Please Help!! Buying 360 Modena | FerrariChat

Please Help!! Buying 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by SlickMurphy, Aug 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SlickMurphy

SlickMurphy Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    Essex
    Full Name:
    David
    Hi guys,

I am new to this board and the Ferrari world in general. I am currently seeking to purchase a 1999-2001 360 Berlinetta and I have some questions?

I have heard prices ranging from $1,500-$7,000 for timing belt changes, which one is more accurate? Any independent garages in Connecticut?

I want to drive this car 10k year for 2-3 years. What will this do to the value of the car? I will also drive the car in the RAIN and with my dog in the front seat and through puddles, etc... My decision is between a 2004 Porsche 996 X50 and a Modena.

F1 or stick tranny, I have heard the F1's burn out quicker?

Should I get the PowerCube Ferrari warranty? Bumber to bumber for one year for $8,000 US$.

What options look nice and are nice to have?

What color?

WILL THIS CAR BE RELIABLE?? My local dealer is not very close to me.

How flexible will my dealer be on an asking price of $135,000 for an 00' with 11k miles?

What do you guys pay for insurance? My quote was $1000.00/year?

Can i reliably track this car 4-6 times per year?

What are the common problems with the 360? Are any years better than others?

Thanks Guys

2. JPF

JPF Formula Junior

Sep 11, 2003
    NY
    Full Name:
    Joshua
    Get the Porsche.

3. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
  4. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I recommend you search the archives...there are answers out there already for most everything you've asked.

Then go buy your Porsche.

5. VROOM!!!

VROOM!!! Formula 3

Feb 11, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Armen
    The Porsche is more of the daily driver IMO. My neighbor has a 996 Turbo with the x50 package for his daily driver and i dont think he has ever had a problem with his. Great car. I wouldnt put my dog in ANY car, forget about a Ferrari, but my dog is pretty huge. Ya get the Porsche. Brand new ones go for, what $150-$160 grand?

6. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Why would you want a 360 when you can get a 550 for less and get the Ferrari 12 cylinder experience ? Plus, IMHO the 550 looks MUCH BETTER than the 360. The 550 will make a fine daily driver, especially for the few miles per year you indicate you will drive it. While a Porsche is a fine car, I have had two, they ain't a Ferrari!

7. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    DUDE , jUsT Go gEt tHe PorsChE ALReAdy , yOu KnOw YoU wanT to...

8. paulie_b

paulie_b F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

Jan 13, 2003
    Jupiter, FL
    Full Name:
    Paul Bianco
    another word to the wise........if the car you are seeking falls within the VIN #'s 114015 - 123399 make sure the cam variators are done also. this is a big topic on FChat and has attracted ALOT of attention. check the threads. if the work was never done you should be able to get it done by a dealer for "almost" free. even thought this is a "general recall' item it is NOT a subject that Ferrari is making public. you can draw your own conclusion. check the threads for more details.

9. Kram

Kram Formula Junior

Jul 3, 2004
    Park bench, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Let’s see..... You want to track day it, carry the dog, have no local dealer, drive in the rain through mud..... Gee, how about Sherman tank? You’ll win at the track!
    Seriously, don't get a 360.
    Kram

10. Kewpie

Kewpie Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2004
    canada
    Full Name:
    !
  11. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #11 watt, Aug 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    you sound new to sportscars. with a 135 budget and your needs, a 02-03 x50 is a good way to go:

- you need a warranty espec. on a 360
    -you can save 20k with a low mile x50, there is no value to an 04, they depreciate like rox.

both cars are dog transparent -- i can't believe the F guyz think it's only OK to carry dogz in P cars.... they work fine in 360's, but there is only room for one, while P's allow 2 big dogs comfortably. since it sounds like you only have one dog a 360 works..

i hope my CS works in the rain but wont find out until winter... these comments are ominous!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. nsxct31

nsxct31 Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    sugar land tx
    Full Name:
    Charles Sukhee
    buy the 360 and do a 36 month lease on the porsche.. when you cant choose one ..buy both ..heheh

13. ART360

ART360 Guest

You should be able to get the car for about 120k. I'd get the Ferrari, and expect substantial depreciation, say at least 30k if you drive it another 20k. That's about what you'll lose on the Porshe, but you'll be driving a Modena.

the 30k service is quite a bit lower on the 360 than the earlier cars because they don't have to remove the engine. The 360s are quite reliable, and you should be able to drive it without many problems. Get the Ferrari.

Art

14. Tomf-1

Tomf-1 F1 Rookie

Jan 17, 2004
    Leawood KS/ South FL
    Full Name:
    Thomas
    I just bought a lambo diablo roadster so my freshly serviced 360 is currently on the mkt.

all included in the major are timing and accessory belts, service campaign for timing variator and extensions, fluids, plugs, waterpump rebuilt, new clutch, new brakes, new bearings, new seals....hell, practically a new engine).

you won't pay anywhere near the 130' or 120' mark....if you are interested, pm me and i will point you toward the right direction.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Hey congrats and sad to see you defect to the dark side... Labo roadster, a timeless piece of art. Cheers!

16. JBale

JBale Rookie

Aug 14, 2004
    The 996TT is a great car for a daily.

The 360 is not a daily driver, I've found out the hard way. As for a dog? unless its a yorkie then I'd say hell no, but I have pitbulls so they arent going anywhere near the 360 :)

In the rain the car is a little scary at times, unless you drive carefully, where as the 996TT sticks on basically anything, including snow (AWD).

17. Bianco

Bianco Formula Junior

Dec 29, 2003
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Although the Porsche is more daily driver than the 360, the Modena is more reliable - especially if you plan to track it. Watercooled 996 engines are NOT reliable especially if you like get anywhere close to redline on the track. A friend of mine just blew his 996 engine - TWICE - in 6 months. Service will cost you just as much on the 996 as on the 360 depending on the mechanics in your area, especially since you'll be taking the 2004 996 back to the dealer each time. If you track the Porsche, you will lose your warranty - period! My buddy was out of pocket TWICE for his blown engines. The Porsche dealer will research whether you tracked it, and will refuse to submit anything to the factory under warranty. Porsche does not differentiate between DE and racing, and they're refusing any warranty on any car that has ever been tracked. GET THE MODENA!

18. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    The 360 will hold its value much better than the Porsche.
    There is a Ferrari mechanic in New Milford, Sport Auto.
    Not sure how much work they do on newer models like 360's. Not sure if they have all the codes for SD-2. Call them before to find out.

19. Serpent Driver

Serpent Driver Formula Junior

Jul 4, 2004
    Norway
    Please don't buy a Ferrari 360 Modena if you are going to drive it rain, mud, with your dog in it... Get a Porsche, they ain't as special as a Ferrari, so drive it in the rain if you want to. But please don't do that to a Ferrari!!

20. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    What's wrong with driving a Ferrari in the rain? It won't melt.

21. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    At 10000 miles per year? Yeah right!

Most of the Ferrari crowd thinks anything over 1500 miles per year is "excessive". And of course, they mustn't be driven in the rain or get any paint chips on the front bumper...

If you drive your Ferrari like you would your Porsche, you'll get hammered (severely) at resale. If this bothers you at all, get the Porsche.

btw, if someone tells you that Ferraris are more reliable than Porsches, ask about F1 clutches and other system components to get the conversation going!

22. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    what a classic. i say:

Buy a Porsche, get hammered on resale no matter how you drive it.

23. Speed Racerette

Speed Racerette Formula 3

May 24, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    She wants Revenge
    I agree. It's pouring down today in Dallas and I drove mine work. She was due for a wash anyway.

24. 911Fan

911Fan Formula 3

Apr 15, 2004
    Southern California
    Sadly this has been true for the 996 thanks to overproduction!

But the much ballyhooed high resale value of Ferraris is only true if you don't drive them (hence the garage queen syndrome). Resale value is extremely mileage sensitive. This guy is planning to drive 10000 miles per year. Through rain and mud. With a dog.

25. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    #25 watt, Aug 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

hey stop criticising the dog already, these are 2 of my best F friends, and it all washes off :)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login