Pzero Rosso vs Pzero Asymetrico? | FerrariChat

Pzero Rosso vs Pzero Asymetrico?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Artherd, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Well, the Asymetricos are over 10 years old now, but do they still hold up?

Are the Rossos a better performance tyre (We know they're a better all arounder in wet/quiet/wear categories)

But which will turn harder?

2. carl888

carl888 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Carl
    Hi, I assume in terms of the Asimmetrico (Note spelling) you are talking about the original Giallo that arrived as OE on the F40. If so, that tyre is still the flagship. This is borne out by the tread wear index of 140 versus 220 for the Rosso. It won't last as long as a Rosso though. I guess my choice would depend on what sort of driving you do, miles or outright dry grip without going to a "R" compound. Remember, cars like the 355 MUST have the Direzionale on the front which means you have to use the Giallo Asimmetrico compound on the rear.

Regards,

Carl.

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    carl- do you mean to say the orgional Pzero Asimmetrico (ie the tread pattern that was OE for the F40, which you term Giallo) has more than one compound?

I know Ferrari uses Pzero Direzionale on the front of the F355 (and Asimmetrico rear) but I have seen Diablos with OE Asimmetrico front and rear.

To complicate the matter even furthur, there is now a Pzero Rosso Direzionale.

So the classic (yellow) Pzero is still king for the most agressive street and track driving?

4. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

IMO, the Rossos are outstanding for street & track driving. I experienced them on a student's 550 on track a few months ago, and i was carrying at least 10 MPH more speed thru the corners than I could with my POS Michelin Pilot Sports. Plus, they were virtually silent, compared with the Screaming Meemie Michelins.

5. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Regular Pilot Sport or the new PS2?

6. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Regular. PS2's were not out yet when I bought the POS PS's...

7. ATBNM3

ATBNM3 Formula 3

Nov 17, 2003
    Sunny Isles
    Full Name:
    Don Jackson II
    I have the PS2's on my M3 and the are an amazing tire. Loads of unbreakable grip but still compliant in normal driving situations and.

8. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I don't know that the uniform treadwear number is definitive to amount of grip available, it is only an indication. The stock Dunlop 2000E's (255/40/17) on my BMW are rated at 140 treadwear, yet seem to wear like iron, and have poor grip, esp. in the rain. I put some Goodyear F1 GS-D3's on recently (treadwear 280), and they have way more stick.

9. Skindiver

Skindiver Karting

Apr 22, 2004
    JHB SA.
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I have these on my 328. 225 x 18 and 255 x 18 on my 328. I was worried that 18's would give a very hard ride to begin with. I couldnt have been more mistaken. They ride softer than the origional General Eagles x 16 that they replaced. The front does tramline a bit but i suppose its because of the extra width. before settling on these i tried and discarded Dunlop sp 9000 and another obscure make. we just couldnt balance the tyres with the other wheels.

The Rossos look great with the different patterns from the inside to the outside and perform really well for street use. They are very quiet too. My only comparision is against similar sized Michelin pilots which i have on my m coupe' and they do better in corners. I often get the BMW sideways at low speed unintentionally.

Directional tyres dont look good on ferraris in my opinion. The top of the tyres are too exposed with the high arches front and back in 3 x series and the directional tread gives the car a dune buggy look.

Skin.