Luxury Motor - wow... | FerrariChat

Luxury Motor - wow...

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by bpu699, Aug 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Ive seen these folks mentioned on several boards, and usually not in a flattering manner. I have only had one experience with them, which was so-so.

But they must clearly be making some serious income. They now have tons of lambo's and ferraris in stock, plus an enzo, and the new porsche supercar...

When I interacted with them 1 -2 years ago, they only had 1 or 2 ferraris, and no lamborghini's, with a ton of boxters.

They are very much going upscale, and the owner must be making the proverbial "killing."

Anyone have more recent reports of interactions with them? I might be interested in some of their cars...their prices are lower than most competitors, and I know they will drop 10% if you push hard enough.

I can't believe how well they are doing, especially since most folks have reported negative experiences...

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Are you talking about their Downers Grove Store? Or Downtown. I pass by the D.G. store all of the time,and mostly see Mercedes and Porsches....TONS of them,which,to me,aren't "Exotics" but Sportscars.(Aside from the Mercedes and Porsche "Supercars",that is.) And the Bentley and Rolls Royces at Bentley Downers Grove. I used to see more Italian cars,but lately haven't seen barely any....

3. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Yes, talking about downers grove. Actually, I'm not sure which cars are still on the lot. But 2 weeks ago they had yellow 355, and I believe a diablo. Plenty of 996 turbos of course, also.

I'm actually reflecting more on their website, which now carries more exotics. I don't know where they keep these, as they clearly wouldn't fit downtown either. When I asked about the location for the ferraris. I was told they were in a nearby warehouse, but I never seriously looked into it.

Still, it seems like they must be doing some significant business!!!

4. Manuel NSX1164

Manuel NSX1164 Karting

Jul 9, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Checked their online inventory on their website...
    http://www.luxurymotors.com/inventory.php

searching for "all Ferraris" yields 18 cars
    - 5 360 Modenas
    - 8 360 Spiders
    - 2 575M (black/tan and red/tan)
    - 1 550 Barchetta (yellow/black)
    - 1 Enzo (red/black)
    - 1 F355 coupe

Not bad...

What were the earlier "asserted troubles" with these folks ??

5. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    It says on their homepage that their annual business has exceeded...

$170,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, they're big, I guess!

6. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    I tried to purchased an MB S600 from them but we were about $4K apart. I ended up buying a Ferrari from somewhere else. If / When I'm looking for the S600 again I'll check them out.

7. bill365

bill365 F1 Rookie

Nov 3, 2003
    Chicago area
    Full Name:
    Bill
    This following are statements of opinion: Probably, from experience, some of cars shown on the website are not really there or not really for sale. They have been said to play some baiting games, with their "inventory".

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You see that alot. I get the 'DuPont Registry of Fine Automobiles' every Month. And,it looks like there are some places like that advertising in there. A few guys sitting in an office,advertising cars 'For Sale' that they don't Physically have...but "can get them at a moments notice..."

I called one once,(I wont mention the name. But,they still advertise in there) about 4 years ago,when I was first starting my Ferrari search. They said that "they No longer had the car that was advertised,that I was interested in...But could find anyting I wanted if I gave them some time to...." And....AND...if I would "send them a Deposit to hold it for me". No Friggin' way!!! I di my own search.

But,Luxury Motors in D.G. seem to be "Bursting at the seams" with cars. They have cars parked all over the place. Not really anywhere to pull in and park, if you did want to stop by and check out what they have...:( And,from what I can see when I drive by,mostly Mercedes and Porsches...Dozens of them.

9. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I've spoken with principals of some other dealers in the area, selling the same marques.

The contention of all, is that Luxury Motors may have, or may be controlled by, some financial backing that may not be acceptable to most people.

Out of all of the people that I know, that have had dealings with them, only 1 said that they were satisfied.

There's something fishy about this outfit.

Though it's only hearsay, I won't deal with them. I buy my Roller parts from Alber's in Indiana.

I'm not casting stones, I'm just relating what many people have told me about Luxury Motors/Bentley Gold Coast.

10. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    That seems to be the General Consensus........

11. DN35

DN35 Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2003
    Illinois
    Full Name:
    D. Norton
    Every time I drive past that place it seems to me that one kid with a can of spray paint could put them right out of business.

12. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Judging buy some of the comments here, I would advise against it.

13. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    back in the day when crime was at high levels in boston, we used to joke that living in the North End was a good option - 'cuz there was no UNorganized crime ;)

doody.

14. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    No,I'm not thinking Good Old Fashioned Chicago Mob....

15. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
    Has anyone here actually gone through with a transaction w/ LM in the last 6 months? Be interested to find out if any surprises along the way. I guess each xaction is different but still helps. I had a buddy looking for a Rover early last year at LM. Went somewhere else because the person helping out was pretty arrogant but even more annoying. Top it off, seemed to be right out of high school. Not my buddy's cup of tea.

16. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I haven't done business with them, and won't.

Jokingly, they're referred to as the 'Black Leather jackets'.......it seems to be their uniform of choice.

I've also heard that you do it their way, or you don't do it!!!

17. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
    As with everyone else, have only heard bad things about them but the plate brackets of their cars seem to be popping up with more frequency. If they are too forward and rude, its a shame that they have both an Enzo and Carrera GT in their currnent inventory. I mention this because if you were to check their website, those two cars appear to be in a private home garage. Perhaps a matter or question of security for that locale, but if I were a future buyer of those type of exotics I would be a bit concerned someone or some group of people with over hyped egos were spinning the wheels in such a rarity before.

I might plan on stopping by out of curiosity. All our opinions are based on what close friends have said or what we learned from others on Fchat. Maybe given their recent run of "seen" cars, maybe their attitudes have changed or they were branded wrong?

RocketBoy

18. purexotic

purexotic Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 18, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Andrew J.
  19. RocketBoy

RocketBoy Formula 3

Feb 13, 2004
    Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Professor Hajji
  20. Meeyatch1

Meeyatch1 Formula 3

Dec 28, 2003
    Low flying jet.
    Full Name:
    Mitch
    Be very careful when dealing with them. I had a bad experience personally, and a friend of mine could not get the title to his car from them for almost 2 MONTHS, and had to threaten legal action before they would give it to him. Also, I have heard various accounts of their financial backing being from a 'questionable' area as well.

21. baddogz28

baddogz28 Rookie

Aug 26, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Chris Splendoria
    I am a car salesman in the area- word on the street is that place's "financial backing" has a lot to do with various "recreational" substances... As far as their new cars.. I heard that they buy overstock from genuine Porsche, M-B, BMW dealers at invoice and sell the cars they buy as unused and cheaper than new.

22. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I'm sorry...hold on a minute. I've got Glen Frey's "Smugglers Blues" Blasting in the background....hang on a minute while I turn the stereo down.....be right back....

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    .....O.K. Now,what was that!!!!???? Hmmmm.....They say that everything that was "In Vogue" Skips a Decade then comes back...Are we talking the Return of the Big 80's here? :) Sniff,sniff....????

I am going out RIGHT NOW and looking for a White Testarossa.... Think they (LM) have one For Sale? (or can get me one?....:) )

Good thing I saved that White Linen Sport Coat...wait...it's a size 34T...I'm now a 52T...Oh well......:)

24. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    You aren't kidding about the "Overstock". You Drive by there,they have cars EVERYWHERE around the area...In the alley. Across the Street. Everywhere.

But,all I see are Porsches. BMW's. Mercedes Benz. Jaguar. And,by the "Bentley" area, some of those and a few Rolls. But,no "Exotic" Cars. I used to see a couple Lambo's or Ferrari's. But,haven't lately....Unless they're in the back or something...?

25. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    That place must be making untold fortunes... They do have one helluva-lot-of cars. Their pricing is better than the local area dealers...

I have only heard so-so things about them, but they are clearly selling a lot of cars. Ah, if only someone could be saying so-so things about me as I pocketed millions... ;).

All of these posts, and so few here admit to having bought from them? Regarding the belief that they are funded by nefarious sources, does this hold any water?

Why would a drug source fund a used car lot? I would think it would be difficult to launder **cough**cough** money in this scenario. Most of these cars are bought at auction with well documented pricing, and sold with the same. I though drug fiends prefer cash businesses.

If I were a drug czar, I would invest in real-estate, not used cars...
    Listen up drug czars, free advice....worth what you paid for it!