FOUND! 308 Door Jamb Switch | FerrariChat

FOUND! 308 Door Jamb Switch

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by enjoythemusic, Aug 17, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes cool dudes, this was the ONLY non-working part on the car and i was peeved. Looked for ages and ages. Anyway, this IS NOT an official Ferrari part, but works GREAT and it easy to install and, get this, is AVAILABLE and costs only $2.75 from http://www.international-auto.com .

Part number 34281000 :
    Door Jamb SW.70-ON 124,ALL X19.
    B-04-D4 - B-04-D1

The first photo is from their website.

Photo two shows how you need to simply bend around the rear flat male piece and then bend it so it points slightly inward.

Installed the switches with the screw facing downward as there is an alignment indent on the white part and i did not want it to gather water.

NOTE: You WILL need to drill out the large hole on the door piece a millimeter or so to fit this slightly larger jamb switch.

NOTE: Naturally you will want to drill a small hole to accommodate the hold-down screw in the door jamb switch as well. Make sure the screw you use is short. i cut a normal screw to a short length using my Dremil.

Hope this helps.

NOTE: Your map light black switch should be in the most forward position. This causes the map light (and no matter the position the round red door lights) to illuminate when you open the door. Also, there IS a delay circuit so that when you close the door the lights will stay on for approximately 15 seconds.

2. 1975gt4don

1975gt4don Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Many congradulations! I know this has been a major PITA for you and I am sure others thank you as well for sharing your source. That's funny, I used to own an X 1/9---a 76, very fun car but too small of an engine. Now driving around the X 1/9's bigger brother :)

Going to have to post some pictures of a small plastic piece for Verrell to fab---the "Z" shaped plastic connecting rod that goes in between the two air diffuser slats on the top of the dash. I just spent $50 for a complete new air diffuser to get the new Z shaped rod, popped it in and now the middle of the 3 diffusers are now correctly working for the first time in over 20 years.

3. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Don't we know it! These PESKY little bits that irk us yet are made of unobtanium!

FYI: i THINK i found an ORIGINAL new old stock 308 emblem for the rear of the car. You know, the '308' emblem that is also made of unobtanium. It is the ONLY emblem that is not brand new on the car now. Hand painted the original and it tuned out ok and all, but i want a new one and think i found one after months and months and months of searching :)

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Well, congratulations! $2.75? Did you laugh and laugh...?

5. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Mwooo-hahahaha :)

i laughed all the way to the bank. FNA and their outrageous prices for 308 parts can kiss my bare tanned butt :)

When first getting the 308 i purchased official Ferrari North America air filters for the cabin heaters. They were something like $10 each and all they are is a cut square of metal screen. i kid you not, $10 for a few inches square of wire mesh. Am beginning to wonder if the Mafia and FNA are one in the same ;-)

Thanks goodness for Ferrari UK :)

6. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Great detective work on the door switch!

BTW,
    Unobtainium Supply has a mold and has been making new 308 emblems for over a year. Available in either black plastic, or can be special ordered in black chrome.

I can also strip & restore an existing emblem with mirror black powdercoating & new white lines. The powdercoating stands up to the sun much better than the original black lacquer does.

7. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Can you likewise restore the "quattrovalve" emblem? And what's your cost and turnaround and/or cost of the new 308 emblems?

(sorry for hijacking the thread...)

8. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    Just the man I wanted to see---can you make me around 5 of these Z shaped connecting rod things that join together the two slats in the air diffusers on the 308's? The GTB's, GTS and GT4's are use the same TYPE with the exception being the "Dino" logo is on the GT4. The z shaped rod is made of plastic, about a inch long with a plastic pin about one eighth of an inch long protruding out at each end of the rod. I will post a picture in here on monday of the part, I just don't have access to a dig. camera right now. I can mail you a part to use as the mold if necessary.

9. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    #9 Verell, Aug 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steven,
    What did you find out about the #31601 switch? It's the one that really looked to be close. [see pic below]

Yes to both. Assuming the QV emblem is also lacquer coated white metal. I believe it is, but haven't tried stripping one.

New QV emblems:

5BC-UUS Emblem, '308' Black Chrome Plated Plastic 308 $ 75.00 (Special Order)
    5B-US Emblem,308 Black Plastic 308 $ 55.00

quattrovalvole emblems would be similarly priced.

