Any Boat Owners? | FerrariChat

Any Boat Owners?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Wildwarrior, Aug 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    I am looking to purchace a pre owned 35' to 38' performance boat with twin 502s or there about to use on the bay a few weekends a month. I am leaning towards a Fountain, they look to be better built and also have more cockpit room for passengers than my freinds 38' Cigarette boats do.

Any input would be much appreciated as to other makes to look at, what to look for ect.
    Thanks! Glen

2. gentry

gentry Guest

I only have a 25' ski boat with a 302. I really have no clue about bigger ski/perf boats.

I am more of a sailing fan myself.

3. steve f

steve f F1 World Champ

Mar 15, 2004
    12cylinder town
    Full Name:
    steve
    i am in the uk and i have had a couple of formulas i would love a 311 or 292 but the are rare over here

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Here are a few photos of my boats, Ha ha

5. gentry

gentry Guest

Top Gun?

6. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    The Fountains generally will not have any more noticable cockpit room than a Cigarette of comparable size. The Cigarette will have a better ride and more speed in the choppier water while the Fountain will be faster than the Cigarette in smoother water.

When it comes to build quality, Cigarettes are about the best there is. Fountains are pretty good too. Both have been using similar designs/engineering since the 80's, but why mess with a good thing.

If this is your first high-performance boat, I would stay away from either brand for a year or two, especially in that length range. They are both stepped hull boats and can be tricky to learn on top of learning the skills and techniques of driving a high-perf boat.

I personally have a Baja and would highly recommend one for a first-time performace boater. They have a very easy learning curve and tend to be very owner friendly. Plus, they will have TONS more cockpit space compared to a Fountain or Cigarette. The 33 and 36 Outlaws are direct competitors in that size range and will actually seat 8 securly with the proper setup.

You mentioned looking for 502 motors. If youare looking at a post 2001 boat, I would recommend the Merc 496 Mag HO instead. That will give you 425 Horsepower compared to 415 plus a hugely simplified maintenance schedule thanks to the design enhancements and computer controls on the engine.

7. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Two other brands you might consider are Donzi and Formula. Both are about the best built boats you can buy, and thus assured to be on the pricey side.

On a side note, Fountain did just set 5 new speed records last week. The biggest deal was the one way pass at a little over 177mph!

Here is the video of the event.
    http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/NewsEvents/images/512%20download.wmv

8. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters

As I do drive my friends boats 80+mph in choppy seas I have never owned a large fast boat, or even piloted any for hrs at a time.
    Thanks so much for the honest advice, I am going to look at the other makes you have mentioned and mabie do a little testing this weekend.Thanks again for the first hand info it's much appreciated! Glen

9. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    No problem. You should consider looking at www.Offshoreonly.com. That is a great forum and probably the biggest when it comes to this stuff.

One other thing, in the 35+ foot range, you are going to have to be pushing some pretty serious power (500hp+ per engine to get up to the 80+pmh speeds). That can get real pricey real fast. Like a car, the more the power and more exotic the toy, the higher the price is to run and maintain.

10. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Chris, when did you get a Baja? Is that the same boat you bought last summer?

11. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    #11 DallasGuy, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  12. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Whew, thought I was losing it for a minute there. We need to go for a ride!

13. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    Sure, anytime. I have it out every weekend. It is bit better at drawing the bikini crowd like flies.

14. AntonyR

AntonyR F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Antony
    i want to get the donzi or the scarrab

15. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    So why aren't you posting THOSE pictures?

16. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    WilliamH, I saved that one too!

Reminds me of when a friend's wife leaned out to grab the kick up boarding ladder...showing the world her obvious charms..........

"Thou shalt not covet......"

Older Cigarettes would not be stepped hull, and would offer better value maybe...Fountain has passed them with records but Cigarette does not spend as much time pursuing those as a marketing effort ...they don't have to.....:)

17. DallasGuy

DallasGuy Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2002
    Frisco TX
    Full Name:
    Chris F
    #17 DallasGuy, Aug 13, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am almost out of file space. Here is a good one. I have some others posted in the Bikini thread from a few weeks back.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    email them to me, I'll post them.

19. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    I stumbled across a 27 foot 1948 Chris Craft Express Cruiser sitting on a trailer that the owner really doesn't want to keep. Does this count as a boat compared to all the hi-po 500 cube offshore rigs? (I like the classics.)