Ferrari versus Corvette | FerrariChat

Ferrari versus Corvette

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Bart, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    In cars, the fastest class is GTS for real cars on the road. The Corvette has been winning the GTS almost as long as Ferrari has been winning Formula One. The other exotics cannot come close. Of course, Porsche races in a slower class.

Will Ferrari ever take the GTS series seriously?

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    Oh Bart, many a sleepless nights I wished Ferrari would try something in addition to F1, a new 333sp (my hands down fave Ferrari), GTS, something, I guess we have to wait.

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    Don't the GTS cars only resemble or are ultra modified versions of road cars?

4. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Yes.

"Our" 550/575's were set to do well if Ferrari wasn't an a$$ to Prodrive. Thank you Ferrari.

5. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Ferrari says they will only offer cars for private teams,owners,etc. but they will not have a factory team outside of F1 period.

6. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    What did Ferrari do wrong in regards to ProDrive?

7. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
  8. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    On anther note... Have you guys seen the ad for the Corvette on NBC for the Olympics? Great ad, almost makes me want the car!

9. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    The Ferrari team did ruin the Corvettes 50th anniversary last year at Le Mans. GTS series is the focus of Corvette racing and F-1 is the focus of Ferrari. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

10. Ilya

Ilya Karting

Jul 14, 2004
    Socal
    Full Name:
    Ilya
    YEAH! The ad is awesome, I love espeically how the little boy and girl look at each other in the air. Excellent ad!

Ilya

11. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    is there anything out there that challenges the Pcars on the grid? or is it just other Pcars?

12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I don't think Ferrari could build a car to compete in this class. I don't think they make enough money to be able to support 2 race teams. Even if they did or could The Corvette would still knock it into next week. You just can't compete with the big boys if they really want to win.

13. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Why would Ferrari stoop that low in the first place? Who cares? A Corvette rattles and squeaks after 1 year of ownership, then the water based paint falls off in year 3 along with the engine and transmission if you are lucky. I could swear they are built with recycled soup cans.

14. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I thought there was a private 360 that is giving the Corvette a run for its money.

15. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    Have you driven a corvette built since 1997? Ferrari is not stooping that low by building the 575 GTC racecar. Chevrolet actually stepped up to compete on that level.

16. detltu

detltu Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Full Name:
    David Taylor
    Its the private Ferrari 575 GTC and 360 GT's and last year the 575s whooped the Corvette on their 50th anniversary.

17. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    i sure hope they start taking GTS seriously. the problem is though they are doing SO well in F1 that they feel they dont need to concentrate on anything else. sad. i like F1, but i also love to watch road-going ferrari's at racing. if they took it more seriously they would dominate imo.

18. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    People thought like this in the 60's as well. Look what Ford did to Ferrari just out of spite...Even the GrandSport Corvette's of the 60's dominated until they were pulled a short time later.

I honestly beleive that Ferrari cannot compete in a market were the teams are backed by some of the largest companies in the world. And with that comes money and lots of it.

Ferrari as a company has chosen to only concentrate on one thing, F1. They could not throw big money into another race team unless they sacrafice some funds from the F1 effort which is somthing they won't do.

19. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    Even if the Corvettes win..........who cares!!!!!!!!!!! They make SO many that one sees them all the time, and most are driven by women!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll just keep my Ferraris.

20. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    This conversation has gotten a bit confused. 360s, 550s, 575s, Corvettes, Porsches... it's making my head spin.

The 360s do not race directly against the Corvettes. Thus they cannot "give them a run for their money." They do race (relatively ineffectively) against the Porsches.

There are 4 classes in American Le Mans series): LMP 1, LMP 2, GTS, and GT

With regard to the cars currently being discussed, here is how they fall into their classes:

GT class: 360s and Porsches
    GTS class: Corvettes, Ferrari 550/575s

In the FIA GT Champsionship, the cars are similarly split into GT and N-GT classes, respectively.

21. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Sorry i can never get my classes straight.

22. Wasabe

Wasabe Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Santa Monica
    Full Name:
    Jennifer
    Rick Doria has a corvette and a F-40...

He should chime in on this...

I'm not a domestic kinda girl. ;)

23. mal

mal Formula Junior

Jan 12, 2004
    Kent
    Don't forget that the Maserati MC12 is basically a rebadged and re-engineered Ferrari Enzo, and that the Maserati Brand is now part of Ferrari. They are planning to enter this car as a works entry into FIA GT and LeMans, as so this will be the closest we will get to a works Ferrari in GTS, providing they sort out the homologation issues

24. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René

25. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    I scrambled my previous post, if it appears, apologies all round.

In F1, Ferrari does compete against major manufacturers: Renault, Honda, Toyota. Even Jaguar, as an arm of Ford.

A previous post made the point that Ferrari are winning each year despite being a team that cannot subsidise F1 racing without the overwhelming input of major sponsors. This is unlike the major motor manufacturs who have the means to race without being so dependent on sponsors.

Ferrari plan very carefully for their racing and several people have pointed out that with so much work going into F1, and being a small company to boot, they probably couldn't manage as well if they spread into other areas of racing.

While it would be exciting to see Ferrari officially enter cars in more street-style racing, it might also upset the quality image they have attained. And we on F-chat are as aware of image as anyone. A substantial part of our comments are about defending Ferrari's status.