RED CS | FerrariChat

RED CS

Discussion in '360/430' started by ChalStrad, Aug 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    #1 ChalStrad, Aug 18, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  2. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    ROCKIN' BABEEEE! you da trackmiester....

is that corsa? we need a close up of all the rock chips for us US pansies.

peter,

i'd sure love to hear your view of the gt2 if you can borrow one on the track

3. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    peppered my front bumper from LA to monterey last weekend.

4. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    boy rick, that looks like porsche paint it came off so easily.....

5. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i dropped my car off at premier motorsports this morning. david and i went over all the damage...more damage than i realized. the front bumper was peppered, the windshield was lightly peppered (and a big rock chip), the headlights were also peppered and the lower part of the hood also got lots of rock chips. david called ferrari to ask about getting a new stripe so he can repaint the hood. chris (parts guy at FOC) said the stripe was painted on. this is not good news because as we all now know the stripe is in fact a vinyl sticker. david explained this to chris. last i heard chris said there was no part number for the stripe in his parts book so he has to call FNA and/or italy to get an answer. i hope i'm not the first stradale owner to have to find a solution to repainting a stradale with a stripe!

i learned a big lesson. i'm DEFINITELY going to have david install some kind of stone guard to my front bumper AND to the headlights!

6. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Hey Rick,

Did you find out if they can repair the windshield stone chips? I saw what you were talking about up in Monterey. If so, how much do they want to charge for it?

7. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i took the car to premier motorsports today. in addition to the rock chip in the windshield the entire windshield was lightly peppered. the headlights had the same damage...like the front of the car had been sandblasted. not easily seen from a few feet away, but when you look close you can see it :( there were also quite a few rock chips on the lower part of the hood. there was enough damage to justify calling my insurance company. i'm waiting to see what they say, but most likely i'll have to replace the windshield (about $2500) and repaint at least the front bumper (i'm guessing $1000 or more) and maybe the hood as well. i'm not sure if they can fix the sandblasted headlights. i thought they could simply replace the plastic headlight covers that are peppered, but apparently they are sealed units. i might have to replace each headlight assembly ($3,000 each)!!! if we have to repaint the hood there is a question about the stripe. david freed called chris at FOC to ask about getting another stripe for the hood. chris could not find a part number for the stripe so he has to call FNA and/or italy. i hope i'm not the first guy with a stradale who has to repaint the hood. i should know more the next couple of days.

one way or other i'll get everything back to normal as soon as possible! then i'm going to install stone guard on the bumper and the headlights...i'm sure it will help minimize damage in the future.

8. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

dayum Rick - that sure became a costly trip!

My friend has the stoneguard material on a few of his F-cars including his Enzo... I think you will be very pleased with it.

9. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I have the same issue with my lights and front bumper :( My salesman told me when I first picked up my car that I should put on the stone guard but I didn't listen....

I now tell him I didn't know that Ferrari's paint has the tinsel strenght of a peanut shell ;)

10. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    #10 ChalStrad, Aug 19, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Giuseppe,

Rosso Corsa with red/black alcantara seats, an all black alcantara dash with red stitching and a black suede steering wheel.

The front of the car is peppered - but I do not care. It shows it is USED!!!

As to the GT2, my friend who brought one to Magny Cours last Apl and who is an almost pro racing driver says that it is awesomely fast and completely "sterile" - that there is no "pleasure" .... Have you ever seem the Top gear GT3 RS vs CS video? Very funny - go find it on:www.sleepy-fish.com
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    corsa is my favourite red!!!!

i have seen the video, most amusing....

"You see, I think a Ferrari is scaled down version of... God."

["and porsche a hopped up VW"]

i wouldnt define a gt2 as completely sterile, but perhaps: "sickeningly fast while being slightly disconnected". the car squats and corners amazingly and the power is actually dangerous to beginners in 1st and 2nd.... i do prefer my CS to my gt2's, especially in the feeling of lightness, tossability and easy handling in the bumpy corners; but gt2's are seriously fast. i may buy another and strip it out to 2800 pounds....

US have a fetish with paint chips, porsche guys also

12. andybm3

andybm3 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 12, 2003
    USA
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Rick,

Sorry to see the damage, pretty disapointing the paint quaility. My CS is at the dealer today and decided to add stone guard to the bumper and headlights after seeing yours.

13. jdcohenmd

jdcohenmd Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    I am picking up my stradale Saturday morning. Thanks for the posts, I had the dealer install the stoneguard before pickup.

14. 720

720 F1 Rookie

Jul 14, 2003
    So. Cal and No. Utah
    Full Name:
    Rick
    i'm glad you are doing this. i've had the occasional rock chip here and there in the past but never enough damage to warrant stone guard...BUT as i learned the hard way you can unexpectedly find yourself in a situation where there is quite a bit of loose gravel/sand on the road and before you know it you've got a lot of damage. if i had stone guard on my car i'm sure i wouldn't have had nearly as much damage. it may not protect against all damage, but i bet it would have helped a lot.

15. Buttuz4eva

Buttuz4eva F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Dec 14, 2003
    LONG ISLAND N.Y.
    Full Name:
    Challenge Farrelle
    guys its a race car its supposed to look used .

I would hate for you guys to see my 360 you would die with all the chips and scrapes i have on it

i think it looks mean that way oh well

hope everything works out for you 720 your still my hero even if your a little anal.

16. Hubert

Hubert F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2002
    The Left Coast
    How did you arrange the track day @ SPA? Does Ferrari have a euro pickup program for the CS?

17. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    So, what, they don't bother you at all??!!?? I admit they drive me crazy, even on my wife's car, much less a Ferrari.

Gary

18. homesite

homesite Formula Junior

Feb 22, 2004
    Fort Lauderdale Area
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I'm so crazy, I won't even take my Lamborghinis on the highway because of a rock chip chance.

19. watt

watt Formula 3

Jun 17, 2004
    Northern Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Giuseppe T Hemingway
    enough to use latex when i open road race... but my rig has a few chips all over and some above the windshield where no one would coat. it has no effect on the fundamental soundness of your rig.

gary we can afford a repaint... so why not drive it, put dogs in it, hammer it etc, etc??????? no one is going to say your paint was perfect at your funeral, so party!!!!!!

20. zsnnf

zsnnf Formula 3

Sep 11, 2003

Well said. My ZR1 Corvette has over 100K miles on it. I have put 3 windshields in it. The last one was destroyed when we passed a Viper at 180 mph on a dusty Open Road race. Yea, the front end need a repaint too.
    My F40 has 30K miles on it and the nose has been repainted too.

Drive 'em boys. That's what they are there for.
    I have no use for a virgin supermodel........
    :)
    Rick

21. PCH

PCH F1 Rookie

Apr 7, 2004
    Its not really the paint quality but more the low stance of the front end.

22. ChalStrad

ChalStrad Formula 3

Jan 22, 2004
    Lausanne Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Peter Mann
    Not the quality but the type. Ferrari explain that in the past an oil-based paint was used that resisted better than today's water-based paint: dixit Ferrari SpA

Anyway, as Rick says, they're for driving not for keeping pristine