Lookin to buy a new car, STi - EVO | FerrariChat

Lookin to buy a new car, STi - EVO

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Sniper, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sniper

Sniper Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Hemet CA, 909
    Full Name:
    Madhav
    Well with my LS totaled i need a new ride. Iv loved the STi ever since it came out. However, brand new, the STi is now pricey after taxes. Im under the impresstion that the EVO is cheeper by about 1-1.5 grand. I have not drivin either car but i know the specs for both of them. My question for those of you that have experience with these cars is if its worth cheeping out and settling for the Evo or going the extra mile and breaking the bank on a STi? Things i love about the STi are, 6 speed, DCCD, 2.5 with a SYMMETRICAL drivtrain, only 14.5 lbs of boost and 300 lb feet, vs only 5 gears, unequal length drive shafts, HIGH stock boost of 19.5, smaller motor, less power out of the box. If i go for the STi then id have to put maybe 27 down and pay off the rest in bite size bits. 29-31,000 is the budget im working with. The STi is hitting the 33s and im not too sure about the Evo. What do you guys think?

2. RyanZX6R

RyanZX6R Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Riverside County
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I personally love the STi for pretty much the same reasons that you love it. However, I've heard that both cars haven't been doing so well on the track. I've heard stories of engines blowing when pushed at the track. And both manufactures are reluctant to give warranty service if they think you have been racing the car. I'd do an extensive search online for some info before a purchase. Not trying to scare you off, just something to consider.

3. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Drive both. Everything I've heard is that the EVO is a significantly better handling car, although it's straightline speed is slightly slower.

4. netviper

netviper Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Saint Augustine
    Full Name:
    Dave
    If you get the EVO, just don't take it on a race track or you can kiss your warranty goodbye.

5. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    According to waht I have seen and read these cars are both "high strung" out of the box. Probably due to the HP war these two are engaged in. They are blowing up frequently.

You can get a current gen mustang cobra 385 hp brand new for your price range as the new generation is around the corner.

6. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    One other thing to consider is that Subaru seems to be improving their cars in the U.S. While Mitsubishi could go out of business in the U.S. in a few years. I have never driven an EVO but I am sure it handles great and is a blast to drive. The only reason why I would stay away from it is due to the problems Mitsubishi is having right now. When a company is doing so poorly they are more likely to fight over warranty claims I bet.

7. damcgee

damcgee Formula 3

Feb 23, 2003
    Mobile, AL
    If the purpose is not as a track car, I would give consideration to the new Subie Legacy GT. Slightly detuned STi engine (~250 hp), AWD, 6-speed, and a very nice car all around. I feel like with the Impreza, you're getting a lesser car than you should for $30k+, whereas the Legacy is a great car in it's own right. I would expect the Legacy engine to have considerable room for more boost, etc.

8. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    If you haven't, join Costco, and then book an appointment with a Subaru dealer through www.Costco.com. They have prearranged, no haggle wholesale prices on most cars. I got my WRX for straight invoice this way, and 3.84% financing (this was last summer, before any of the 0.9 winter deals).

When I was getting the paperwork done, the sales manager came and teased me and said he'd sell me the silver STi in the showroom for the same invoice deal, or about $29.8k IIRC.

Might even be the same deals for Mitsu, but I obviously have my brand loyalty already.

9. Sniper

Sniper Karting

Jul 7, 2004
    Hemet CA, 909
    Full Name:
    Madhav
    Thank you all for your info. I was not aware that these cars were going out on the track. I am more of a road course guy and would probibly want to do some track time but that would only happen every once in a while. I would consider the Evo to be a higher risk to buy because of its high boost. Of course i would want to up the power like anyone else too a short time down the road and its already at 19.5 lbs.

The issue that mitsu may have problems staying alive in the long run is a very good point. Also, im under the impresstion that the boosted cars they made in the past, GSX GS-t, were not very relighable.

Im surprized that the STi is having engine trouble. Iv not heard of problems yet but ill look into it now. I was indeed looking into the legacy and i will take a spin in one when i go to the dealer. Its not avalible with a 6 speed though.

