Sentiment in Germany towards American's | FerrariChat

Sentiment in Germany towards American's

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by scott61, Aug 13, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Was wondering if any of our German members here could tell me what the sentiment in Germany towards American's is like over there now. My 19 year old Stepdaughter just informed me she is going to Hamburg the last week in August with her boyfriend who is from there to visit his family. I would prefer she did not go especially during that time frame (RNC). As usual I get no input in the decision and her mother even made it clear to me not to try and scare her but she is a totally clueless to world events and tells me she likes it that way. Also the boyfriend is Jewish so figure she will be staying in a Jewish area.

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Euros in general are annoyed with the US with the exception of Italians, Brits, Irish, and a few other countries.

Older Euros tend to be grouchier & more hostile to the US. Younger people are usually cooler except for the usual nutjobs

3. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Germans are not particularly "warm and fuzzy" in the 1st place. No offense to any of you that are German, but I've been there twice and that is what I've found, especially vs. Italy.

4. imperial83

imperial83 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

May 14, 2004
    I visit Germany often. Everyone minds their own business and has fun. No one cares where you are from, USA, Canada, Russia or Australia. Only piece of advice that I would give is not to wear a t-shirt with USA on it or carry the US flag while walking down the street. Just tell your step daughter to act normal and not to burst into a patritic speech at the bars or clubs. She will enjoy Hamburg and touring the rest of Germany. Don't be worried. :)

5. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    I wouldn't really worry if I were you. I travel to Germany a lot and I don't think your daughter will be in any trouble. German's really don't care if you are American, IMO. Plus, she is going to Hamburg, which is a very rich city and I highly doubt anything will happen.

I was in Frankfurt the other month and everyone was very nice. I usually converse in German when I am there; however, even when I spoke English, there was absolutely no difference in the way I was treated.

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Scott, I am not German but I was born in Hamburg and lived the first 9 years of my life there. Germans tend to be very formal, especially the older generation. While they may think the same about us as the French, they would never say so in public, least of all to an American.

Hamburg is indeed one of the two most wealthy cities (Munich the other) and is very clean and beautiful. I don't think you daughter has anything to worry about. The younger generation, as someone else pointed out are pretty open minded and really don't care where you are from.

I think what seperates the German's view of us from the French is that the French have a very stuck up inferiority driven complex. The German's on the other hand don't like war or our stance on Iraq based on different factors. The older generation is still haunted by the memory of WWII and the younger generation is still somewhat affected by this.

The outer areas of Hamburg are very beautiful as is the Schleswig Holestein (my German spelling is non-existent) to the North. Also tell her to ask for a tour of the Blankenese area by the harbor, St.. Pauli (for the beer and discos) and the Landungsbrücken.

Regards,

Jon P Kofod
    www.flatoutracing.com

7. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    Dr. T's daughter is going too

8. Mike328

Mike328 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 19, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same rules apply like anywhere else.

1. Don't be a loud boisterous obnoxious American.

2. At least make some minmal effort to try to blend in, to absorb, to immerse; this comes through clothes, language, and less tangible things like mannerisms and general disposition.

3. Respect the people you're around.

4. Listen more than you talk.

5. Realize that plenty of people live life to its fullest and do just fine without being American.

6. Try and get down to Italy.

6. Most importantly, see #1.

9. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    Thanks for the comments I will worry a little less. Doubt her running around making patriotic speeches will be a problem, not quite sure she even knows who are President is or that there is even a war going on. I was telling her about how flying will be a pain due to the RNC and she asked what's that? Then when I told her she asked if it was being held in Germany.

10. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    She'll be with his family and he's from there........ she'll be fine. 99% of the worry is gone. If she was traveling alone and didn't know anyone, then a lot of this advice you've been receiving applies.

Tell her to take good picts and enjoy. Don't freak her out.........

11. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Tell her to buy shoes like they areb wearing there. Nothing screams American like gaudy sneakers

12. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    make sure she goes on the autobahn as well

13. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    In Munich and Nurmberg this year, I found the german's to be extremely pleasant. I agree that I would not be an obnoxious or arogant American! I seeked out a lot of directions from the locals and the were all very kind. On the ICE train, I put a newspaper on the seat in front of me to put my feet up. A German guy raised is eyebrows and said "You are not American, are you?".....I said, "yes, from California". He was pleasantly suprised of my etiquite.

14. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i'm an american living in london...i was in hamburg last week...it was great...people were very nice, even after hearing my accent...europe is more concerned with GWB rather than the citezens of...i wouldnt worry at all, especially since she will be with natives...

now paris, they will give u attitude there...

15. AR!

AR! Formula Junior

Apr 8, 2004
    Berlin, Germany
    Exactly. You have to make a distinction between the attitude towards Americans and the feelings about their current administration. The general sentiment in Germany towards people from the US is VERY positive - although you will always find some idiots that project their criticism against some aspects of current US politics towards its individual citizens. But then, this is something which happens in this forum to, when I think about the rants against the French ;)

BTW: When in the US I always enjoyed the friendly atmosphere towards Germans there, too. And I don´t mind psychos like Scott61 with their laughable anti-german rhetoric (but that´s another story in another thread ...).

16. scott61

scott61 F1 Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    North of Boston
    I am not anti-German, Both sets of my Grandparents came from there, My last name is German. I am just anti-anyone criticizing America, especially when it comes from Countries that have a past like Germany

17. Malfark

Malfark F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2002
    Mud Island, Europe
    Full Name:
    Markem
  18. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Worst case scenerio tell her to burn a flag or two and would fit right in with the rest of the hating world out there towards the US. What a shame we must face to travel after the US has saved so many lives and enhanced the world on so many levels.

I would tell her to have him come here and spend his Euros here instead of her there. Better in our(your)economy than theres !!

19. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    You reap what you sow. Politics aside, the reason people outside the U.S. hate us is because of those fat, loud obnoxious 'mericans who think the world is their toilet and treat people like they're put on this earth to serve them. I'M American and I can't stand half of the people who live here!