Inherited: 1961 Ferrari 250? | FerrariChat

Inherited: 1961 Ferrari 250?

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Sh8kr, Feb 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sh8kr

Sh8kr Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    My wife inherited a 1961 250 Ferrari, VIN can someone please help me with the model? Also I understand this car was in the 1961 world's fair if this help's,for those who knew the previous owner, he passed away May,2003.
    Thanks for any& all help

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What's the VIN/SN? Actually just need the last 5 digits. You'll learn more about the car within a couple days than you probably wanted to.

3. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    You should post this in the main section.... or in the vintage section. Also, post either the VIN number or a pic of the car. Either way you will have an answer within minutes as to what model your car is and how much it may be worth.... heck you may have offers as well!

It could be a 250GTE and if complete but needing restoration its worth $25K. Then again.... it could be a 250GT SWB alloy competition coupe worth $2 million.....

Terry

4. Sh8kr

Sh8kr Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    This all the info I have for now, We have to travel to Michigan to pick up the car. VIN is 21696T

5. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Sounds like you hit a gold mine! I hope you have the means to restore whatever it is as it won't be cheap. If you decide to sell it be sure to post details here and I'm sure the group will give you a good idea of the value. Post pictures PLEASE!!! I'm sure I'm not the only one who's really curious!

Ken

6. Sh8kr

Sh8kr Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    Yes we can afford the restoration since 80% is complete, all that is required is to paint and re-assemble. All else is complete and waiting for some TLC

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

The VIN number you posted doesn't look correct. 250 Series cars are 4 digits, and the letter is confusing!

8. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Maybe 2169GT? My little book says that number fits a 250GTE 2+2 Pininfarina Coupe.

9. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Most probably 2169GT - in the range of 250GTE series 1 cars 1960-1

10. jmillard308

jmillard308 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 29, 2003
    Perth West Oz
    Full Name:
    John Millard
    Goddamm! Beat me by a minute!

11. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Now that looks correct!
    GT , of course!!!!

12. richard_wallace

richard_wallace Formula 3

Feb 6, 2004
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Richard Wallace
    That would be a 1961 250GTE 2+2 - would actually be an early 61 (first year of production) Series 1. I just sold one as a matter of fact - fully restored for 52K. Mine was 1961 S1 sn/2895GT.

Unrestored as previously posted are in the 20's to 30's - there have been about 4 over the past 2 years listed and sold in the FML average price around 42K. If you want a great summary of the car - or any F-Cars - QV500.com has a nice summary of production, differences in model years, etc.

Not a bad F-car for Free :)

13. Sh8kr

Sh8kr Rookie

Feb 11, 2004
    Thanks for all the info. I'm sure that DMV probably made a typo when they titled the car. Since I haven't seen the car, I'm handicapped for add'l info and Pics. We have been told by owner that this car was indeed in the 61' World's Fair and that Ferrari Himself owned the car and drove it for 6 months. I haven't been able to locate the documentation that David said he had to support this, but maybe one the more Ferrari educated people can direct me to more resources if they know of any.

14. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Scroll to post #6 right here on dear old F-Chat.
    At birth, 2169GT was Rosso rubino MM16119/naturale VM3218
    The MM and VM letter/number codes refer to colors. According to F-Chat's very own kare, 2169GT is the first production 250GTE, after 5 prototypes.
    Offsite, on this page of barchetta.cc, note there is no mention of the 1st (1287GT) prototype kare refers to, and that the 5th (2043 GT) is apparently the 1st in production.
    But, you'll no doubt notice 2043GT is a bit ahead of the full-bore production run - which started with what is your bride's 2169GT, then production went like gangbusters.

Somewhat disappointingly, 2043GT was the Paris Show Car

What happened to that first prototype?
    1287GT was Enzo Ferrari's.

You can take barchetta.cc at face value, as there are occasional errors, even omissions, as evidenced by no details presented on the 2169GT. No matter how you take this, you can take great solace in the fact that this, as far as kare and I. now, are concerned was #1 on the production end. That means Mr. Big himself laid eyes on that puppy, coming and going & maybe even took it for a spin. After all, it was his company.

disclaimer: I ain't even close to being an expert on these matters. I merely investigate & deduce. Be patient, as the guys with the most knowledge and resources have yet to see this thread. After all, it's only been @9 hours since the thread was started.

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    So maybe (?) this is the exact car, as pictured in Automobile Year #8, 1960-61, page 105. I don't know the difference between the various "rosso" shades, but this is obviously a very early example and was used for publicity purposes, could have been sent to an auto show or World's Fair, or driven by Ferrari himself????

16. Skelter

Skelter Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
  17. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Any new information on this one? When will you be picking the car up?

18. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    from Raab on 2169GT:
    I hear what you're saying, Wax, about 2043 being the 1960 Paris show car - however Raab also has "Paris-60" by 2169GT.
    Pininfarina build # 39705.

19. kare

kare F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Nov 11, 2003
    Only one GT/E seems to appear in photos taken in Paris. This car seems to be 2043GT as reported to have been destined to Paris Salon. The b/w-photos also show a shade that could very well be grey blue metallic (as listed for 2043GT by Pininfarina).

Meanwhile both 1895GT and 2169GT were rubine red with tan interior, I think 1895GT had side repeaters located low on front fenders and no fender vents (to start with) menwhile 2169GT should by all means have standard production style side repeaters and normal side vents pierced on a separate panel then attached to front fenders (at least it's sister car 2171GT also started on 23/08/60 have these features). It is commonly known that 1903GT (the white car shown in advertising pictures) later received fender vents, which were pierced directly through front fenders. I wouldn't be surpriced to find out that 1895GT also received the same treat. This together with 1895GT having been reported to have appeared on some publicity photos suggest that the car shown in the color picture is 1895GT. It also looks like the fender vents are pierced directly into front fenders, but it is impossible to be sure of this.

2169GT isn't listed among cars destined to motor shows, but it is indeed listed as going to Enzo Ferrari himself. There are many photos of 1903GT (white car) with plates "MO 54083". Confusingly there are also pictures of "MO 54083" taken in spring 1961 and at this time the car appears to be of medium color - quite exactly what I'd expect a rubine red car to look like. Meanwhile it is possible that 1903GT had been repainted (why so soon?) it is also possible that the plates had been (illegally) transferred to 2169GT.

I would very much like to see photos of 2169GT and hear every piece of history that can be traced (this car has been lost forever!). It is not worth much money on the market but it is a very early car with a very special first owner and deserves to be restored with all original features + original exterior and interior colors. Some of us appreciate this kind of cars much beyond their face value.

Best wishes, Kare

20. Yquem

Yquem Formula 3

Dec 2, 2003
    BELGIO
    Full Name:
    JR
    This is interesting.
    So, did you see the car already?

Joren REMANS

21. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.

This IS very interesting. Any updates? Wher in Michigan are you picking up? If I can be of assistance let me know, I roam the south west quarter of the state pretty frequently.

22. olinde

olinde Karting

Mar 23, 2004
    BUMP!

23. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
  24. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    Good to see it wasn't cut to be at TR or GTO...