I did look at a Cobra and i love the setup of it but its a 2 door and i really should stick to 4 doors. if i could buy a 2 door, im going to buy a SC300 off a friend of mine. (http://www.fingas.net/gallery//displayimage.php?album=45&pos=21) theres a good shot of it. its got a 2JZ-GTE in it, and hes going to provide a new supra 6 speed with the car. Its also got body stuff like CF hood/trunk, RARE body kit which i really dont care too much about, blitz wheels, 3 inch exhaust, huge front mount, on and on......

ryalex,
    I think one reason why you could have gotten one at that price is that you dont live in California. I know Costco can get great deals on cars but i dont think they will be able to with the STi. I see many STis on ebay, brand new at 29-31K but they are out of state and by the time i ship it over here, its the same price. i will talk to costco though for sure.

I dont plan on taking the car on the track all the time but im not going to lie and say that im not going to beat on it. I also need something to last as a daily driver. The LS i drove has been with us for 14 years and it still ran like a dream. The STi i think is the better car but its higher priced. What a dilemma :)

10. bimmer32five

bimmer32five Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    MD
    Full Name:
    Mark
  11. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    Being a rally nut at heart I've been following the progress of both cars for some time now and I really don't think you can go wrong with either one. If you're looking to modify it a lot in any way then the Evo is definitely the way to go as it has been on the market longer in a similar form for many years (engine/drivetrain layout similar since the Evo IV although they get a 6-spd in the rest of the world in all but the lowest model). The US STi is the only model with the 2.5L turbo engine so there are comparatively few mods out there for it and I think only recently are there any ECU upgrades out there if any at all. I personally think overall you're getting more of a car with the STi than with the Evo, but the Evo has been shown to have the sharper chassis (as has been the case all along since it's inception). I'm not sure exactly when it's going to happen, but I've heard the MR (higher performance/lower weight limited edition) version of the Evo is on the way to the US pretty soon so that might be something to look out for. Either way you really can't go wrong, but as others have mentioned Mitsubishi is going through a tough time right now and they may never recover so it could be risky. Good luck in your search though :D

12. EVO8

EVO8 Karting

Mar 6, 2004
    Cerritos, LA
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Being an Evo owner, you should go with the Evo if you are going to mod. Few engines on evo have blown up compared to Sti(since the 4g63 engine on evo have been around for a long time). The 2.5l engine on the Sti is very new so people are having trouble with mods and only few sti's have over 300 awhp before they are blown up. Usually, those Sti's with over 300 awhp are vendor's cars. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=522681 As for the Evo, 300-350 awhp is fairly easy to get, with vendors having up to 700-800 hp.

And before you choose between the Evo and Sti, check out this Top Gear video between the Evo MR vs. new STi WR1.

http://www.norcalevo.net/gallery/albums/album06/EVOvScoobyLow.mpeg
    (Right click, save as...)

Interesting that even the new subaru sti WR1 is slower than the regular Evo8 fq300. Also, the new evo MR will be around $35k and the new wr1 will be around $55k.

Good Luck on your choice.

13. mchferrari

mchferrari Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    Full Name:
    Matthew Holderbach
    If it's gotta be Evo or STi, I would get the Evo RS. Personally I'd rather have an RX-8.

14. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  15. HMS

HMS Formula 3

Dec 12, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Zack Sursio
    I drove both...The STI feels like a Vette and the Evo feels like a four banger Honda with a little turbo. Go drive them...you won't even think twice once you drive the STI.

16. infraredline

infraredline Formula 3

Mar 15, 2004
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't buy based on price - By all accounts the evo is going to take more money to keep on the road down the line. The STI, unmodded, is a 4-door AWD beast that should, properly maintained, last as long as any other subi. Mitsubishi, on the other hand, is ... mitsubishi. I'm not a brand-snob by any means, it's just that mitsu may have proven it's merit on a racetrack, but they have yet to show they can keep cars out of the garage.

17. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Modded z06s are going for mid 30s, you can bet they will get even cheaper when the C6 comes out. Food for thought.