Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread... | Page 14 | FerrariChat

Official Monterey 2004 Write-up and Pics Thread...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by rob lay, Aug 11, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    i am just speechless. Incredible how the P4 makes all the other cars look ugly.

2. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Dang, never looked at your profile, Wayne.

Good show!!

3. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    F50GT-1 update
    Just got off the phone.....

it appears to mostly be exterior damage on the GT-1. no susp. damage or tub damage like last year are the inital reports.

Most importantly, the driver is OK.

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    He received special driving instructions when they delivered the car!

Didier Theys, IIRC....must have some memory retention problems......

5. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    From all places spinning at turn 11 is pretty bad. That is the slowest corner of the race track. That means he had to brake real hard to slow down to take the turn, may be he forgot. It just doesn't seem reasonable to hit the wall on the first lap when he can't even seen the green flag yet at that point. I am sure it had nothing to do with the tires unless he ran into the wall at the end of the exit berm where the wall is too close. He may have under estimated his speed for the 2nd gear 90 degree turn and went off straight to the wall... Any ideas if it was at the entry or exit?

6. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Aaaah, yes. I've always said that the 330P4 was the most voluptuous racing car ever built. I said it in 1967 and it's still true today!

7. redhead

redhead F1 Rookie

Dec 26, 2001
    Full Name:
    ~Red~
    Matt....First and foremost...call dan or myself....have some ?'s for you.
    Second thing, from what I have been told, it was on exit of turn 11 and he spun to pit side of the track and went nose into the wall, aka cold tires and a ton of HP. It was on his out lap, so he would have made almost one full lap by then, but this is ALL hersay as of this moment.

Rich

8. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Dave is the smoothest driver I have ever been out with. Of course, this was 5 years ago, and in his green 355 spyder. He even took my wife out on the track @ Laguna (we had the track rented privately for a video game) and my wife came back saying "how come you don't drive as smooth as Dave does" which I'll never live down.

9. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    To Tonyh, since you're the moderator, can you talk to Rob about the situation?. I have pics from the 575 spyder (spy photo from phone cam), cars, celebs... (total about 450+ pics that I catagorize by each day/event). I don't want to post if this thread is not breaking down by day and/or event (see my post on pg#16). Henry

10. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    put those cell phone pics up sonny boy, im practically killing myself to see what it looks like

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    post 575 spyder!!!!!!

12. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Gee aren't you being a little elitist ... what makes your photos any better than anybody else?

This thread is getting heaps of hits and is great. If you want your photos catagorised ... give them titles (ie. use the thread title) and post all similar together ... or host them somewhere else. Remember it is ROB's server and disk space and money!@!

Gee guys some of you are acting like you own Pebble Beach ... not just visited and took a few photos ;)

Pete's saying it like a Kiwi

13. an032nv

an032nv Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2004
    Clovis, California
    Full Name:
    Chris Torosian
    Quoted for truth, put them up in here man, we all want to see them.

14. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Agree 100%. The cars are the cars. It doesn't matter if they were at the Concourso or the track or Pebble or at the Shell station.

15. 4i2fly

4i2fly Formula 3

Apr 16, 2004
    SF, Bay Area
    Henry,

Why don't you start a new thread for the 575 retractable top pictures. The suspense is killing me.

16. htran

htran Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2004
    Tracy(NoCa)/HB(SoCa)
    Full Name:
    P Quach
    For 4i2fly, Be patient grasshopper. Personally it was a letdown, I thought FNA was reveilling a 360 replacement (F420?). I think it look similar to a 550 berchatta. The pho-cam still @ Monterey with my friend. Taking pictures was prohibited, they wacth us like a hawk. He won't be back until tommorow. He still @ Laguna Seca getting his fix on the track. Henry

PS. Have we met @ Santana Row?

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Sad day to see the F50 GT1 get some damage, especially after it just got repaired. I don't know the facts, but from what I heard and saw it was down the track from 11 and got on the gas too hard after shifting to 3rd and it broke loose.

18. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Who was driving it at the time? Art?

19. EVartanian

EVartanian Formula 3

Mar 19, 2002
    Sunny SoCal
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Oh my crap! The F1 and now GT1, the boys in Maranello gonna have their hands full eh?

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I had a great day except for having problems with sound control. They never flagged me Monday, so I thought I was cool for today. First session in only 5 laps before they gave me the meatball. 106 db! So really sucks I lost all that first session time and also sucks my second session was being held back by coasting up between 6 and 7. Still I guess I pushed it too much with 2 laps to go and got flagged again at 103.2.

We tried rigging cans pointing away from sound control as suggested by others, but at RPM's they just ripped off.

Many others having problems too, Chris Parr went 107 within 2 laps, then switched exhausts before the afternoon session. Many cars out there louder than me, but I guess they're better getting off the gas.

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    yes, nice guy, had lunch with him and his wife yesterday at the concours. man, hurting a car is a horrible feeling and I just did it with a $3k Rx7, imagine what he must feel. It's a very bad feeling, but part of the risks we take being on the track.

22. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Great thread!
    Rob,
    You look to be a very good driver! (keep it up!) And your car has to be the nicest F355C I have ever seen.

Thanks everybody for all the pics.

23. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Oh man. I can't believe it got crashed again. I thought it was a joke. Boy o boy are Ferrari gonna be mad. Its taken them a year to fix it. So sad :(

24. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Art, Keith Bluemel and I were all standing on the wall together at the track event at the Dallas meet in 2001 when a 308 spun in front of his car when an IRL or Indy driver was behind the wheel (I can't remember who it was, I've slept since then). Art didn't even flinch.

He'll fix it. Again.

25. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Rob, try what Classic Coach did at Lime Rock two weeks ago. Go get a couple of big cans of beef stew or Chef Boyardee, have a nice meal, wash out the cans, punch some holes in the bottom, then use some big hose clamps to secure to your exhaust. Might hold on better than your soda cans...

HTH!

vty,

--Dennis