Air Filter for 328 | FerrariChat

Air Filter for 328

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by scott1967, Aug 14, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I am sure that this subject has discussed numerous times, but I new and can not find anything in the archieves. I just recently purchased a 1986 328 GTS and want to replace the air filter. Please provide comments regarding your thoughts concerning the best available air filter. Thanks.

Scott

2. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That may be:
    UFI air filter #3086700 [Ferrari part #132626]
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/partsandservice/Carl_Rose/Ferrari%20328%20Airbox.htm

Do not take my word for it.

Wait for knowledgable opinions - not only to verify if this is correct for your ride, but also to lead you astray to K&N Oil Filter land...

Bear in mind this is likely the "slowest" weekend on F-Chat, as many members are in Monterey, CA for a slice of Ferrari Heaven.

3. chaa

chaa F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2003
    I remember the discusion on 328 K&N filters a good few months ago.There was alot of opinions regarding useing them, alot of opinion was from people who had NOT used them and alot was negative. So i asked the question, who has acualy used one on there 328 so we can have an opinion of expereanced users like myself..........got no responce. Anyway i can say that i had a K&N filter on my 328 for about six months before i sold it, i had to have it made by K&N on special order. I found that it free'd up the engine somewhat and reved smoother, its been a while so i cant remember if it felt like it had more power. If i am asked if the K&N filter made a difference in my 328 ...i say "it did". I dont know about other types of filter.

4. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    I had a K&N filter on my last 328 and I had no problems with it. The car felt like it had a crisper throttle response immediately after installing it. There is also a distinct whistle that you hear midway through the rpm range that you don't get with the stock filter. This last thing isn't necessarily good or bad. Just an observation. I'm probably going to fit another filter to the 328 that I just bought as I just added a Tubi exhaust and Hyper-Flow cat.

5. aussie328gts

aussie328gts Rookie

Jul 5, 2004
    Ive also got a 1986 328 GTS and recently installed a K&N air filter and have noticed a slight increase in power esp. above 4k rpm. Im now also thinking to bore my throttle body from 65mm to 70mm. Aparently this will increase air flow by 20%. I ordered my K&N from sodacoms.com, The K&N part no. is 33-2518. Hope this helps...

6. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Some dyno tests our group showed the K&N is worth 5-10 RWHP on a 328. Given that the K-jet injection is pretty basic, additional air flow=additional fuel=additional power up to the limits of the K-jet. That's the reasoning behind the 70mm throttle body mod also.

7. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks for all the replies. The K&N option sounds interesting and I consider replacing at some time in the future, but for the time being I would just like to replace the original air filter. Are there any alternative filters other than the original Ferrari part?

Thanks.

8. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I had issues with K&N with my BMW....where they do not filter as much and 'guck' up the mass air flow sensor.

Yes they DO let more air through.

The question remains whether the air it lets through is air you would want in your engine. Based on my experiances with it, I do not, and rather would change a paper filter more often.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Yes, there are a couple of different parts that fit a 308/328.
    Both are available from AutoZone. Most likely also from PepBoys, etc. They're modestly priced.

Search the Old FerrariChat archives for 'Air Filter' and 'AutoZone' or 'Auto Zone'.

The one I posted (& prefer) had a secondary ~1/2" thick foam element on the back of the filter. You have to trim off about 3" of the foam from one end so that it will clear the sloping bottom of the air box.

Steven R. Rochelin also posted the p/n for a filter that seems to be an exact replacement.

Also,

10. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Is that the same one that fits a Volvo 240?

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    In the Midwest,you can also order a K&N Filter (for 308/328) from any "Murray's Auto Parts". They still stock 'em, Under $40.00

12. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
  13. scott1967

scott1967 Karting

Jul 12, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    thanks for all the assistance. I will have to make a run to the local auto parts store.

Scott

14. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    The UFI air filter is about $25 from T. Rutlands. I just got one in the mail today, with a load of other parts. FWIW

15. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I have used K&N filters in most of my cars and motorcyles for years. However, I did have to remove them from my BMW M5 as the filter oil caused problems with the mass air flow sensor. I still have them in my BB512i and Harley and they work great. I did have to increase the jetting in my Harley and richen the mixture in my Boxer due to the incresed air flow from the K&Ns. Has anyone tried the new Air Hog filters from Fram. Look at www.framairhog.com to see if they make one for a 328.

16. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    i use the $5 filter and change it out every 2k miles or so. Hey, for $5 it keeps the air reaching to the engine CLEAN and happy. Extended period or 're-usable' air filters scare me! Do not want dirt and whatnot reaching MY intake due to using a foam air filter, but hey it is your car so do with it as you so choose for 5 whole whopping, staggering, teeth rattling, mind numbing HP.

17. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Scott1967, the K&N is an alternative drop-in filter...no modifications required...just remove the old OEM filter and replace it with the K&N. They do allow a lot more airflow and I had to riched the mixture of my Boxer FI after changing to K&Ns. enjoythemusic, neither the K&N nor the AirHog are foam filters. They are both made of cotton and filter better than paper OEM type filters as long as properly cleaned/re-oiled . Ferrari filters are easy to get to so cleaning/re-oiling the filter every few thousand miles is no big deal. Plus, since most Ferraris rarely get driven on dirt roads or extremly dusty conditions, it is not necessary to clean/re-re-oil them that often anyway.

18. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ahhhh, so THAT is my situation. i DO INDEED drive in less than prestine conditions at times. Rain, dirty road, the winter...

Drive it like you stole it :)