I haven't priced restoration, but probably $55-$75 range.
    It'll have about 45min to 1-1/4 hour's labor in it. (strip, polish, powdercoat, hand fill lines.)

When I have an existing mold, I usually need 1-2 weekends to turn an order around, depending on what else is already committed. A new mold usually adds an add'l 1-2 weekends.

Making molds is an art. Sometimes takes several iterations to get a good one.

Chromed parts have to be sent out & typically take an add'l 30 days depending on my supplier's schedule.

I'll need to borrow your master part, sounds pretty straightforward. No chg for the mold provided I own it to make add'l parts.

Hmm,Is the diffuser you pulled the rod out of a Ferrari one?
    If so, I'll trade you the 5 rods for it.

Have been thinking about buying one as a master part.

I'm getting very close to being able to supply just about every interior plastic part for the 308! The diffuser, A/C vents, & shift handle are about the last ones!

Send eMAIL to:
    [email protected]

Yup, we definitely hijacked this thread, sorry Steven.)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

10. CarlH

CarlH Karting

Feb 5, 2004
    MD
    Full Name:
    Carl H.
    Steven -
    When I joined the group and saw your plea for this switch back in Jan (I think), I checked my X1/9 jam switch against my 308 and did not think they would be compatable. Did not have your vision for adaptation!

I have to echo the Fiat is a fun -underpowered car. My problem is that parts are hard to get and usually expensive. I realised that after pouring a large amount of $ into the car for up keep - at the end of the day.....it was still a Fiat. I figured that if I was going to spend the $$ I might as well have a car worth the cost. Thus the Ferrari idea was born. We are spending now!

Now I cant figure out how to get rid of an orignal owner, 81 X1/9. Maybe it's my sales pitch????

11. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Verell, no worries about the thread jack. Called that place 2 days ago about the previously ordered switch in your pic. As you know it has been back ordered for over 6 months and STILL no idea when/if they will ever get more. Frankly, the solution i found works, is available, and costs only $2.75 versus the $9 or so for the part they do not have. i ordered FOUR of the $2.75 hedging my bet one day these new one will fail.

Besides, not like my car would EVER win a concourse with all the (better) aftermarket parts on her. Actually i should enter a concourse one day (with you as the judge) in hopes i get the LOWEST score... and the biggest thrill smile as i drive :)

PS: hope the car was not too loud when i left your home after the party. Kept it under 6.5k. You should hear it at 7.5k :)

12. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Necessity is the Mother Of Invention (or adaptation). Actually the modification is VERY easy. All you need is a drill, two drill bits, one screw, and a pair of pliers.

i know what you mean about at the end of the day... My Honda Del Sol is another love of my life, but as she ages is costing me $$$ to keep going.

Still, i blame the Ferrari for all the shiny new tools i simply 'had to' have. Last week i decided i 'had to' have a proper tool chest. Oh the amount of $$, or should that be $$,$$$$ we lavish on our hobby.

Hobby??? Insanity??? Your call :)

PS: my mom LOVES the look of the old Fiats. Every time she sees one she remarks to my dad she wants one. Mom loves those sexy Italian cars! My folks are stopping by here this weekend, maybe i can convince my dad to get a 308 and then they BOTH will be happy :)

13. 1975gt4don

Nov 5, 2003
    Peoples Rep of CA
    Full Name:
    Smog Exempt
    VERELL: No problem, I will lend you the Z rod. I paid 50 bucks for the brand new diffuser, I was hoping to get a refund on the part after mailing them back the part you used for the mold and the diffuser. I would be happy to trade with you. It is the diffuser with "Dino" embossed on it.
    Yes, you can keep the mold and use it for others.

CARL: I agree, that is why I wanted to get rid of the X1/9. Overall, a poorly constructed car using substandard cooling parts and interior parts in general. Never had a car overheat so fricking much and as requently as the X1/9. Melted the overflow tank twice as the fiberglass couldn't take the heat. Crappy rubber quality on the radiator hoses. But nonetheless, that is the car I learned all of my skills on. Sold the X1/9 a week after buying the GT4.

