Anyone know of a paint to use inside exhaust pipe | FerrariChat

Anyone know of a paint to use inside exhaust pipe

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    The inside of my exhaust pipes had a little rust showing and I wanted them black so I painted them with high temp black paint but a few days later the paint was gone and the rust was showing through. Any suggestions on what to use in this area to make the inside of the pipe look black and hide the rust.

Thanks

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Any paint will burn off given the temps of the exhaust gases.
    I believe people have had good results from Jet Hot Coating(s). This tends to be done to reduce surface temperature and bring down under hood temp. Check the archives of the old site for more info.
    Philip

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Ceraminc coatins work great. I had the inside and outside of the entire exhaust system on my BB512i ceramnic coated last year and it still looks like new.

4. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I was looking for a coating that can be applied without taking the exhaust pipes off the car

5. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    That coating's called.....

rust! LOL!

6. Philjay50

Philjay50 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2003
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    Philip
    What kind of cost are we looking at for a job like this and what do you feel are the benefits.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It cost me $450.00 to have the entire exhaust system from the headers to and including the mufflers ceramic coated at a company near my office in the Atlanta area. I had to bring them the parts though, so unless you do it yourself R&R would be extra.

8. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Depends on how much you want to spend. If not a lot:

Griot's has maniford paint - I don't care for most of their products except the wheel cleaner and interior cleaner - but I have met Richard the owner and he has had some fine F-Cars. You'll have to get the catalog, it's not on their web site.

The other option (don't laugh) is get some rust-o-leum high temp paint at home depot. It's really made to paint BBQ grills, etc etc. I've used that once on a previous car and worked OK. Obviously, sand down as much rust as you can before painting.

9. Frari

Frari Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    brisbane australia
    Full Name:
    tony
    You might try and get the exhaust ceramic coated. I have seen this done to a number of exhausts and the finish is brilliant and there is less heat radiation from the exhaust. This is usually done to the extractors etc. regards Tony

10. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I am considering doing the ceramic coating on my 308's header and was wondering if there would be more, less or about the same heat in the engine compartment if I removed the aluminum heat shielding that is currently on my headers and have them coated. Any thoughts on this?