Vintage Ferrari racing movie "devils curve" | FerrariChat

Vintage Ferrari racing movie "devils curve"

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SupercarGuru, Mar 20, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    Hey Everyone,

Just got back from Barrett Jackson Palm Beach auction. At a booth i noticed a vintage poster from France that featured a vintage racing movie called "La Curva Del Diavolo" Devils curve, i then searched the internet looking for the film...CANT FIND IT....has anyone seen it?? what does it feature? I love the old vintage cars. Especially the old movies...people had so much class it seemed. lol The leading men all wearing cool old suits, the beautiful female co stars, fast european cars... "A Man and a Woman" "Viva Las Vega" "LeMans" im forgetting alot haha and so on and so on...so whats the deal has anyone seen "Devils curve? " Lets make a list of classic films PRE "Gumball Rally" circa mid 70s that star Ferraris or cool old euro cars.

thanks !!- john

2. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    forget to mention...i would love to buy "devils curve" if anyone found it!

Thanks!

3. SupercarGuru

SupercarGuru F1 Rookie
    Sponsor

Dec 14, 2003
    Fl
    Full Name:
    John Temerian
    wow im just answering my own questions...

The movie is translated from Italian into...

"The Devils Hairpin"

which starred Cornel Wilde...

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    There was a great movie with Kirk Douglas I believe called the Racers which had a lot of Mille Miglia footage & lots of Ferraris, Masers, MB etc

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I feel compelled to relate the following review from Road & Track, November 1957, of "The Devil's Hairpin".

Cornel Wilde, according to the publicity releases, has become a sports car enthusiast, but The Devil's Hairpin shows that his indoctrination in our sport was both sketchy and inaccurate. To quote the publicity briefly, we find statements such as "a sport that often offers its own American version of death in the afternoon" and "the most colorful drama since the spectacular jousting tournaments of the Middle Ages".

This seems to have been the spirit in which Mr. Wilde wrote the original story, collaborated on the screenplay with Edward Edmiston, directed and produced the film for his own Theodora Productions. He also plays the part of Nick Jurgin, the retired champion who now owns a bar in which the bartenders are all worn out, broken, defeated race drivers. The story in one warped nutshell is that the egotistical Nick won't marry the girl (played by his wife, Jean Wallace) he stole from his best friend (Arthur Franz) who put up the money that enabled Nick to become World Champion of sports car racing. (To complete the picture of infamy, the thankless wretch deliberately ran his brother off the road during a race, seriously injuring him and thus handily alienating his mother, who is played by Mary Astor). Nick is finally goaded into coming out of retirement to race the current #1 boy. After an hour of this, you finally get to see a race in which all of the former champions' enemies are assembled on the grid, snarling and glaring. If the implications of utter madness in racing had been less serious, hysterical laughter would have been in order. The race begins, these scenes having been shot at the Paramount Ranch course, which is just over two miles around. With this in mind, you may watch the big cars, including a Jaguar roadster, go flying by at about twice the possible speed, the drivers all leering, grimacing, laughing insanely, etc. Several spectacular accidents later, the hero naturally wins the race but with the novel twist that he fails to kill the opposing driver. After a promise to make an honest woman out of his girl friend, he is presumably back in everyone's good graces.
    Someday, someone will make a GOOD racing picture.

One of my books says "The Sports Car Club of America awarded Wilde with an honor in recognition of the excellence of this race film".

6. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I've been searchng for this movie forever. No chance.

The Racers I did find actually.

7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I saw "The Devil's Hairpin" on cable recently. Couldn't tell you what channel it was. It sucked.