14. Tifosi1

Tifosi1 Formula 3

Feb 17, 2002
    Pearl River, LA
    Full Name:
    Kelly J. Vince
    I just made my order, enjoythemusic, you are a God. I'm having my door's painted and both switches broke when they took the doors off. I tried for an hour to put them back together with no success and a lot of cursing.
    Thx
    Kelly

15. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Kelly,

ALWAYS glad to help. Like you, tried putting back together the bits of the original part and it was futile. If you have questions on installed the new units feel free to let me know.

16. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I might have been able to save you $2.75 -- of course, it would have cost $6.95 to save it. Radio Shack's "Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant" spray (part no. 64-4315) is great at permanently fixing bad switches. If the switch was intact but not working, this spray would probably fix it -- if the switch was broken into lots of little pieces, then the spray doesn't work as well. My door switch was inoperable for the two years I've had my car -- I just sprayed it yesterday and now it works like new. I've posted about this spray before and I don't think anybody has called my bluff, but it is amazing. This product is very different than CRC or other types of contact cleaner. When you spary it on, you can often hear a mild popping sound -- I think it works better if power is connected when you spray it. It takes several hours for it to take full effect. I did not remove the switch, just sprayed into it around the button. As is typical, it did not have any effect initially, but when I got in the car several hours later, the interior lights came on for the first time ever. This stuff has fixed a Porsche blinker stalk, an electronic dimmer switch, and a remote control -- all of which I was sure were dead but that worked for years after spraying. Unlike most contact cleaners, this has a lubricant built in and I think this is part of why it works so well. In the case of the blinker stalk, regular CRC-type contact cleaners (which didn't fix the problem anyway) removes all of the factory contact lubricant so that, even if they fix the problem, the switch will wear out in a few months due to the lack of lubricant -- the Radio Shack spray with the lubricant it is a permanent fix. Be careful to get the exact part number listed above -- Radio Shack also has a straight contact cleaner (like CRC) that does not work as well. Great find on the switch, but I recommend trying this stuff first if the switch is still in one piece. If I can save just one switch with this message ...

17. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Peter,

Thanks for the lube/contact enhancer trick and GREAT advice!

FYI: i use www.caig.com MCL for all my moving electricals and this solved MANY gremlins on the 308's center console switches. Alas, the door jamb bits were worn out and could not be repaired :( Looked FOREVER for a replacement in MANY places and so now she works fine with these new bits.

18. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Do you have door jamb switches on both sides? My '77 only has them on the drivers side so the interior lights don't come on when I open the passenger door. Only when I open the drivers side.

19. enjoythemusic

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Yes, both sides have the jamb switch.

20. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Now that is strange...is there a hole cut into the forward panel where a switch would normally be? Either way, I would remove the panel (held by two Philips screws) and take a look and see if the wiring is there....

21. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Well it was dark when I looked (no pun intended) but I've washed the car several times and if there were a hole there I'd have asked myself why each time, so No, I don't think there ever was one.

I'll look when I get home to see if it's there. The lights have never come on when I opened the passenger side door so I just assumed that's the "way Ferrari did it"...I mean, there are lots of strange things on these cars. People joke about how "that's what was in the parts bin that day" but I think that in many cases with the earlier cars (pre 1986 328) that it's probably true.

22. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Oh I totally agree. I had a 78 308 GTS, and just during the production in 1978, there were a number of running changes in several details...with little rhyme or reason.

23. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Sure seems to be true for my '82 Euro GTS QV. Front fenders have the round indicators like the GTSi instead of the rectangular ones for QVs. Came to me with an '82 GTBi/GTSi OM altho w/o records I can never be sure if that's what it shipped with. There are a few other injected model items that I can't recall just now.

24. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Amazing what you see when the lights are on. There are TWO switches on the driver side and ONE on the passenger side. I did not take it off to see if it was connected, but I know it does not work properly.

25. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Sean - at the significant risk of sounding like a broken record, I recommend that you try Radio Shack part no 64-4315 "Contact/Control Cleaner & Lubricant" on the passenger side switch (assuming it is connected). No disassembly required, just spray it into the switch around the push button, manually push the button in a few times and then spray one more time. It usually takes a few hours to take full effect. If it doesn't work, I will refund the entire cost of my advice.