must use with the Goodlink back end server for real-time wireless sync... I LOVE IT!

8. gentry

gentry Guest

9. Erik330

Erik330 Formula Junior

May 8, 2004
    Ohio
    The sad fact is: all of that stuff doesn't work very well outside of the cities and near suburbs of NYC, Chicago, LA, Seattle, San Francisco, Boston, Atlanta, Miami, Dallas (maybe).

I am doomed to travel to the secondary and tertiary cities of the country and believe me, even cell service is getting dicey. I'm on Verizon with a fairly new Motorola phone and dropped calls are a way of life. It's far worse than it was 10 years ago with my Motorola bag phone.

Whoever invents a cell phone system that works is going to be really, REALLY rich because all the guys (McCaw, et al) who invented the ones that DON'T work are really rich.

10. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The Treo 600 is best gadget I bought this year. Email, Internet, Phone, Camera, Organizer, and so much more. Very easy to use and navigate too.

11. gentry

gentry Guest

OK, I was just looking at the 600 and I must say, it looks pretty cool. I have never been a fan of the Palm OS because it is so picky about files and such.

Does the web browser actually surf regular sites, or just WAP sites?

How is the email.

How well does it sync up as far as organizer and calendar and such.

12. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The Web browser can surf all regular sites.

The email functions well using a POP3 type email setup.

It syncs up with both Microsoft Outlook and the Palm Desktop for organizer, calendar and to do functions. So you can choose depending upon your preference.

13. gentry

gentry Guest

it looks great, but I really dont want to spend 800 bucks on a phone, I go through them too quickly or they get lost.

Also, will this work with T-Mobile and will it surf the web with regular sites?

14. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Gentry,

If you are asking me..... yes it works with T-mobile. I have T-mobile and it will surf the web w/ regular sites. I have no idea what this phone costs now. I figure it has come down in price. I bought it right when it bacame available.

15. gentry

gentry Guest

thank you.

16. gentry

gentry Guest

I bought the Treo 600 today. So far I like it.

I looked at the Sidekick, P800, P900 and a few others and although I dont like the PalmOS, the Treo had them all beat on features. I would have liked to find a nice PocketPC phone, but the only one I found is big and bulky.

Thanks for the input.

G