Valentine 1 pain in the back | FerrariChat

Valentine 1 pain in the back

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by ferraridriver, Aug 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I am so stiff, sore, and my back hurts. There’s not much room under the dash of a 355 :(

I decided to send in my Valentine1 for an update, and that prompted me to finally figure out how to hard wire it.

After much searching around under the dash, I decided to wire it to a “key on hot” terminal in the fuse box under the foot well.

I had to get the trim around the headliner off, and then run the telcom wire down the windshield post. The Valentine power supply goes in the fuse compartment, with another telcom wire to the concealed unit behind the steering wheel.

All the wires are hidden except for a short piece between the V1 and the headliner trim.

I bought an “add a circuit” fuse and replaced the turn signal fuse with it. Tested and everything works. :)

In about two weeks I’ll get the concealed unit and a new Valentine 1 then I can finish it up.

4 hours of crawling around under the dash has about killed my back, time for a cool one. :)

2. bludevil12

bludevil12 Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

May 12, 2004
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    David L.
    What is the motivation for "hiding" the V1??

3. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I'm going to get a V1 soon and possibly a concealed display but i'm worried about the effectiveness of it hidden under the dash

4. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I didn't make it clear, sorry
    The V1 goes in front of the rear view mirror, but then I can't see the display, so the Concealed unit goes behind the steering wheel where it's in my sight.

I will Probably loose the rear reception from the V1, but that's the tradeoff.

Before it was low on the windshield, with the cigar lighter cord. I never liked that.

5. WAR EGL

WAR EGL Formula Junior

May 8, 2003
    SE Connecticut
    Full Name:
    TWS
    Dave,
    I hid my V1 behind my rear view, but left it hanging out to the right just enough so that it can still 'see' out my rear window. I haven't seen any change in performance as a result of mounting it that way. My only complaint is that now I can't get to the power knob easily on the main unit to power it off when driving through areas full of strip malls.

TWS

6. doug328

doug328 Formula 3

Mar 11, 2004
    The Space Coast, FL
    Full Name:
    Doug B
    If the new unit saves you from getting a speeding ticket, and/or you don't have to worry about hiding it from plain view as the cop is walking toward your car, then the pain in the back will be worth it.

7. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Yeah, I did the same; it violated my sense of symmetry, but what the hell. :)

Another thing I did was put a micro toggle switch on the key siren so I can turn if of when I’m working under there and need the key on.
    I opened the box, and spliced the switch (Radio Shack) into the speaker wires.

I think the “Concealed Display” has a mute button; I should have it in a week or so. It will go on the flat area behind the serial number plaque.

Every thing is wired up and ready to go, and my back’s better now, time for some golf :)

8. caseykimma

caseykimma Formula 3

Jun 5, 2004
    Reading, PA
    Full Name:
    Casey
    I mounted my V1 using the clip (not suction cups) onto the right side sunshade/visor on the driver's side. I then ran the wire back to the left and then down the side of the windshield post. After that, it runs under the steering column and to the cig lighter port in the center console. The wires are exposed (but out of the way)around the steering column and lighter port area, but are concealed everywhere else with no compromise in performance. The display is easy to read and signals easy to hear.

9. GDautosport

GDautosport Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    NJ
    right in the middle of the windshield; only had it up for 2 days, but so far it doesnt bother me

10. k wright

k wright Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 4, 2004
    North East TN
    Full Name:
    Kent Wright
    Look at the Valentine website. It has in addition to the remote display a remote volume control that works exactly like the volume control on the main unit. If you get it you will never touch the main unit for anything, including to turn it on/off and to program it. I stuck this down on the console within easy reach.