"Who's the guy driving that 355 Challenge with FerrariChat on the side?" | FerrariChat

"Who's the guy driving that 355 Challenge with FerrariChat on the side?"

Discussion in '348/355' started by BigHead, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Chatted with some friends who are in Monterey for the whole Pebble Beach/Historics/FCA National thing. A few of them are driving at Laguna Seca as part of the National Meet.

One of my best friends, who runs a Ferrari shop outside of Boston (and has what may be the nicest 355 Challenge in the world), asked me on the phone today whether I knew who drove a 355 Challenge with "FerrariChat" on the side.

"Is it silver? With Red and Green racing stripes?"

"Yeah, that's the one. Who's the driver?"

"That's probably Rob Lay, the founder of FChat. Sounds like his car."

"Impressive. During our first sessions yesterday, he was pretty dang quick in that thing. Is this his first time at Laguna Seca?"

"Dunno, but he used to race Mazdas, and I know he's supposed to be quick."

"Well, he was one of the fastest cars in his group...."

So, Rob (assuming that it was you driving), congrats!

vty,

--Dennis

2. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    way to go, rob

3. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

I have been on track with Rob. He is a VERY talented driver.

4. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    I saw him at Laguna after lunch during the driving school day yesterday and noticed in the expert group Rob was one of may be a couple of drivers who did not brake before turn one coming through the straight on top of the hill. Coming through the straight at 140MPH and clearing the hill, you feel the car is weightless. That shows how confident he is about the car and his ability especially someone who was driving the track for the first time. Good job, I am sure he was enjoying himself.

5. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Rob is currently out buying a new crash helmet ... the old one is suddenly too small ;) :D :D ;)

Seriously good job Rob!

Pete

6. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Rob was FLYING at the track. Pleasure watching him drive :)

7. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    That looks like so much fun!

8. TheScarletStang

TheScarletStang Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2004
    Irvine, California
    Full Name:
    Sean Salter
    wow what a car Rob! great seeing it at the track!

9. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Yes, coming over the hill is quite a thrill. I've learned to go into Turn 1 at Texas World Speedway flat, so this is a similar ("suck them up") feeling. However, it is quite an additional thrill to have that weightlessness a brief second and be able to pick your nose with both hands if wanted. :)

I have much to learn still, Monday was my first time on the track and I never even got an instructor at the school, but I've watched a few videos and studied the lines.

As you may have heard from the Monterey Pics thread I can no longer say that "the 355 Challenge is impossible to spin." I lost some talent exiting two and got a good quick 360 view of that turn. The stands between 3 and 4 were full too from everyone eating lunch on the FCA Rally. Embarrassing, but hey, I'm here to entertain. Mistake won't happen again. If I only spin once every 18 months as hard as I drive that thing, then I guess all is OK.

I still hope to find 3-4 seconds a lap today and tomorrow. We'll see if I can find God in a few corners. Videos will be posted after I get back, a few highlights just from Monday...

"the spin"
    Passing the F50 GT1 (Art wasn't pushing it)
    Passing traffic with a 360 GT (he was much faster, but I hope I can play a little today and tomorrow)
    Getting ready to pass a yellow F50 and he spins it coming out of 11.
    Having a 166 on the track at same time (if I post a Monday race lap, you'll see the 166 several times - glad to see it out).
    Passing 275's.
    Passing several 360 CS's (man they can pull hard down the straights)