Taking out of gear at stop without using clutch | FerrariChat

Taking out of gear at stop without using clutch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dhs-9, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dhs-9

dhs-9 Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    I was wondering if any damage or disadvantage to taking the car out of gear (usually 4th or 5th) into nuetral when slowing down or coming to a stop at a light rather than using the clutch to take it out of gear. It seems to come out of gear easily without the clutch. Maybe I would be saving wear on the clutch by flicking out of gear without it.

2. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    There will be no damage to the gearbox if the teeth of the gears are unladen when you knock the shifter into neutral. In other words if you are neither accelerating or decelerating but just coasting, with the engine RPM just right for your road speed, slipping into neutral is harmless. Mind you, you won’t be doing the clutch any favors at that point, just the thrust bearing. You see the clutch is there to match up any discrepancies in RPM between the rear wheels and the engine - which is why one tears it up doing racing starts - and thus if your RPM is perfect for your car’s speed in that gear there is no discrepancy, and thus no clutch wear if you depress it.
    With all that said you will save on left shoe leather, so if you wear expensive loafers and have a good ear for your engine note, well then, go for it.
    Kram

3. Merdav

Merdav Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2004
    Very accurate response.

4. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    i think the other thing you are missing (especially going out of 4th or 5th) is the assistance the engine gives you in stoping the car - can you say extra brake wear. If you are in 4th and don't down shift you are still doing a decent pace putting it in neutral before a stop. I think in certain cars this also effects the brake servo boost

5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I've been "knocking it out of gear" forever. Once your ear tells you it's safe, it just much easier that messing with the clutch -- especially if you're about to sit at a stoplight for a few minutes. It's not the clutch that would wear out so much as the T/O bearing and your leg muscles. (Actually the T/O wouldn't give a rats "butt" while the pedal is on the floor)

This technique, sanctioned by me, is known as the "lazy, cheap, clutch-fearing" technique.

The converse is also true -- match revs properly, and you can shift into any gear you'd like without any gnashing or grinding. I used to do that all the time in an old P-bug when the clutch was getting down to fumes.

-Daniel

p.s. This might be safe on the mechanicals of the car, but any experienced driver will attest that it's not "safe" with regard to other traffic on the roads.

6. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    latly i have noticed alot of manual related questions. i'm suprised no one has mentioned the technique of shifting with a clutch. my grandfather who drove trucks commercially for 40 yrs learned that technique. i do realize that the trucks use straight cut gears.

7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Personally, I would much rather use my brakes to slow down my car than my engine/transmission. Brakes are much cheaper.

8. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    amen to that, VS. money shift anyone!

9. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    not that the owners manual is always right or that it always has the owners interest in mind but mine says to use the proper downshifting technique and not to coast the car in neutral to a stop, btw I don't think using the engine to stop causes additional wear, it just provides additional resistance in stopping as well as helping the brake servo, YMMV

10. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    these newfangled carbon jobbies sure ain't!

:)

doody.

11. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    reason for not coasting in any situation is lack of car control, you have no control if you need to get going again. braking then down shifting is not using the engine to brake assist which can be costly if you're going to fast for a given gear. but poping into nuetral than coasting to a stop is dangerous and illeagal.

12. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Please reference which state & motor vehical/civil/penal code you're referring to.

13. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
  14. Spasso

Spasso F1 World Champ

Feb 16, 2003
    Land of Slugs & Moss
    Full Name:
    Han Solo
  15. Ricambi America

Sponsor Owner

Wow... those granola-crunching left-coast liberals really got me !! A whole law about which gear to use?!?! I guess they've already taken away my right to smoke, so now they're working on my right to operate the car in neutral.

I stand corrected. (but now even more wary of California...)

16. FasterIsBetter

FasterIsBetter F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2004
    NoNJ/Jupiter FL
    Full Name:
    Steve W.
    Most of those laws go back a long way. Remember, older cars were rather prone to brake fade, and it was fairly common for trucks to lose their brakes on long, steep grades (ever notice those run-outs on some of the Interstates for run-away trucks?). So requiring the use of the engine to take some of the load off the brakes made sense.

The general comment that brakes are cheaper than engines/transmissions is often heard around the race track. On the track, you use the brakes to stop and downshift to keep the engine in its proper power range so you can be ready to accelerate. You don't use the engine to brake (that's the reason we use heel-toe shifting, to match revs, not to slow the car down with the engine).

For every day driving, it probably doesn't matter that much, as long as you're not putting severe strain on the engine by downshifting to radically from speed without matching revs.

Regards,
    Steve W.

17. LJH

LJH Rookie

Feb 2, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    Jack Horner
    Neither a mechanic nor a lawyer, but when coasting to a stop while still in gear most cars we owned over the years seemed easy enough to make the clutchless move into neutral at slow speeds. I try not to make this a practice as I would not want to have the car begin to involuntarily pop out of gear. Especially as the shift lever is heavily sprung (to the middle of the "H").

My guess is that most U.S states have a little law that says that you cannot operate (coast) a vehicle in neutral while moving; control & whatnot. But if you think that's a pain, when I took my UK driver's test years ago the stoplight/stopsign procedure was: approach stop in gear, come to a stop and shift into neautral (not quite "both feet in") and then engage the hand brake. On green, put car in first, disengage hand brake, release clutch, proceed forward. This was regardles of terrain, although it proved to be good hill stop practice.

18. smg2

smg2 F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Apr 1, 2004
    Dumpster Fire #31
    Full Name:
    SMG
    this would explain why the new jags have an elctronic parking brake that can be set at a stop and when the car is moved it'll unbrake itself automatically.

19. cavallo_nero

cavallo_nero Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    colorado
    Full Name:
    Giovanni Pasquale
    Mechanically, i thought it was damaging to the ring and pinion gear in the differential to be coasting in neutral as these gears need some 'drag' to operate correctly (backlash?) and with minimal wear to the teeth.

20. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    KRAM - Excellent answer.

Yeah, I'm guilty of the same thing....If I'm creeping up to a light slowley and still in 4th I'll neutral it without the clutch. The key is to know when the rpm is OK...for me it's a gentle feel with one finger on the shifter and she will just slide into neutral with no effort. It's not to reduce clutch, T/O or slave wear - it's just being lazy.

Re: Shifting gears W/O clutch. Reminds me when I broke a clutch cable in my P-Turbo. Early Sunday morning on my way to church I was 25 miles from home when the clutch cable broke. Drove home with no clutch. At a stop light I would kill the engine, throw it into 1st and start the car in 1st gear. It would "hobble" enough to get going, then I match the RPM to up shift. The higher the gear, the easier to do. A few grinds here and there, but got home OK. Of course I would never do this in the F-Car.

21. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry