Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread... | Page 9 | FerrariChat

Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Good lord, you are a lucky man. Did u get to feel the awesome accleration?

2. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Not at all. we were driving off the golf course and up the road just a bit in traffic. Hearing the motor rev though was an awesome sound. It sounded so damn tight.

:)

3. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    is that the only one with that color?

4. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    They ran the Chrysler concept car on the track for a few demo laps. They claim they will build it. It's a turbo 12'er but it's a Mercedes engine.

5. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  6. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    What is the silver thing between the sidepod and the body on the Lancia Ferrari D-50?

7. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks for the great hospitality the Pacific Region FCA group showed on Saturday. Parking 100' from the track, great food and fanatics, and a perfect spot for getting up close to the action. Worth way more than the $85 it cost me. You guys and gals did it up right and I will be back.
    Coming down from my Ferrari high in Texas.

8. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
    The silver thing looked like an aux radiator that was half taped over. It was bloody cold in the afternoon, or at least I thought so!

9. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Just back, although returning to volunteer for the FCA festivities on Tuesday. I will be camping out at the Quail Lodge.

High: Test drive of Maser Coupe with Cambiocorsa on the 17 mile drive
    Low: Traffic jam to get into concorso, had to pull over in the old girl to let things cool down

Overall, a great weekend, with 250 gte reunion, as well as tom yang's get together (tomyang.net). As always, not enough time, not enough money....

Here is a pic of wife and kids by the Enzo:

10. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/PhotoOfWeek/2004/0815halfedferrari1.jpg
    http://www.autoracing1.com/Images/PhotoOfWeek/2004/0815halfedferrari2.jpg

When these carbon fibre cars first came on the scene it was discussed that they should be destroyed because they will not last or maintain their structural strength. This accident appears to confirm this because from what I have read here (http://alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=6155) it was a LOW speed accident into a tyre wall.

Thus they really should be static museum pieces IMO only.

Pete
    ps: Also what is going to happen to the McLaren F1 road car and the F50 + Enzo as they age??

11. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    F40 is carbon-kevlar, and they are fine...

--Dan

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The F40 has a space frame chassis ... the carbon-kevlar just reinforces the chassis. Thus not completely carbon like the F1 and Enzo, etc.

Pete

13. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Just got back from the FCA drivers school at the track. Glad I did it before the track days Wednesday and Thursday. Had an instructor, but guess he was too busy with his other 3 students, I never saw him all day. Figured things out on my own pretty quick. I felt really comfortable and will just have a little fine tuning later this week. Got 4 good sessions in.

Now for a historic mark, I did spin the Challenge for the first time ever in my history of over 18 months of lap thrashing abuse. The spin was the result of a few mistakes... too early apex on 2, too high tire pressures, 3rd lap - so tires not 100% warm, and I overcorrected when I ran out of track at exit. I have it on in-car video, Greg Scott got it on video from the Turn 3 stands, and I think James G. and Art355 may have been in the stands too for witness of this historic moment.

Honestly, after I got that out of my system I really felt good for driving this course the very first time. Hopefully I can lay down some laps Wednesday and Thursday where I see God a few times.

14. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    The 360 Challenge Series had practice sessions...

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Another great surprise, Ferrari UK was at the FCA Mercato at the hotel. Was able to speak with Malcom. They had a book of positive customer emails and more than half were FC users. Very cool!

16. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    I am kicking myself for not snapping the pic, but at Concours, in the Mercedes Benz suite, the brunette model-ette on the porch.... Ohhhh My Gawd.
    Victoria Secret material.

17. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Be careful of apexing too early on turn 9. This is what can happen even to a good, experienced driver:

http://bender.annenberg.edu/pelican/JackOlsen/LagunaWall-Med.avi

The last I heard, the marks were still on that wall.

18. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Jeez, I just get back in from SFO and get online and find that this thread is up to eleven pages already??

Anyway, I had a great three days in greater Monterey. The Concorso was great (once I got there) and I enjoyed the FC dinner and meeting some of you. Then two great days at Laguna Seca with delightfully cool weather and lots of great cars.

