Aftermarket expansion tank for 308? | FerrariChat

Aftermarket expansion tank for 308?

Discussion in '308/328' started by don_xvi, Aug 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. don_xvi

don_xvi F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Outside Detroit
    Full Name:
    Don the 16th
    Has anyone installed a non-stock expansion tank for a 308? My car is a carb'ed 78, so it wouldn't need lots of bosses for coolant temperature or anysuch. It needs a new one as the original is all rusty, so repair isn't much of an option, and I'm not eager to drop $300+ for another steel expansion tank.

So if anyone has ideas about an aftermarket piece (I calculate about 3.25 qt/100 oz) capacity, or an interchange to a modern plastic tank from another vehicle that will be easy to install on a flat vertical surface, please go ahead and speak up! I've found a number of race car pieces with 1.5-2 qt capacities (and many more that don't give dimensions or capacity!), but nothing with quite the capacity of the OE tank. In a car with so touchy of a cooling system, I'm not sure that using a smaller tank is a good thing, so I hope to find something bigger!

Thanks,
    Don

2. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I don't think I spent 300 on mine i think it was around 160 or so from GT Car PArts

3. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    First take your tank to your local radiator shop to hot tank it, pressure test it and to examine how far the rust has gone. I had my tanked, welded and painted for $50. I don't know about the other BMW's but my 88 535I uses a fiberglass tank that is integrated into the cooling system exactly as the 308 does. That fiberglass tank is the original tank, so longevitywise, it holds up well. The cap on that tank also looks identical to the cap on my GT4 tank.

I wouldn't spend over 150 on any tank. Don't pay these idiotic prices.