Exhaust hole? | FerrariChat

Exhaust hole?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Cooly0, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    I just looked in my engine bay tonight, and saw that a bolt head is missing of the exhaust manifold (I believe that is what it's called) The bolts all usually light up but I actually saw the changing pattern of read and white through the whole, which is in the center of where the head was. I couldnt tell if just the head is gone, or the bolt. Can anyone input on this ? It is the piece that is right below Cyl 1-4.

Thanks,

Edit: Sorry almost forgot it is a '80 308 GTSi which I think is a US version but there are many signs it's a euro, 80 was a odd year for many parts.

Update: It is the exhaust manifold and in the parts manual off of Ferr UK it show piping going to those bolts, unfortunatly they do not have this part and I can't get the name of it or what they do?

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    HUH????????

I'm not trying to be belligerent, but I don't have the slightest idea of what you're asking.

3. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Im sorry, Im asking is this a problem. something I should be concerned about because it is below the fuel lines and my guess obiviously is that it is not like that stock.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Please clarify -- Is the "hole" at a fitting on top of one of the main exhaust manifold tubes (i.e., at one of the exhaust sampling tubes) or is it related to where the small tubular branches of the air injection manifold (item E) bolts to the cylinder head?

Both can be "fixed/plugged", but which is the problem?

5. Cooly0

Cooly0 Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Milford
    Full Name:
    Jozy
    Well the the bolt is placed, actually on the manifold, (aka the large tube that E is pointing to, before the bend in the arrow on the drawing) . I'll see about taking a picture to better clarify, since my explaination are not the greatest, I'll have it posted early this evening.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Not an uncommon problem for the exhaust sampling tubes to become embrittled and break off. Ferrari PN 110860 is a short M12 x 1.25P threaded plug that can (along with a 12 x 17 x 1.5 Cu washer) be used to replace the tubes and reseal the opening (if you can get the old buggered-up fitting out and clean the threads up). Do a search at the old site on "110860" for prior threads (although there are simplier, if somewhat crude-ish, fixes -- e.g., putting a sheet metal screw into the remaining ID portion of the broken off tube).

7. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    As a blown header 308GTB expert, I've also seen a well applied welding bead puddle built up to solve the missing sampling tube problem....I guess that guy's patience with bolts and threads was past his personal threshold!

These areas do glow red when operating, espaecially if your fuel mixture is off..best to check that out on the 4 Gas Analyzer.....

Speedy"Hand me that 6010 rod there"308

8. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Steve, I'm in the process of plugging the sample tubes on my 1980 308GTSi and looking thru old postings you mention that the plug size is M12 X 1.5P. Today you say it is M12 X 1.25. Do you know which pitch is? If it is in fact 1.5P I can find something locally, if it is 1.25P am I stuck with going to Ferrari or one of the sponsers here? Thanks in advance.

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Walt -- This thread has the best data for the 110860 exhaust gas sampling port CO plug:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/73413.html

so I believe it's a M12 x 1.25P thread. Sometimes we mix in discussion about the air injector port plugs into the same threads (and that's M14 x 1.5P IIRC) so that might be how the 1.5P is coming up -- or if I just made an error and mis-stated 110860 as a 1.5P pitch please let me know where that thread is.

10. Matt Morgan, "Kermit"

Matt Morgan, "Kermit" Formula Junior

Nov 12, 2003
    Ferndale, WA
    You might try looking into oil pan drain plugs at the local parts store. Many sizes are available, and the length is usually just right.
    HTH

11. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Steve, I can't exactly find it now but the hard copy I printed looks like it's from your 1:10 PM post of today but it is post #4 so I suspect that I may have found it in the old chat. My printed copy has has a time of 9:47 and a plug size of M12 X 1.5P.
    What really matters to me is the following: Is a plug that is M12 X 1.25P readily available or I'm I looking at $19 each from FoA? Thanks again for your help and the help from all the others here, without this group I would be lost when it comes to such things.

12. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Walt -- You printed too quickly ;) I had just lobbed M12 x 1.5P into that #4 post this morning as a placeholder knowing that I would go back and edit it if it was wrong, but then I got to thinking that I should clear up just exactly which plug Cooly0 was interested in so I redid the whole #4 post.

$19 each is an insult -- worst case, FerrariUK indicated that they had 110860 for ~$5 each:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/discus/messages/256120/207751.html

if you can't find something along Kermit's suggestion or a standard fastener to modify/use.

(But one minor point is that on a "standard" hex head M12 x 1.25P bolt, the head size will be 19mm and not the smaller/cleaner IMO 17mm head of 110860.)

13. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    I hate when that happens (printing too fast). Thanks for the Ferrari UK tip! I'll try Kermit's suggestion first.