Help - I need a quick and cheap vacation | FerrariChat

Help - I need a quick and cheap vacation

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kdross, Aug 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    My wife and I need to get away for a few days and I cannot decided where to go. We want to spend less than $1K total, and want to get away for at least 3-4 days. We live in NJ and are thinking of the Islands in the Caribbean, Bahamas, etc, however, we are open to suggestions. The goal is to spend some time together, so location and accomdations are not a priority.

Are there any recommendations as to where we can go and spend less than $1K? We need the vacation soon, so we cannot wait 2-3 weeks for the best rates.

Thanks.
    Ken

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
  3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Normally I would agree with the road trip, but we want to just kick back and relax. That does not mix well with a road trip. Sitting on the beach with a drink sounds really good right now.

Ken

4. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I suggest getting an isolated cabin up in New England, maybe on Lake Winnipesauke or something. Maybe you can get some fishing in too!

On the other hand, I'm sure you could snag some killer deals in Florida right now, if you manage the post-hurricane carnage.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Vegas. Inexpensive to travel to and stay at. Get a nice room and see the shows and sights. If you avoid the gambling it's a great place to spend time together.

6. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    If you're into scenery and off-road, hit Moab. Fly there, rent some SUV (trailblazer was what we got and was decent) and explore Arches and CanyonLands Parks. Kinda road trip, but definitely will feel like you're on another planet. Incredible place. Not everyone's idea of fun though, I have to admit it. :)

7. LetsJet

LetsJet F1 Veteran
    Owner

May 24, 2004
    DC/LA/Paris/Haleiwa
    Full Name:
    Mr.
    Ok, I almost didn't post because of the $1k limitation. That would be a barrier to places and ideas I would normally suggest. That said, I think you might be able to do this with a cruise package. Disney has their own island, they may be an option. I just don't see how your going to fly and get accomodations in your budget w/o working out some air/land package. I wish you luck and will help where I can. Another thing.....long shot ...is find an island that has time share promotion and see if they will work a deal if you evaluate it.

8. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Seems like everyone is missing the boat for you here. Sounds like the Caribbean is what you have in mind. I'd check the travel section of the paper or see what a large travel company has for a laste minute thing. A friend just got back from Aruba and I understand that's nice but may be over your budget. That's a pretty tight budget for most getaways that you'd fly to. Let us know what you decide?

9. Rexcoltrain

Rexcoltrain Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Wife and I flew to New Orleans a few weeks ago, stayed 100ft from the Quarter and ate my ass off for much less than $1k. When I booked, I checked the cost of the same trip for my sister in New Jersey, and it was around $550 for airfare and hotel. Expedia has great last minute package deals.

10. Stackhouse

Stackhouse F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 14, 2004
    IN YOUR TRUNK
    Full Name:
    CT.. AKA Pimp Daddy
    Catch a cruise! That is hands down the best form of relaxation! You can get some good deals if you look around. PM me if you need help. The little woman and I will be taking a cruise in October (2nd one this year!) We got such a great deal that we are treating some guests to a first time cruise! It pays to know the Pimp!

If you have never cruised give it a shot! PM me and I’ll call my boys and see if they can hook you up with a good deal. I think you can do it and stay on budget!

PD

11. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Go to Nova Scotia! Stay at a B&B!

12. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    http://dir.travelzoo.com/Cruising.asp

There's so many good, well-priced trips you can find on travelzoo.com. Unfortunately, they don't have a ton of last minute stuff; most of the trips are booking for the winter season right now.

I did find this though on there though:
    http://cheapcaribbean.com/packages/ShowPackage397.htm

St Maarten 7-night, air and hotel included, depart from Philadelphia, 1BR suite
    Depart on August 29, September 10, 11, 12, 17, 19, or 26
    $499 per person.

13. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Best adventure in the world: www.windjammer.com My wife and I have done 5 and are scheduled for our 6th this December.

14. chasking

chasking Formula Junior

Nov 27, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Full Name:
    Chuck King
    Get a sleeper compartment on a train through somewhere scenic. Best of both worlds.

15. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My wife and I are Carribean addicts, we've been to most of the islands, many of them twice. We had to schedule a quickie beach vacation with the kids a few weeks ago, and due to our procrastinating, we wound up scrambling for a place to go at the last minute. We wound up in Ft. Lauderdale of all places. We had cheap flights in and out, a nice Marriott beachfront hotel, plenty of great restaurants and shopping nearby, and a Ferrari store! I went with very low expectations and came home quite pleased. It wasn't glamorous, but it easy and cheap.

16. fanatic1

fanatic1 Guest

Nov 1, 2003
    columbus
    Full Name:
    philip
    travelzoo.com they're awesome! go next week for 399.00/pp to cancun. that includes air/hotel/and ALL food and drink! i've used them many times....always great

17. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Same here... I used them when I went to Venice last year. :)

18. triXXXter

triXXXter Formula Junior

Nov 11, 2003
    Ft. Worth TX
    Full Name:
    Steven G. Ogden
    VEGAS BABY!

19. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Or, better yet, you could rent my beach house at www.capesanblasvacation.com . It is at one of the most beautiful and secluded beaches in the U.S.A.

20. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Good luck, the carribean is full of honeymooners, so it will be expensive. With only 4 days you really don't want to waste precious time traveling.

Try a Band B in New England, if you can get in or go out to Montalk on LI, much different than the Hamptons crowd, more of a beach and fishing crowd.

I still think your biggest problem will be doing something within that budget last minute.

21. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    How about Montreal or Quebec City?

22. milstanselnino

milstanselnino Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2004
    MN
    Full Name:
    Jon P.
    Found a place yet? Isla Mujeres off the coast of Cancun is a great place.

23. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Ken, you're always welcome at our place. It's not the Bahamas, but the beach is close, and so is Wrigley. Tickets are included with the price, BTW!

24. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA

Gotta agree, never been there, but a bunch of friends of mine have, and they loved Nova Scotia. I have been planning to go to Quebec City for years too, it looks wonderful! Exchange rate has softened, but still decent...head north my friend!

Dave

25. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    A nice bottle of Vodka can send you to a different place quite cheaply.... =)