K40 - Radar - Some interesting info!!! | FerrariChat

K40 - Radar - Some interesting info!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by richard_wallace, Aug 16, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    To set the story up...

I had a old 1996 K40 radar unit in my 355 spider (installed by the dealer way back when). Started getting an error beep... Called K40 tech line - they gave several suggestions - first of which have a authorized dealer replace the front sensor with the newest sensor - better detection, longer range, etc. about 180 dollars installed with the wiring kit (different wires for the new sensor). I did this - because of some of the advantages of the new sensor. Still had the error beep.

Called the tech back - he said that the control unit (which resides under the dash) - is probably faulty... New ones are big dollars 800 or so (I think). But he said that there units have lifetime warranty - just send it back and they replace it with the newest model... only paid for 2 day return postage (40 bucks) for a brand new control unit!!! Very Very nice customer service!!!

I did this - and had the new one installed. Still got the error beep... I am at the K40 shop with the installer (good kid, knows his stuff). So we call K40 walk through testing all the voltage, etc.. To no avail... The tech says (on speaker phone) - you have checked the connection to the front and rear sensor - and you are getting connection to both right? We say - we only have the front sensor (which is common and since most laser and radar scans are from the front - no need to do more than you think is necessary - that is why I only did the front..)

So he goes - ohhh I know what your problem is... Take out the control unit - you don't need it - just direct wire the sensor wires to the led in your dash for visual and speakers for alert sound. The new sensors are "smart" and you only need the control unit - if you have two feeds coming in from front and rear or if you have the K40 Laser Jammers with the radar/laser detection...

So basically what this means is for the cost of the sensor and wiring kit ($180 or so) plus installation (say $100) - Total of ~$300 you have your base K40 Laser/Radar dection.... Which is in line with many of the high end "portable" units - and not the $1200 the full unit costs.

Thought I would throw that out there - since I have spent the last 3 months working on this issue...

Rich

2. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    Top... isn't this remotely interesting :)

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    The K40 pales in comparison to the V1 !

4. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I actually ran both in my daily for a while to do a comparison - and really they are very close - maybe 1 or 2 second more advance notice in the V1... Which often times does not make that significant difference (which sometimes it does - I know) - but the concealed nature of the K40 - makes up for it - and frankly - after I had the K40 unit 8 years - and they replaced it with a new one - as I mentioned above - it is hard to beat that for customer service as well!

5. JimmyJ

JimmyJ Formula Junior

Jul 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Roy James
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at getting K40 myself. Are they the company that also has the no ticket guarantee?

6. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    The problem with K40's is exactly what you spoke about originally. They are sold as very high buck units for what is essentially a basic radar detector. Rear coverage is very importnat, especially in freway driving and the K40 simply doesn't perform as well as the V1, especially in determining where the threat is coming from.

I had a K40 in a Testarossa in the early 90's and it sucked big time. I received two radar tickets without so much as a peep out of the K40 and they refused to honor their ticket warranty on some vague installation issue grounds. Needless to say I will never ever consider a K40 ever again.

7. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have never had a speeding ticket while using my V1. And, I like the mobility of the V1 as I move it from car to car depending on what I'm driving at the time. If you must have a hidden unit, there is a company in New York that will mount the entire V1 mechanism in the rear view mirror of your car. It looks really cool. I don't remember the companys name, but you can find it as well as photos of the unit itself at www.bmwm5.com

8. richard_wallace

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    I think all the major manufacturers of Radar Dectors are offering a no ticket guarantee...

Since I have used both systems for many years... I think both are nice units... i personally think the little arrow of where you are being tagged from in the V1 is not necessary.. When it goes off - I am slowing down regardless of where it comes from. With the K40 - you can have rear and front - which will tell you it is coming from the back or front - it just won't dileniate from right rear or left rear, etc.

However I have not had a ticket in 10 years - with either unit (I have had a few warnings - with both - more of an instant on tag.)

I can say - I have never been tagged from the rear. Most of my law enforecment friends and most training that are given to police is to Tag from the front. In the rare event that a radar cruiser is coming up behind you - they will get you visually/speedo - just as eaisly as they would with tagging you with a radar... And I am usually going fast enough that they don't just sneak up behind me.

When it comes to Laser which is the most prevalent for of enforcement in the larger cities that I frequent - 99% of the time you absolutely will not be tagged with laser from behind. All Law enforcement training instructs from the front - with specific targets such as your plates or front headlights as the target.

It is personal preference - on my BMW I use the V1, on my FX45 and F-car I use the K40... My BMW - the lighter is situated nicely for me just to plug it in and go... - My FX45 - which I do long trips in - I have other things plugged in and wanted it integrated - so I didn't have to deal with it.

I do like the new Mirror integrated V1 - I might give that a try next time as well.

Just pointing this out - that if you want a K40 for $300 - you can actually do it. Which now takes the highest priced unit on the market - and makes it less than most high end portables...

Just as a side note - I had the Solo S2 from Cincy Microwave as well (until it was stolen) - I did like the cordless aspect - but of the three it was the worst. Again - I also agree that the V1 is the "best" detector unit - however I just like the concealment of the K40 - and the customer service - when they replaced it after 8 years.. Which is enough for me to warrant the trade off...

9. benjet

benjet Formula 3

Jan 14, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Lobenstein
    Funny I did this as well. MANY MANY times the K40 didn't beep (at all) when the V1 did, and many were real threats.

-Ben