Driver's door handle broke - '84 Mondial | FerrariChat

Driver's door handle broke - '84 Mondial

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by FasterIsBetter, Aug 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    I know I'm a big, strong guy, but the other day, that silly aluminum plate that passes as an inside door handle snapped off in my hand when I went to open the door. Any ideas about where I can get a replacement, new or used? I'm assuming that if I simply weld it, it will just snap off again. Besides, welding aluminum is a pain. Any thoughts on how to get the door panel off to fix it?

Thanks,
    Steve W.
    '84 Mondial QV

2. LJH

LJH Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jack Horner
    Steve, At least yours lasted 20 years!

1. Did the little flat plate come out? If so, then the tiny 'J-hook" on its underside probably snapped. You'll find it in the bottom of the door. Welding does not work.
    2. Call the usual parts sources such as PartSource (Geoff Ohland), Rutlands, Fred Petroskey, Algar Ferrari in Phiily area, or Ferrari U.K., etc.
    3. Failing the usual suspects you can have it made from a solid piece of aluminum by any competent machine shop; when ours broke 16 years ago the teenagers next door begged me to allow them to try to rebuild it. When I sold the car 2 years ago their finished product was still working. They glued the piece back together to make a template and then ground it out.
    4. Any good body shop that does interior trim can help you w/ the inside door panel removal/attachemnt.

Jack Horner

3. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Thanks Jack. The little flat plate did not come out. It snapped off just before the hinge. So I have a little flat piece of aluminum and the rest of the handle is still attached.

Any chance you could send me the contact information for the parts sources off line? Obviously, I know how to contact Ferrari U.K., but if you could send me the other, it would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Steve W.

4. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Any thoughts on how to get the door panel off to fix it?

Thanks,
    Steve W.
    '84 Mondial QV[/QUOTE]
    The door panel , if the same as my UK 84 Mondial is fairly simple, If you open the door and look at the closer partby th ecenter section of the trim you will see two screws, take thenm out and slid this panel out towards the back of the car. The rest are screws dotted all over the place, beware, the bottom panel at the back of the door, the screws are on the bottom of the door.
    Onec you have the first panel out the rest is straight forward.
    If you get stuck getting a replacement in the US, pm me and I will look around the yards here for one.

5. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Steve,
    All those sources have websites with contact info, so a quick search on the search engine of your choice should bring them up quite easily....