Memories? Seeing F-cars on the roads so often it almost seemed commonplace. Row upon row of 308s and 328s at the Concorso. An orange Enzo (the photos don't do it justice). The incredible two-tone 212 with the dazzling finish. Lots of interesting non-Ferraris like that little Zagato and the best-in-show Bizzarrini. All the non-red Ferraris that arrived for our dinner until the Enzo showed up. (And the 250 SWB that arrived later!) More running F1 Ferraris than I've ever seen in one place. Seeing Bud Moeller and his sweet 312T5 again. The '68 and '69 F1 cars with their "bundle of snakes" exhausts. Hearing a BRM V-12 for the first time in 28 years. Walking through the paddock and seeing 250GTOs at every turn! Seeing Phil Hill, Stirling Moss and Dan Gurney. Watching a "Pooper" win a race. Ferraris I had never seen before, like the Dino 246 GP car and a 330P4. And the ever-incredible view of most of the circuit from the top of the hill near the Corkscrew.

And that just scratches the surface. It'll take a couple of days for me to get my photos (11 rolls) back from the developer, but with all the photos already posted, why bother? Well, I will post a few well-chosen ones.

19. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

HOLY FARCKING SHIITE!!

His damned windshield even popped out! That was one punked Porsche. Damn...

20. robertgarven

robertgarven F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2002
    Ventura, California
    Full Name:
    Robert Garven
    Dear friends,

Just got home,

Sorry I missed the F-Chat dinner, it looked like a lot of fun. I had already made plans and they turned out to be worthwhile as after dinner we went to a bar across the street from our hotel, which was pretty cool (I was parked in a carport where I could see my car from the room and had mostly F-chatters parked next to me). Anyway the bartender told us a secret way (to us) to get into the CI and were on the grass within 5 minutes of leaving our hotel, she also told us the way to the track which was the same way and we were there with no traffic. Coming home after a few :) drinks a very nice man at the motel asked us if we were going to PB and I told him we had not planned to, anyway he gave us 2 VIP passes. I had never gone and people are right, you have to do it at least once in your life. This is no secret but the trick is to get there early, we were on the grass at 5:00 and we watched the cars pull on the grass. We saw and heard most every car and left by 9, no crowd no fuss.

My biggest regret is not meeting more of you! I met Steve fast355 who parked next to me and Napolis at the track plus lots of friends from the F-list. Peter Rychel drove there with his gt4 from Canada and their chase vehicle broke down! Wayne A. and Edvar V. from Holland came up to meet me. I was so nervous and excited about the whole judging thing I really didn't spend as much time as I wanted visiting. Wish I could have stayed for the FCA event but I was already on sensory overload! I liked it before when it ran concurrently with the weekend and hope they do it like that next time, 2 weeks is too much to put my wife through and the $$, well lets just say I could have gone to the Ferrari factory with what I spent this weekend!

I can't believe I did not even hear about the "big" Ferrari event, how did you guys get notified about this, I get Rosso and thought I was on their mailing list?

BTW I won the silver award in my class for the Dino GT4. It was a very proud day for me, my wife and the car, and a big accomplishment as I do all the wrenching etc. on my car, I probably could have got a platinum except for my tubi and wheels. I had lots of documentation on the car so I think that helped me get the silver. I drove HWY 1 all the way up and back(the gt4 pic earlier in this thread is us), fantastic scenery the car never missed a beat. For what it is worth both the gold and platinum gt4 cars were trailered there........ I spent most of the day waiting to be judged so I only got a brief look at all the many other cars, before finding out I had to be back by the car for the award ceremony. It was a real nice to have the PO asking to buy the car back from me after 10 years (he has had several F-cars since and said the gt4 was the best)!!

Rob Garven

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Concrats and she looks beaut!

Love that ;) :) :D :D ;) ... I can see it smiling ;)

Pete

22. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Congrats Rob, you deserve it. I think it was the cellophane on the spark plugs that you had rewrapped that did it ;) Had a good chat with Rose while you were getting judged. Say hi!

Scott

23. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Here are some of my pics.

DL

24. adeseta

adeseta Rookie

Feb 6, 2004
    Darth: Great pictures, you have a real eye for detail.

25. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    Very nice pics Darth, how much do those 300sl's sell for anyway? They are very cool.

Is that the RR 100ex? That thing has an uber engine, V16 :D