TDM @ MSR | FerrariChat

TDM @ MSR

Discussion in 'Texas' started by lonnierad, Aug 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
    #1 lonnierad, Aug 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
    #2 lonnierad, Aug 15, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    great stuff. I was driving by yesterday, but due to family issues, I couldn't drop by. perhaps next time.

4. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Oh crap. Was that yesterday?!

:(

5. TigerAce

TigerAce Formula 3

May 29, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Yoshi Ace
    Yea, Will. I, too, totally forgot & did school thingy for kids Saturday. Then went to Fry's to buy MacG5, w/ new 30" screen they just released, & Power Book. Then found G5 was defects, went again to exchange, then later went to the store again to buy some softwares & cables. Took 4 hours transferring data, do some hardware upgrades, & installing all softwares.

Being MSR was much, much better way to spend Saturday, especially after not making it to Pebble Beach!

6. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    The 360 & Gallardo were both Dallas guys, I think. I was there with a freshly broken in GT3, and had a great time. The TDM open track time was a little short with just two lead/follow sessions during the member time before 5pm, then some open track time after the member day was over at 5.
    I did get to run an additional four 30 min member sessions during the day, so I got quite a bit of seat time in the GT3 which is what I really wanted. Awesome car.
    Mark McKenzie

7. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
  8. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
  9. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob

I do remember you passing me a time or two. I was in the white 911 with the duck tail. What kind of lap times were you running? I was trying to heat cycle new tires and work on a set-up problem so it felt like I was crawling out there.

10. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
    Frank in his kart was running 1m15s average time. Curious what the times are for the regular cars.

Lonnie

11. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Karts are actually quicker than passenger cars around MSR. My 911 runs a 1:28 with my instuctor driving it (my best times are several seconds slower). I think his time in his own 993 is around 1:24. Mark M. who was out Saturday has run a 1:20 in his 996 Turbo, though I think he was only running 1:24 on Saturday. Rex Bush runs a 1:20 in his GT3.

12. lonnierad

lonnierad Guest

Jul 20, 2004
    Carrollton, TX
    Full Name:
    Lonnie Radford
    Wow! Did not realize there is that much of difference in times. Apparently there are also 250 karts that are faster than Frank's 125 he ran with...

Lonnie

13. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I didn’t bring my Hotlap, but I did borrow a transponder for two sessions and ran a 1:26.2 in the second time out. I think I was going a little quicker as I got more comfortable with the car later in the day during the TDM sessions.

Interesting that I’ve been pushing my Factory Five Cobra with Hoosier’s for almost five years to get under 1:25, and I was within a little over a second on street tires in the GT3 after just one session. It’s going to be hard to go back to the prehistoric Cobra, the real temptation is to put some Hoosiers on the GT3…..

Mark in the black Turbo looked faster than 1:24 as he was going by me!!

Mark McKenzie

14. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Glad you guys had fun

I was not there as I and what seems to be half of texas was out in Cali at Pebble Beach.

OH MY

But I will be in attendance for the next one.

15. gdv001

gdv001 Rookie

Aug 16, 2004
    I was driving the Silver Gallardo at MSR. Mark blew by me as if I was standing still. No doubt because he is a significantly better and more experienced track driver than I am. This was my second time at MSR or at any track for that matter and my first open (i.e., non-lead and follow) session. It was a blast.

Thanks for posting the pictures. If you have any more of my car, I would appreciate seeing them too.

Mark are you going to the October 30th TDM at MSR event?

GDV

16. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Thanks for the pics Lonnie.
    Unless you're name is Schumacher, there's always somebody faster. The other Mark M in the Black 996TT w/Hoosiers came up on me so quickly in my first sessions that it felt like I was crawling.
    I may try to go back in October. It was a nice event and turned out to be a good way to get some track time, without much hassle.
    Great bunch of people, and I'd certainly recommend the event to anyone.
    Mark McKenzie

17. jakermc

jakermc Formula 3
    Owner

Jan 17, 2004
    Palm Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Yes, Mark M in the Turbo is fast! I usually see him coming up behind me in my mirrors, loose sight of him for a second or two in the turns (due to the angle), then next thing I know his bumper is nearly kissing mine. The sight of the big intakes on the Turbo front bumper, the black color, and shear speed just make him look so menacing out there. I can't get my arm out the window fast enough to give him a passing signal! Scary thing is he has ordered a GT3 that is being sent to Germany for some serious performance modifications. Can't imagine how fast he will be when that arrives.

I may head out there again this weekend and take my 355 out for the first time. My 911 continued to handle funny through all three sessions I ran so I think I am going to need to take a few things apart and investigate before it goes out again. If the weather holds up, I think I'll finally get the opportunity to properly break in the Ferrari. :)

18. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

The most fun, precise car I have ever driven is a GT3, there at MSR several weeks ago. Doesn't need more power, IMO, and I would take it over a TT anyday...