Need Paint | FerrariChat

Need Paint

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 8thsin, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8thsin

8thsin Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    I have 2003 Ferrari 360 Modena PPG Grigio alloy mixed paint and it does not match the car

Does anyone know what paint company ferrari uses to paint there cars

ppg, williams etc...

I am desperate my car has been down for months

Thanks

Kittredge

2. wrecktech

wrecktech Formula Junior

Jun 4, 2004
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    PPG I think. You need to get the color on the car scanned and mix it to the scanned formula. I use BASF Diamont and they have cards that are painted with each formula and you can hold them next to the car and see what color sample matches best. You will also need to find a qualified person who mixes and matches paints. Matching paint is really an art.

3. 8thsin

8thsin Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
  4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Four dealers in the US have been Certified with special body shops to repair the 360...

I know Ferrari of Houston is one.....all of these facilities are equipped to color match paint IN HOUSE......it's an amazing system...

Where are you and who can tell him the other dealers????

5. 8thsin

8thsin Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    What is the number to that shop

Thanks

6. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Ferrari of Houston is 713 780-2350

7. nickm

nickm Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2004
    Ventura Ca.
    The key to matching the color exactly is to find out the exact brand of paint that the Ferrari factory uses. If they use PPG then use PPG. If you use a different manufacturers paint, the toners used to mix your specific color will be different shades and quantities than what Ferrari used. You will NEVER be able to match the paint exactly, no matter how hard you try. It wont be too hard to find out exactly the brand of paint used for your car. Make sure you double and TRIPLE check with a few Ferrari dealerships till you hear the same answer from them all. I had some trouble with a titanium Diablo SV which needed a major blend on the passenger quarter panel. With a bit of calling around to the few Lambo dealerships in the US, I found out Lamborghini uses PPG paints. The titanium paint matched perfectly! (and silver is almost impossible to match.)

8. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    You will also need to find a qualified person who mixes and matches paints. Matching paint is really an art.[/QUOTE]

A quality shop should be able to match the paint, even if it is not the exact same manufacturer. But, I would agree that matching paint can be an art. Silver is extremely tough....seperates quality people from mediocre people. Many cases, it still may require a fade-out and blend into an adjacent panel. Also some paint matching/panel blends will look different under different kinds of lighting.

9. 8thsin

8thsin Rookie

Aug 17, 2004
    I am going to get the paint matched in Houston. Cant wait.

Thanks again