Best F1 race for European trip ? | FerrariChat

Best F1 race for European trip ?

Discussion in 'F1' started by Crawford, Aug 8, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    Laney, I, and a friend are making plans for a trip next summer to see a GP race and as much of Europe as can be seen in ~10 days.

We are also considering seeing two races that may be back to back on consecutive weekends (like Monte Carlo and Nurburgring were this year).

Opinions on the best area/race to go to??

Does Ferrari give factory tours the week of the Italian GP?

2. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I think the best venue to catch in Europe is Monte Carlo. We had tickets up on the roof of a 16 story building on the front straight and could see 2/3 of the race track. The sound of the F1s are defening in Monte Carlo and the women are out of this world...

Monte Carlo, Nice, Caen, st tropez are wonderful places to see, eat, and party.

3. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    I've been to many races in europe. I would say ,Yes Monaco, but be prepared. It is VERY EXPENSIVE!!! I do all my GP travelings with Grand Prix Tours. It's just so organized! Defenitly try to do a back to back GPs.

4. fmxa

fmxa Rookie

Mar 3, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Has to be Monaco - the cars, the women, the decadance ....... There's nothing like it in the world :)

5. Thatsmytoy

Thatsmytoy Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Full Name:
    Bill
    We booked tickets with Grand Prix tours. Had great seats and stayed at Hotel Fini in Modena. Enjoyed the San Marino GP with all the Italian fans. Started our trip in Bellagio on Lake Como...then worked our way down to Modena. Italy is so wonderful....Rome, Florence, Venice. Enjoyed the Ferrari museum, etc. Great trip. #1 tip: Always buy ear plugs for F1 races.

6. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    I agree on the ear plugs. Sitting on the covered (metal) stands at Indy 2000 was deafening. There was a couple with a very small baby in front of us - what were those idiots thinking!

7. EHKim

EHKim Karting

Dec 17, 2003
    Socal
    I 've only been to one race in Europe - the Spanish Grand Prix in 2000. My fiancee and I spent the week before touring Spain. We both enjoyed the trip greatly.

My recommendation would be to pick just one country to see in one week to 10 days prior to the race.

Tip #2: Watch out for pickpockets.

8. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Having been to many GPs I would recommend the least hassle approach, which would probably also best suit your timeframe: A GP with easy access. Monaco has been mentioned, which has the best access of all of them aside from being truly spectacular (and expensive). You could even stay in Nice and go by train, easy and fast.

Barcelona is also a great GP and relatively easy to get to with a fantastic city to spend some time in.

Imola is relatively easy if you stay in Bologna and go by train, but I thought the track was outdated. Same goes for Monza. The way Ferrari wins, you don't have to go to an Italian GP to see tifosi, they're everywhere.

I haven't been to Hungary, but I'd think it is also easy access, but probably a boring track.

Silverstone, Nuerburgring, Spa and Hockenheim are great tracks, but hard to get to.

France is neither easy to get to nor interesting.

However my personal favourite for 2005 would be: Istanbul!
    If they pull that one off, I'll be making my travel arrangements.

PS: Some of you guys mentioned Grand Prix Tours. I looked at their arrangements several times and believe you when you applaud their services, but I always think their prices are a total ripoff. I looked at Nevers and they're charging about twice to three times what a river cruise would cost (ok, it is on a GP weekend). Comments?

9. monza03

monza03 Rookie

Jan 16, 2004
    Has to be Monza. The atmosphere is out of this world. The chicane on the front and the chicane on the back straights are where to be.

Maranello is not far away, great for any Ferrari Fan. Factory tours are tough. You can also see Maserati and visit the Panini Museum.

Buy your tickets direct from the track, it the best way to go.

10. Dr JonboyG

Dr JonboyG Karting

Jul 26, 2004
    Washington, DC
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Gitlin
    Watching a race live is pretty different to seeing it on TV, so you may as well go to the race with the best atmosphere - plus if you go to Monaco and are staying nearby you stand a good chance of bumping into some of the teams in the Carrefour when you go and buy your groceries.

You also get access to the pits on thursdays and can get pretty close to the cars, and the sound of the F1 cars bouncing off the buildings is electrifying.

11. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All true. And on Monday after the race you could rent your own F1 car in nearby Le Luc.

12. Bel360

Bel360 Karting

Nov 23, 2002
    Belgium
    Full Name:
    Bart
  13. Crawford

Crawford Formula 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Nashville, TN
    Full Name:
    Crawford White
    We definitely plan to try to rendez-vous with euro-chatters wherever we go. I think that is one of the best things about on line chat forums. You have built in friends around the world!

14. hammo

hammo Rookie

Aug 13, 2004
    Spa is woderfull for the ammount of track you can physically walk around!

15. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    The best F1 race for a European trip would be the race that one of the following things happen:
    1. Ferrari 1 - 2!!!
    2. Ferrari secure the Constructors Championship
    3. Michael Schumacher secures the Drivers Championship
    4. Any combination of the above will also work

:D