Best ever movie shootouts? Name you choice! | FerrariChat

Best ever movie shootouts? Name you choice!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Admiral Thrawn, Aug 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Along with hardcore war movies like Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and We Were Soldiers, which movies do you think have the most spectacular and/or realistic gunfights? Criteria to consider are weapons used, sound effects, handling of the weapons, use of cover, riccochets and body impact realism, etc.

My top picks would be 2000's "The Way of the Gun" (Benicio Del Toro, Ryan Phillippe)and 1995's "Heat" (Al Pacino, Robert DeNiro).

:)

2. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    As far as innovation is concerned and all around badassness......The Matrix scene where Trinity and Neo walk into the gov't building and lay waste to the bad guys. :)

Of recent movies, Collateral had a really some very realistic gun play.

3. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Ah yes...

spectacular? definately. Realistic? Not in the slightest. If you watch the sequence carefully, when Neo pulls out the machine pistols, they're ejecting entirely wrong cartridges. Also, in reality when rounds impact the wall they don't make it fly apart and spray everywhere like they do in the film. I remember there being several other major mistakes but I can't remember them all right now. It's still a cool sequence, but much cooler for the non-gun initiated. ;)

4. LMP234

LMP234 Formula 3

May 8, 2004
    TN
    Full Name:
    Leon
    Just saw Collateral (excellent movie btw), it has some really cool gun scenes.

5. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    A Shoutout to Shootouts:
    A Fistful of Dollars
    Bonnie and Clyde
    Full Metal Jacket
    Hard Boiled
    Hard Rain
    Heat
    Once Upon a Time in The West
    Reservoir Dogs
    RoboCop
    Scarface
    Taxi Driver
    The Gauntlet Getaway Matrix Good, Bad and Ugly Outlaw Josey Wales Unforgiven Wild Bunch

*snicker*

6. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Notice how I never said realistic. :)

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Wax got a good one - the gunfight in "Heat" when they leave the bank and realize they are being cornered by the cops is just FANTASTIC. The best part about it is the gunshots are very realistic and they are LOUD. Seeing that in the movie theatre was an experience. Awesome movie and an awesome gunfight sequence.

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Isn't anyone going to mention any of Mr. G's films?

Don't forget "Butch Cassidy". Or any "Dirty Harry" film.

9. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Read over his list very carefully. :)

10. Forza1

Forza1 Formula Junior

Mar 20, 2004
    California
    Realistic? I always thought the RAMBO series was down to earth... :D

Realistically, I always liked "The Quick and the Dead", and one can't help but to smile when Clint Eastwood runs his line(with a serious straight face) in A Fistful of Dollars: "...now my mule, he don't like bein' laughed at...".

Face Off also had a good scene or two.

-DC

11. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn F1 Rookie

Jul 2, 2003
    Hey, I mentioned Heat first! ;)

"The Way of the Gun" also has shootouts with completely accurate sounding weapons. They realistically make use of cover, and the two protagonists work as a team during the gunfights. The 'end-game' shootout with shotguns, 1911's and revolvers is really awesome.

12. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Tombstone, with Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer.

The OK Corral scene.
    Train scene, where Wyatt says "You tell 'em Hell's coming."
    The shootout in the creek.
    Just a great movie with several good gun fight scenes.

Magnificent Seven - Yul Brenner, Steve MCQueen, James Coburn, Charles Bronson. "They were seven, and they fought like 700..."

El Dorado, John Wayne, Robert Mitchum, James Caan, The bar scene where a hung over Sheriff (Mitchum) shoots the guy behind the piano, holds off the bartender, and smacks Ed Asner in the face with his rifle. Nothing better than a good old John Wayne movie.

Can you tell I'm a fan of the Western?

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    For me nothing beats the ending of scarface, where Tony introduces his little friend.

14. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

True, except those dumb a$$es at Sports Center have beaten that line to death. Now, whe I see the movie, and hear the line, I expect to see a baseball jumping out of a ballpark somewhere.

15. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Heat.

But, then, I don't see many movies.

16. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    The Replacement Killers

The entire movie. Start to finish.

Also, Unfrogiven has some wonderful social comentary on the dangers of mixxing alcahol and firearms as well as shooting guys named "Ned".

17. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    "Kids" is a movie that had a disturbingly realistic shooting scene. i recall the young girl that was killed by a stray bullet continued to twitch and wriggle like she was trying to run, even once dead, which is far more confronting than a western bad-guy who lands on his back spread-eagle.

having seen this in "human-size" animals many-thousands of times, it really got to me that out of the millions of deaths i've seen on the idiot-box, this was the only time i'd seen it portrayed this way.

otherwise, i recall really getting into that shooting scene in Heat.

18. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    HEAT. Tec advisor was A Mcnab of Bravo two Zero fame (UK SAS fame). Oh yes indeed! Oh yea and Reservoir of dogs, love the opening street gun fight.

19. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Very cool! Can't believe I forgot this rootinest, tootinest, shootinest...

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels

Must-see!

20. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    Will Smith in i robot was a good one, loved the bit where he rode his MV Agusta F4 and jumped it of a ramp shooting twin semi's in slow motion.
    I sat on me new F41000 at the foot of me own home made ramp.....but lost me bottle, Hey we are all still kids at hart.

21. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I second this (or fourth, since ppl have been choosing it) - I have been telling people since 1995 that Heat has THE best heist and gunfight on film... I saw it 3x in the theatres it was so intense!

I saw Collateral last night, and once again (same director), there was plenty of awesome gunplay.

22. ashsimmonds

ashsimmonds F1 World Champ

Feb 14, 2004
    adelaide, australia
    Full Name:
    Humble Narrator
    me too. :)

there's only a few films that made it to my "saw it 3 times at the cinema" list...

in fact, it's a bit OT, so i just made a thread about it.
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134353515

23. isellpower

isellpower Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Heat here to. Nothing compares. The matrix scene with the shell casings falling to the ground from the helicopter was cool.

24. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

The most realistic gunfight was the scene in The Crow where Funboy kills Eric Draven. Unfortunately Brandon Lee was actually killed for real while filming the scene.

The gun used had previously malfunctioned lodging a real bullet in the barrel. For that scene they needed a realistic flash and fire coming from the end of the gun so a full blank charge was fired, expelling the bullet lodged in the barrel and killing Lee.

I highly doubt this tragedy (which was filmed) was actually used in the final cut of the movie, but still creepy to think about nonetheless. They almost assuredly refilmed it with a double. Imagine the actor playing Funboy having to redo that scene.

25. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Full Metal Jacket is quite good.
    Enemy at the Gates is awesome
    Some James Bond shoot outs are done very well
    In Forest Gump in Vietnam is pretty realistic
    Cant forget Apocolapyse Now
    Heat

there are a few more but im tired from sitting in traffic for 4 hrs so i cant really think