early Mangusta wanted, please | FerrariChat

early Mangusta wanted, please

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by jm3, Aug 10, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #1 jm3, Aug 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have decided I need the car that I have loved since I was a little kid.
    I am looking for a 4 headlight car, in decent condition. Like Ferraris, I do hope to find the big bux restoration at a fire sale, but I am also realistic.

I am aware of the orange one on ebay, and the one from Belgium, and I have just missed buying the gray one in Oregon (I was actually en route on I-5 when I was told the car had just been sold).
    I think the yellow P.I.M. one is overpriced as is the silver one in Hemmings. The Red Bourdinet car is just plain ugly.

Is there any Mangusta sitting somewhere that needs a new home? Maybe not advertised.....

Please PM me, or my email is [email protected].
    finders fee will be 1 bottle of Lytton Springs (Ridge) Zinfandel

Thanks, Jay
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
    You just mentioned 1.5% of all the Mangustas ever built in one sentence. Find the other 98.5% cars built, assuming that none are totaled or parted out and you have a 1 in 396 chance of finding it worldwide.
    God luck. I have searched at times but purchased a Pantera instead a few years back becaus of limited choice. Still would love to try a Mangusta someday. Have you posted your question to PI forum or http://realbig.com/detomaso/ ?

3. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I know, I was thinking that when I was typing. Now, after 3 days, you cannot believe how many have come out of the woodwork. Extrapolating the info I have now, I believe 65% of all Mangustas are in milk crates and boxes, awaiting "restoration"!

Thanks, gentlemen, Jay.

4. PaulC

PaulC Formula 3

Feb 11, 2003
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Silver ext, black interior. The car is absolutely perfect. He also has a Lamborghini Espada. He is getting older, 70ish. I will ask him if he wants to part with it. He does not really drive it but is constantly tuning and polishing it.

5. steveirl

steveirl Formula 3

Dec 29, 2003
    ireland
    Full Name:
    steve
    Now you have good taste! The Mangusta is just plain beautiful, but not the best drive if its in original condition, a friend of mine in the UK has just bought one from California which is in need of a rebuild, it was the only way he could really afford one as prices have risen rapidly over the last two years, good luck in your search which may prove difficult but dont give up.
    Steve

6. Doug

Doug Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Doug
  7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Here's an early 4-headlight model. Hey, it's a friggin' CHICK MAGNET!

8. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    It's the best looking DE Tomaso, period....

9. GhostRider

GhostRider Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2002
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I put the Mangusta right up there, though behind it, with the Miura in pure beauty.

10. jgs

jgs Rookie

Aug 6, 2004
    i might have a mangusta in pretty good shape for sale.The guy who was supposed to buy it never came up with all the money, so it looks like i am taking it back. just get in touch if you are interested at [email protected]. i live in norway by the way:)

11. Yvar

Yvar Rookie

Sep 3, 2004
    Very interested to learn about any Mangusta that has come out of the woodwork as you say, looking for a restorable example, as long as it's complete and original, appreciate it if you could share your findings

12. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
  13. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Now THAT'S funny! A car that was, shall we say, "flexible" when it was new, now possibly a bit more flexible? Does it come complete with a whisk broom to sweep up the pieces? Yikes.

14. Ron328

Ron328 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 10, 2003
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Here's one at Dupont registry. May it is ovepriced(?) but I agree the Mangusta is very visually appealing. If you are unable to access below, just go to their website.

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=166837&sessionkey={07D45784-D951-4FD7-860A-103FE772D837}

Ron

15. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
  16. SkizoACE

SkizoACE Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2004
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Thomas
  17. Dgale

Dgale Rookie

Sep 15, 2004
    Hey everyone, I'm the guy who ended up buying the Silver 'Goose' in Oregon before Jay could get up there to see it. Sorry again about that Jay! :)

I made the trip to pick-up the car and parts last weekend - and boy were there a lot of parts! I literally filled my 24' enclosed trailer with boxes and loose parts! Needless to say, I definitely haven't had time go through them!

The car is beautiful! The paint is flawless, and the condition of the car was really impressive. It has 22K miles on it, and was sitting in a garage in Sacramento from 1974 to 2001. There's no sign of any heat or UV damage to the guages or any of the rubber, etc. The windshield seal was still as soft and pliable as a new one! The leather interior was also in very good original condition, and not dried and cracking like I expected it would be. So far, I'm very pleased with the purchase.

The car also came with a time capsule of documentation. Original Bill of Sale, magazine articles, pictures, and even a DeTomaso original 100+ page hand drafted parts manual in Italian! Pretty neat!

However, one thing I immediately noticed was missing, was one of the surround/mouldings around the rear engine hatch window opening.(the inside moulding) It's a picture frame looking piece made of aluminum and covered in black leather. The restorer and the former owner are looking for it, but I fear that it may end up 'missing' as the result of two moves of the car and all the parts. I hope more pieces don't turn up missing!

That said, if anyone has any knowledge of anyone with Goose parts, I will likely need a few small pieces during the restoration! Please send any info you have for parts. In the case of the surround, I could have one made if I knew who to take the other original piece to. Any suggestions?

Looking forward to putting her back together and bringing her to the Concourso Italiano in a year or two!

Doug Gale
    Granite Bay, Calif.
    [email protected]

18. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    I am wondering if the gold goose that Jeff posted could
    possibly be my car, which was originally gold. I have
    owned mine for 20 years but it is sadly now in the "crates
    and milkboxs" stage. I am looking forward to spending
    the time to restore it but I may have to wait for life
    to slow down a bit.

19. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Dave: The picture of the gold Mangusta in my earlier post came from the 1968 World Car Catalog. Here is the other picture from the same book. It gives the impression that this particular car was probably one of the prototypes, so I would guess that it isn't your car. How common was the gold color on Mangustas?

20. dwil

dwil Karting

Nov 8, 2003
    ozarks
    Full Name:
    Dave Wilson
    Thanks for the picture, Jeff. That car has the weber downdraft carb
    setup but my car just has a huge doublepump holley on it. Gold may
    have been a popular color. There just doesn't seem to be much
    documentation to early detomaso production.

21. AndruetBiche

AndruetBiche Formula Junior

Oct 7, 2006
    #24 AndruetBiche, Jan 9, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. Horsefly

Horsefly F1 Veteran

May 14, 2002
    4 YEARS later and this thread gets a bump to the top. (Must be some kind of F-chat record.)