Do you wanna RACE your Ferrari Challenge? - details! | FerrariChat

Do you wanna RACE your Ferrari Challenge? - details!

Discussion in 'Challenge/GT Cars/Track' started by BigHead, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
  2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Dennis,

This was discussed back in spring of 03 with the Ferrari Owners Club. They were trying to do a deal at the same venue for a 355/348 Challenge race. The sticking point was "who" qualified for the race (license requirements). Some people wanted only racers with a real license, others thought anyone should be able to participate.

I am not sure what became of the idea. Personally I would not want to race with anyone that didn't have a regional license of some type, even a flimsy Grand Am license which I am told you can get at any Seven-Eleven :)

At a minimum you should have a SCCA regional, NASA regional or some other type. Simply doing a Skippy School or some track days is a dangerous proposition.

Hey, if Charlie wants to add some history to the car I will be happy to race the old #23 for a victory (HINT HINT).

Is this going to be real racing? passing in corners, no point by's required, rolling starts, and a Rolex for the winner ?

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod (who still misses his old Challenge car, but knows it's in good hands)
    www.flatoutracing.net

3. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    It's real racing. It's as if the SCCA decided to create a class just for Ferraris, for the weekend. The car & driver would have to pass scrutineering. You're right, the big issue is the licensing. If one mandates that only those serious racers holding "real" licenses are allowed, then you'd DQ a lot of people who'd otherwise love to do it. I don't think that it's open to anyone who just took a 3-day Skippy school; it would be a combination of racing school and track time. Up here in the Northeast at least, there are a couple of dozen Challenge car drivers who do not hold racing licenses (AFAIK) but who are, IMHO, fast enough and skilled enough to participate in a race. Especially as the attitude towards this thing is that it's just for fun - no points, no championship, etc. Will there be crazy, overly-competitive ba$tards? Probably, but most of us will be happy enough to just point them by and get on with our fun.... :)

vty,

--Dennis